Old member first time posting. My SAS. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Old member first time posting. My SAS.

Well I've been a member on here for a few years but have never posted. So for my first post I decided I would add my '95 to this SAS thread because I've done a couple of thing different than a lot of the others I've seen on here.

First, let me just say that I'm just an amateur and did all the fab work myself so go easy on me if there is something that you think should be changed. Second, everything has worked well. Besides already doing numerous runs also I've jumped the truck a few times now out at TDS and Lucernce Valley and everything has held up nicely.

So here it is. I used a high pinion D30 out of an '88 Cherokee but used leaf springs to keep it simple and low cost. For the leaf springs I used the main leaf from a front pack off a Wangler. I then took the rest of the front and rear leafs and made my own 7 leaf packs that keep the springs flat like they are on a Wrangler. This gives me enough room to clear 33's. I'd like to have customer packs made to give it about another 2 or 3 inches when I have the money but for now these are working well. For the rear I'm using the main and second leafs from the Explorer pack but then the rest are from an OME pack for an FJ40 with one additional leaf added. So they now have 8 thinner leafs.

Here is what I did for the front sprint mounts. The cross bar is 3 inch and the down bars are 3.5. All are .250 wall.

2.jpg

Here is how I did my shackle mount which is different than any of the others that I've seen on here. I wanted to keep the spring as level from front to rear as I could so the ride would be nice and the geometry would work well. So instead of having even longer mounts in the front I instead went through the frame for the rear and made a shackle that is 1.5 inches longer than a stock Wrangler shackle.

Here's some of it going through Crowbar.

Here's an old one of it before the SAS when it had TT and rear shackles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice fab work as usual man. Glad to see you're still around.

Thanks and I'm still around. I don't plan on getting rid of the truck anytime soon since it does everything I want it to and my wife still loves it.

Are you still running the welded on high steer arm? Have you had any issues with it?

Still running it and I haven't had any issues so far even with 5 years of wheeling with it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Great build love the rear bumper and tire carrier...

Cheers...

I have a 2001 sport trac 2wd and I was wanting to convert it to 4wd, is there any size front axle I could put in it? What size would fit or could I get one off a junk yard truck?

Great build love the rear bumper and tire carrier...

Cheers...

I have a 2001 sport trac and wanting to convert it to 2wd to 4wd is there a straight axle size I could use or maybe get one off an older explorer with a straight axle on it?

I used a Dana 30 off a Jeep Cherokee for mine. It is 1.5 inches wider than the factory width of the Explorer if I remember correctly and I moved it 1.5 inches forward so that the 33s I planned to run would have the same clearance from the fender as the 31s I was running had.

could you post a picture of the steering box installed? thanks.

could you post a picture of the steering box installed? thanks.

I don't have any of the box installed but I do have some from when I had to modify the bracket for the V8 swap.

The bracket in the old position.

P1010203.jpg

P1010205.jpg

The hole in the frame.

P1010206.jpg

The piece I removed.

P1010207.jpg

Welded in place.

P1010214.jpg

P1010215.jpg

P1010217.jpg

I've wanted to build a roof rack with a mount for a LED light bar for a while now. While talking to my nephew a couple weeks ago he told me that he had a bunch of 1 inch square tube that I can have plus a 40 inch light bar so I decided now is the time to build one.

I searched online to get an idea of what I wanted to build and found that most people using square tubing just did squared off corners which I didn't like. Instead I cut 2 inch pieces at 22.5 degrees to give it a 45 degrees corner. I also made it 4 inches tall because I didn't like the way 6 or even 5 inch tall racks look.

I started out by measuring the roof and decided to make the rack 83 inches long and 42 inches wide. Then I drew it out on my garage floor so that I could lay the tubing out to weld it.

20161022_145703_zpsg0iyb9xc.jpg

Once I had the frame welded I cut the cross braces and welded those on.
20161022_191314_zpsmbxlpdb5.jpg

After that I removed the old rails from the truck and cut plates to roof to seal the holes from the old inserts. I welded those on and painted the roof. I taped off the tops so that I had clean metal to weld to.

20161026_172547_zpsn7v8bun9.jpg

I then set the base on the roof, spaced it up from the roof and then cut down bars to weld to the plates.

20161023_160004_zpsfxfki1qw.jpg

20161023_160017_zps8o86t4sb.jpg

After that I welded the top frame together and cut the tube to connect the top and bottom.

20161023_175102_zpsp2rg4hmp.jpg

20161023_175116_zpssrivlup1.jpg

20161024_182031_zpsfexe3fii.jpg

20161024_182044_zpsobmdmqim.jpg

Then I made the base for the light bar and painted the rack.

20161026_172622_zps66nycdup.jpg

20161026_172633_zpsykot19ka.jpg

I test fitted it with the light mounted and decided I didn't like how high the light sat with the way I had the mounts. So I cut them off and lowered them. I also added aluminum sheet under the light to keep it from glaring off the window.

20161027_154923_zpsfcskvcne.jpg

20161029_114316_zps96njs9tj.jpg

20161028_190905_zpszltjx6yt.jpg

20161028_190915_zpsrvtlafgu.jpg

I was ready to weld the rack to the roof when my brother convinced me to make it a bolt-on so that if I ever need to remove it I can. So I cut out some tabs to weld to the roof plates and then painted them.

20161027_121047_zpsqongtudp.jpg

20161027_123942_zpsrdp7idx4.jpg

20161028_190545_zpsewbj3hrf.jpg

Well that suck's none of the pictures show up for me...

How about today? They are all on my photobucket and I heard they went down yesterday.

pics show up for me and they are :eek::eek:!! I wanted a "wow" emoji, that one says eek...what I'm trying to say is the rack, rear bumper, and fab work are sick!!

Did your Exploder not have a rack and pinion steering system? I have a rack and pinion on my 99 Mountaineer and looking to SAS, but I need to know how to make the steering work.

Yes, mine had rack and pinion. I used a steering box from a first gen Explorer when I did mine but I don't like the ratio. I heard the F150 is better but a friend gave me the Explorer one for free so that's what I used. My steering wheel take four turns lock to lock.

The Pictures of Steering Box are still not showing up. I am now seriously thinking of doing the same SAS as you did here. Love the look of your Explorer.

Sorry about the pictures. They are on my Photobucket account so no one can see them anymore. I'll see if I can find the originals and then upload them somewhere else.

If youre using firefox and a few extensions they will show up, at least about 80% of them.

Back