05 rear wiper & washer stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 rear wiper & washer stopped working

Cuzzie

Reaction score
City, State
New Castle, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi, our Family has a 2005 Explorer. The rear windshield wiper quit working so we replaced the wiper motor. The rear windshield wiper still does not work and the windshield washer is not working either. We can hear clicks inside the black box attached to the rear windshield motor when we try to wash the rear windshield and we can also hear clicks when we change the intermittent switches on the turn signal arm for the wiper settings. Any ideas where to start looking now? We are lost. Thanks for any help.

Fix???

Just currious as to if you ever figured out what was wrong.. I'm having the exact same problem with mine...

Hi, our Family has a 2005 Explorer. The rear windshield wiper quit working so we replaced the wiper motor. The rear windshield wiper still does not work and the windshield washer is not working either. We can hear clicks inside the black box attached to the rear windshield motor when we try to wash the rear windshield and we can also hear clicks when we change the intermittent switches on the turn signal arm for the wiper settings. Any ideas where to start looking now? We are lost. Thanks for any help.

Just currious as to if you ever figured out what was wrong.. I'm having the exact same problem with mine...

Welcome aboard! :salute:

Could be several things: fuses, relays, washer pump, multifunction switch, wiper motors.

I would start by checking the fuses and relays.

The information on the fuses & relays is contained in the owners manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

Here is the thread for replacing the multifunction switch: How To: Replace Multifunction Switch in 3rd Gen Ex

Here is some info from my owner's manual. I have an '02, yours may be different. Check the owners manual.

I apologize for the size of the pics but I wanted you to be able to see them.

There are 2 fuses related to the wipers/washers in the fuse panel located in the passenger compartment. #8 is a 30A Fuse for the front & rear washer relays and the front wiper control. #9 is a 15A Fuse for the rear wiper coil and contact:

FuseBox1Custom.jpg
FuseBox2Custom.jpg

There are 2 relays related to the washers located on the reverse side of the fuse panel. #4 is the relay for the front washer pump. #6 is the relay for the rear washer pump:

FuseBox3Custom.jpg
FuseBox4Custom.jpg

There are 2 relays related to the wipers located in the power distribution box located under the hood. #54 is the wiper run/park relay. #59 is the wiper high/low relay:

PowerDistribution1Custom.jpg
PowerDistribution31Custom.jpg

There is a relay related to the wipers in the rear relay box located on the rear quarter side passenger trim panel. To access this box you must remove the trim panel. #17 is the rear wipers relay:

PowerDistribution32Custom.jpg
PowerDistribution4Custom.jpg

My washers were out in my '02 when I bought it. I got the part at the dealer. I think it was around $40. It took me about 20 minutes to change it out. It's located near the bottom of the reservoir towards the front of the vehicle. There are 2 hoses that are just pushed on and an electrical connection. The pump is just pushed into the reservoir. All parts required where included. I think it even came with instructions. Here is a diagram. #8 is the pump, #9 is the pump seal:

Dead Link Removed

I hope this helps out! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Back