Solved - 1995 Explorer with a temperature gauge problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1995 Explorer with a temperature gauge problem.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

sigihagen

Reaction score
City, State
Chaska, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Limited
I picked up a 1995 EXP Limited with 200K miles on it and have been driving it a few weeks now. When I was hauling some furniture around the temp gauge went to hot/overheating. Rested the car and it went away. Drove back and it never went hot again for about 2 weeks. Then it came back and red lined. We changed the thermostat and sensor but it is still redlining. The hoses read 150 degrees so it is not overheating. Coolant is fine and there is no air in the system. So it must be the gauge itself. Had a mechanic check it out and he agrees. Wants $250+ to fix it! Right.

I prefer to replace the gauge in the dash myself but do not know how to do it. I hear it is hard on blogs but is it? Is worth it. I prefer to not put in an external gauge but will if I must.

Can anyone help me with instructions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Engine temperature sender

I suggest testing the engine temperature sender before replacing the indicator in the instrument panel. The sending unit is more likely to fail than the indicator. BrooklynBay has a useful thread that lists the resistance vs temperature for the sender.

Sending unit advise

We replaced the sensor as we found out that by grounding it the gauge went hot too. We replaced the thermostat as well at the same time.

Is the sending unit different then the sensor that sits just above the thermostat?

ECT sensor vs engine temp sender

We replaced the sensor as we found out that by grounding it the gauge went hot too. We replaced the thermostat as well at the same time.

Is the sending unit different then the sensor that sits just above the thermostat?

The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor reports the engine temperature to the PCM for air to fuel ratio computations. The engine temperature sender output drives the instrument panel indicator. On my 2000 SOHC V6 the units have different threads to prevent incorrect installation. The sensors screw into a bushing in the plastic housing. There is a compression ring between the sensor and its seat to prevent coolant leaks. The bushing can spin in the housing if the sensor was previously over tightened. If the bushing spins then the expensive housing must be replaced. Use care when removing and do not overtighten when installing the sensors.

I had a problem with the temp gauge in my 95 Ex. I solved the problem I installed an Autometer electric temp gauge far more reliable than the stock one. I have noticed that the stock will still read something occasionally

Tim

An easy way to check the gauge is to disconnect the sending unit to see if it drops to cold, then ground the wire to see if it goes into the maximum (overheating) range.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok doing this , Disconnect-Cold / Ground Overheat . If it does these 2 things does that mean the Sending unit is ~OK~ or ~Needs Replacing~ ??:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thanks for any help .

I have a 95 Eddie Bauer Explorer with the 4.0 engine,automatic transmission and 4x4. The engine temp guage is stuck on the first mark above cold. It will not shift in to overdrive and the O/D light is flashing. These two problems happened at the same time. Could there be anything in common with these two problems? It has every gear except overdrive. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Thanks BrooklynBay.
Due to my job I'm just now getting back on here. I found the problem. Once found it was a easy fix. The material on the face of the temp guage had lifted up right below the needle. It was rubbing the needle and therefore had the needle stuck. I do thank you for your response!

Back