Recycled my lights/Filled holes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recycled my lights/Filled holes

Hey guys. Dumbed down my Explorer due to my job (removed basket rack and Daylighters). However, I missed having some sort of auxillary lighting...so I compromised and recycled my rectangle 55 watters. I hard wired them to come on when my Ex is in the "on" or running position. Wanted to use them as daytime running lights. They look good aesthetically and they put out decent lighting...especially since I work evening/night shift...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had this idea a long while back. I have a 99 explorer XLT and i use to have a 1996 X with the same rectangular fog lights. Except i would wire them as seperate aux apart from the existing aux switch for the fogs. Too bad explorers didnt come with upfitter switches lol

Nice stance btw

That looks good slaughter, I have two like that in the bumper hole of me 97, wired to fuse, and a relay triggered by high beams, with a lighted kill switch in the console. BTW what job makes you pull your rack down?

That looks good slaughter, I have two like that in the bumper hole of me 97, wired to fuse, and a relay triggered by high beams, with a lighted kill switch in the console. BTW what job makes you pull your rack down?

I was wondering the same thing...

Looks good, and I hate being the part pooper, but in most places you're not allowed more than 4 front facing driving/fog lights at a time on the road.

Sounds like you wired them so they work on the road.. and that's 5 lights at the front. Just be careful.

I was wondering the same thing...

It's not so much the rack itself that's the issue. I work private security/private investigations. I had to work a job where I basically had to tail a subject around for about 6 hours. I wanted to make the vehicle as generic looking as possible. An Ex with a big basket rack and lights all over would be a little hard to operate covertly.

"Hey, hasn't that SUV with the giant roof rack and unnecessary amount of light been following us for the past few hours?"

Looks good, and I hate being the part pooper, but in most places you're not allowed more than 4 front facing driving/fog lights at a time on the road.

Sounds like you wired them so they work on the road.. and that's 5 lights at the front. Just be careful.

Thanks for the tip, and I'll have to take a look. What would be the deal with the LED light bars as far as being street legal? Would that be considered "one light" since it spans the 40" or so across the bumper? Just curious.

Above the headlights is a no go, I think.

LED light bars are not street legal, lol. You'd blind people.

I can certainly understand why you'd want to be discreet in that line of work.

It's not so much the rack itself that's the issue. I work private security/private investigations. I had to work a job where I basically had to tail a subject around for about 6 hours. I wanted to make the vehicle as generic looking as possible. An Ex with a big basket rack and lights all over would be a little hard to operate covertly.

"Hey, hasn't that SUV with the giant roof rack and unnecessary amount of light been following us for the past few hours?"

You need a white Neon.

LED light bars are not street legal, lol. You'd blind people.

I would assume he'd only use them in high beam situations, like when there's no oncoming traffic.

Yeah. I obviously wouldn't use them on the streets under normal circumstances. Basically the same deal as having a bunch of Daylighters on the roof. Use then in extreme weather or offroad.

But yeah, those jokers are expensive.

You should probably look at your local / city or state laws, some states actually require that a vehicle may only have two headlamps and two fog lamps - and that any additional lights (especially driving lights) be covered when the vehicle is operated on the road.

LED light bars, like driving lights, are definitely not legal on the street, and given how bright they are and how dangerous it is when they are on and used to blind other drivers, I'd expect that reasonable cops would cite a driver under the same laws that make it illegal to operate driving lights on the road, or even to drive around with them uncovered.

You can probably get away with driving around with three fog lights if your state doesn't have any laws requiring only two fog lights, but having three instead of two may still attract unwanted attention from law enforcement. Anything other than two headlights and two fog lights underneath really stands out when driving at night, especially to any cops who are looking for the slightest excuse to stop someone.

If you're working as a private investigator and you're worried about your vehicle standing out, having three always-on lights is going to be a dead giveaway that you're following someone or that your vehicle is the same one they noticed before, given how few vehicles have three always-on fog lights.

Back