Back into Explorers Again. Bought a 1994 5 spd 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back into Explorers Again. Bought a 1994 5 spd 4x4

I finally decided I wasn't going to put another A4LD in my old 94 with 300,000km, so I went out and picked up another 1994 XLT, but this time with the 5 speed, manual shift t-case. Gonna use some parts off my old truck to fix this one up a bit, but it doesn't need a whole lot. I got some odd codes to figure out and ball joints & radius arm bushings to do, but otherwise it runs nice! Carpets just need a minor cleaning but there's no dents or rust on the body.

After my transmission blew up on my old truck 3 years ago, I was temporarily driving a 96 318 V8 Grand Cherokee. Was a nice truck, but did it ever drink gas with the full time 4x4.

Then I picked up a 1996 F250 Regular Cab XL 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel. I have been driving that the past year. I enjoy driving a diesel, but i'm getting sick of Regular Cab and Bench Seat. Also it's not 4x4. I'm not really using it for it's full potential either though, but with 2wd it gets decent MPG.
I picked it up because I got a good deal on it but i'm looking to sell it now after I get my new explorer all roadworthy. Maybe down the road i'll find a 7.3 Powerstroke Extended / Crew Cab, with 4x4 and a manual transmission. I doubt that will be anytime soon, as a 1994 - 1997 truck in nice condition is still close to 10 grand here.

Anyways, now I hope I have a reliable truck and I don't have to worry about blowing any slushboxes in the near future. Only other vehicle I will have after selling my f250 will be my 86 Mustang GT, and of course it's a 5 speed.

I guess I gotta start browsing these forums again and get all caught up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

twin stick!! I'm so jealous!
Yup twin stick this time! Nice and basic. I guess it's a rare option then?

Looks like we have the same things in common! Explorers and Foxbody Mustangs!

I don't think the second gens came with twin sticks, but I have no idea!
I now have a manual 1354 in my truck, just looking for a shifter for it. I'll be putting some sort of diff in the front, be it stock or solid axle. I think an SAS is just a pipe dream at this stage, but we'll see. I have to get through school first.

Completed half my lift, will be doing the rear this week.
I stuck a floor jack up and brought the rear axle to ride height, and the front tires still rub at the back of the front fenders. Will have to trim and install flexy flares

Attachments

• IMG_20150104_161824.jpg
    IMG_20150104_161824.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 181

Here are some pics with 33x10.50's with the duff 5.5 lift. There is a pic at the end with the 35x12.50's, but I had to find some used 33's to make it work until I do a body lift and trim the fenders.

Back