Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0 | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0

Turbo compressor map.gif
Well guys, I don't even have it yet and I'm looking at going turbo.

I think I'll be going STS style with the turbo underneath the the body. I'm hoping I can find room somewhere closer to the front to mount it. If not, I may just go classic style and cut the muffler out and install the turbo in its place.

Tim was kind enough to point me at a turbo for sale locally. I'm checking it out now. I sent the specs to James Henson to see what his thoughts are.

Here's the specs:
t4 F1-68 turbine .68 a/r housing 3" exhaust outlet with a 72mm compressor blade 4inch inlet, 2.5 inch outlet, journal bearing. Also, see compressor map attached. I have a vague understanding, and that concerns me.

Now, the next issue is oil routing.
Oil in to the turbo would be handled from a T off the oil pressure sending unit on the block. Return oil would need a scavenge pump to the top of the oil pan, or in the timing chain cover. The scavenge pump adds quite a bit of cost to the setup. I think saving a few bucks in this area would spell disaster. So, this seems to be the best pump out there:
http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Exa-Pump/Exa-Pump.html
Stainless steel oil lines will have to be used. As I read about under cab mounted turbo's oil issues seem to be a huge issue. This is going to require careful thought and routing.

My real issue is routing the air filter and compressed air up to the engine bay.
The frame rails will be the the way. I saw one guy notched out his frame for the plumbing and re-enforced the frame by welding metal around the plumbing line (3 inch or 4 inch hole). I'm concerned about running the two pipes and think this will be the biggest challenge. I really don't want that air filter under the truck.
See what this guy did on his ranger?

As for Maf? Pro-M all the way, in a blow thru design.

Fuel pump, injectors, sct go without saying. I'll be having James put together a care package for me along with the Pro-M.
Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump
Bosch uscar (EV6) 60lb injectors part # 108191

I'll recycle my boost gauge and wide band o2 from my supercharged 4.0 ohv.

I'll be using stainless steel for everything under the truck as rust always seems to be an issue.

Also. intercooling. I learned from my last project that cool intake air is incredibly important. People say on under cabin turbo's you don't really need it as the compressed air cools on the way up. Not good enough for me. Im going to go air/water so I have flexibility as to where I mount the intercooler. This could change, but intercooling of some form is a must.

My eye's are watering at what this is going to cost.

I see 02Limited turbo'd his, but he must have had quite a few issues and fell off the forum.

Not much info on guys completing something like this to be found. All input appreciated.

This will be a long process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wouldnt hooking up the IC get ride of that detonation? ? I would think you would want it working before doing any tuning..

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You are right on the tuning, sort of.
Remember with the iat sensor there are spark tables that pull timing based on intake air temp. This is a catch 22. If I tune it now to the temps without an ic working, the spark tables could be adjusted later for cooler air if required.
Im sure James has pretty good experience thru other motors where these tables should be based on iat's.
Even with the intercooler complete, it wouldn't be doing anything for drivearound tuning. James is pretty busy, so I may not even get wot tuning completed before winter.

Tomorrow is the last day at the track here, so there won't be any track times till next year.

ah crap. i was also hoping to run down the 1/4 before they closed for the year.
i called james the other day. he said he had just sold his house and has to be out by next friday if i am not wrong.
i also called drag mart don. they are sct tuners/dealers. they charge 200 for the tune, and 150 a hour for dyno. i am temped to drive there

ah crap. i was also hoping to run down the 1/4 before they closed for the year.
i called james the other day. he said he had just sold his house and has to be out by next friday if i am not wrong.
i also called drag mart don. they are sct tuners/dealers. they charge 200 for the tune, and 150 a hour for dyno. i am temped to drive there

Nothing against james but think a dyno tune would be best and fastest. ..:thumbsup: plus like to see those numbers:salute:

yes, dyno tuning is the best for setting max timing. Street logging is apparently the best to get a/f spot on, then go dyno for advancing the timing.
No question, dyno tuning is the fastest.

I'd want that intercooler completed if I were to go that route.

I'll see how James's schedule is. Im not in a huge hurry since I have a perfectly running truck, and the slow tuning has been perfect for me to work out my 'issues'.
It would have cost a bundle on the dyno to have mechanical issues.

I think the tuning James does remotely Is more of a loss leader for him than anything. He does need to focus on business that makes him real money if its there. I'd do the same, for sure.

Tim, I'll be watching to see how your Dragmart experience goes. If its a great experience, I just might focus on getting that intercooler rad and pump mounted and follow suit.

im going to talk to gord and see if he can help get the price down. he knows dave the guy that owns it really good.

My .68ar exhaust housing showed up on Friday. I installed it today.

That's great news!

Wow your track is closing already? I guess things are really different with the weather way up there. I was thinking, you guys have all that cold air but I guess if the streets and tracks are slippery it wont help.

Full boost at 3500, you have to be having fun driving that Explorer around now! Maybe you can make a video of what it is like from the drivers seat.
Congratulations!

I'll figure out something for a video soon.
I do want to take care of the higher boost detonation first though.

The data log wen't well. Merging on to the highway I hit 1 lb boost on reasonably light throttle (load of .55 at 2900rpm). Id say that's a good thing.

James sent me a couple of files today.
I did a wot pull today.

I run a bit lean in a couple of spots, but I think its pretty close.
Mt iat's are at 144 degrees at 10lbs boost. not bad, but it is getting 'cool' outside.

I started another thread as my boost equation is wrong.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415344
At 10lbs boost, I only get an output of -1.4. At -21 vacuum, the output to Livelink is correct. Me and excel did some quick and dirty adjustments, and I have a slightly different equation to try.

I was first car in line today at a red light on the highway.
Thought a quick video showing spool and acceleration might be cool.
My phone cam wasn't quite up to the task.

http://youtu.be/oYs46l1-CRw

Awesome!

That was so awesome I had to keep playing it, then I broke youtube and it wouldn't play again.
You better get some gas! lol.
That turbo spooling sounds freakin cool!

Bad ass!! Was that a 0-60 in under 7 sec??

I think its somewhere around 7 0 to 60.
I was actually heading to get gas before going home Lol.

I think its a bit deceiving how fast it is as you don't feel the turbo unless your pushing it a bit. I keep scaring my wife with the blow off valve, as it ended up being mounted along the frame about where the passenger sits. I should have kept the video running to catch that. It will vent air if you suddenly let off the gas even if your not under boost.

I really need to vent my pcv hose back to the intake, as sitting at lights sometimes that oil smell comes in the cabin. Not a great smell. Other than that, its the perfect daily driver. Its been perfectly reliable.

I could go with a smaller exhaust housing for a faster 1st gear spool, but then it might become an exhaust restriction at higher rpm's. I think its perfect where it is as it easily holds full boost thru the gears.

I just need to get off my lazy a$$ and finish my intercooler. Then id like to hit the dyno for curiosity.

Well done, it sounds great.

BTW, I might have to sell you a new speedometer, when I finally get mine fixed. I bought a cluster from eBay last year to fix my dying speedometer. It had 5 "miles" on it, but I didn't manage to notice the face going to 200... kph. So I installed it anyway, for $50 it was worth it. I swapped the face trim on it, and it works great as a new speedometer... but the odometer is also inside the same circuit board. I had hoped that it was not in the board, but it is and I can't change that. So I've put about 12k kilometers on it, and need to swap it out again. These electronics will begin to die in another few years. 20 years is a long time for much of this stuff to last, collect what you can before your vehicle gets that old.

maybe i should come in tomorrow with either evil or the 347 and run along beside you to see if i can get a video of it from the side as you take off. i know if i didnt know the truck and heard a turbo spool up off the line i would be like WTF???? lol

Don, I actually switched this one out already so it would show in kilometers.
The odometer was ran forward to match what the miles were to kilometers. I like to keep it accurate.

Tim, it would be kinda fun to try to get a moving shot of the truck. I tried showing the road and speedometer, but couldn't get the shot.

I did get a gopro as a gift. What I need for another toy is a drone so we could take cool shots of our trucks from above. Those drones are huge cash though. I'll see if I can find a suction cup mount and we could maybe mount it to the window? Its not easy getting good video safely.

So, I found my oil smell. My pcv valve had popped out. Its back in place (scratched up arm and all). I then ran tube with the fumes coming out of the catch can all the way to the back of the truck by the air filter so most of the fumes will be pulled back thru the motor. I just hope that in winter the condensation doesn't fill a low spot in the line and freeze. I'll know in a few months.

that one didnt come out so good for some reason. must be because i text it to you. this one is cleaner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQGT5Jq800

and yes, dons truck goes pretty damn good. one minute your sitting there, next thing you know your getting pushed into the seat! lol. i wasnt expecting that. another thing i was thinking on the way home. zero vibration as well. good job with that one.

video

Man that truck sounds like it is running so smooth too!
The exhaust sounds just right.
Tim's giggle at the end is a nice touch also!

Tim's giggle at the end is a nice touch also!
thats actually the blow off valve. but trust me. at one point i know i was giggling. i get a kick out of that kind of stuff tee hee hee!

Back