chefduane

Texas Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
None: SOLD 9/16
Existing system:
MACH system w/ cassette deck, RDS, 4" enclosure, stock door speakers, stock sub, stock amp.

So I've already picked 4 x Pioneer TS6844R's for the new door speakers and have on order a Kenwood KFC-XW800F sub - 8" shallow depth for direct fit into the existing box. I'm looking to get a new head unit to replace the existing unit, but keep the existing amp. I believe the stock amp is 85 watts which is fine for me. I'm no tub thumper.
I've looked at the Crutchfield options but they are way more than what I am interested it. I don't need/want Bluetooth, DVD, handsfree, multiple color changing display, Sirius XM, blah blah whiz-bang stuff. I am just looking for a nice head unit with multiple AM/FM, a single CD, with usb input for my Android phone or USB stick, and a clock display. I'm comfortable with doing the wiring myself with one of the Metra wiring harnesses.

Any ideas here? Do I have to go with a double DIN unit to fill up the enclosure, or would a single DIN unit fit with blank cover or maybe a storage shelf? Any ideas would be appreciated! I do have the overhead directional display with temp display if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Chef Duane

Anyone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't care about the look, a single din with a storage cubby will work. You'll need the dash kit.

Pioneer has a really cheap entry level radio with what you described. DVD/FM/AM..

For $20 more you can get bluetooth and colorful displays.
Honestly, invest a little bit of money into the actual thing driving the system. You can probably get a nice Pioneer single din in Texas for under $100 with Bluetooth. (Later on, you'll wish you got the bluetooth..)

Thanks for replying. My budget for the HU is probably $100-150. I think that should get me a reasonably capable unit. I did see one with an LCD and input for a backup camera. That kinda' looks interesting.

Quick followup: I know most folks around here are not high on Best Buy but they are offering free installation with the purchase of a $120 or more head unit. I like the JVC kwr910-bt and it would qualify for free install. Any thoughts on that?

Let me check up on it in the morning. Keep in mind, they still charge you for the wiring harness and dash kit.

Side note, I really dislike JVC. I know and have seen too many units just fail. Be it the buttons stop working or the radio just dies.

I have a JVC Bluetooth and it has been fine. I used the adapter with the pocket.

Yes, the x720bt is stocked at my local BB and qualifies for free install. Def will take a look at this one. I'm always open to a recc from a existing user.

Personal preference.. Pioneer over JVC any day.

So I went with a Kenwood DP-X500BT for the head unit. A little bit more than budget but I figure y'all were right about not skimping on the H/U. Got all the goodies... Pandora, Bluetooth, aux USB, and is a heckuva' lightshow in demo mode. Got it and 4 x Pioneer TS-G6844R speakers installed today. Self installed. Sounds fantastic! I have a Kenwood KFC-XW800F sub on order and will install that when it comes. Looking forward to some great tunes. All told it came to about $400 with the wiring harnesses, speaker pigtails, and dash mount kit.

So I went with a Kenwood DP-X500BT for the head unit. A little bit more than budget but I figure y'all were right about not skimping on the H/U. Got all the goodies... Pandora, Bluetooth, aux USB, and is a heckuva' lightshow in demo mode. Got it and 4 x Pioneer TS-G6844R speakers installed today. Self installed. Sounds fantastic! I have a Kenwood KFC-XW800F sub on order and will install that when it comes. Looking forward to some great tunes. All told it came to about $400 with the wiring harnesses, speaker pigtails, and dash mount kit.

Tub thumper.

But in all seriousness, a good sound system makes a huge difference...especially compared to the stock garbage that comes with most vehicles. Enjoy. And make sure to blast whatever "music" it is that the kids blast these days.

I don't know what the kids blast these days. I'm 55. I just want some really nice Sinatra!

Good choice. I always found the DP-X500BT more expensive than it needs to be for what it is. But it's a good deck.

Enjoy it! :)

I put a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X798 in my 2006. It has more bells and whistles than you want, but you don't have to use them. Nice thing is front and back USB ports, as well as an AUX port. I just installed a Clarion CZ302 unit in my daughter's Contour which was half the cost, fewer bells and whistles but still most of the basic stuff, and sounds good too!

Frankly there are too many options. I recommend hands-on searching to make sure you like real buttons or virtual buttons, rotary encoder knobs or not, and so forth. Ergonomics is key while driving and trying to change channels or tracks.

Well I finally got everything installed today and I am VERY pleased with the results. I had no idea that the stock sub was as crappy as it was! I used the sound deadening tape on the inside of the panel and did polyfil in the sub enclosure. Sounds great. Highs are now crystal clear, mids are mellow, and the K'wood exceleon really packs a punch for a 8-incher driven by only 85w. At least it packs a punch to me.
I am now a happy camper.

Many thanks to all fpr the input and advice and to Joe Dirt for his writeup on the stock sub remove/replace.

Chef Duane

Good to hear everything worked out and you're happy.

Now I need to get my lazy ass to buy a radio and install it.

Back