Prepping for Kenne Bell install.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prepping for Kenne Bell install....

Justawajz

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mountaineer
OK, so I picked up a Kenne Bell blower for a 5.0 Mustang and plan to put it on my Mountaineer. I'm trying to get everything together before I start fabbing everything to get it to fit up right. So far I have 42lb injectors, 255 walbro fuel pump, 90mm maf, and a 93 Mustang p/s and a/c accessorie bracket(for the snout support. Now I plan on getting it tuned, and I figured with the pump and injectors I shouldn't need a FMU. One thing I was wondering though, I see alot of the KB blowers use a bypass valve. My KB dosn't have one.. Would it be smart to use one? I don't know how much parasitic loss I would have without one. Also how does one calculate the new belt length with the blower mounted. And lastley do you use any sealant/gasket on the connections to the plenum and the blower. Sorry these are prob stupid questions for somone thats putting this on to ask.. But I've never delt with one of these before. Any help would be amazing. Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What ECU are you going to use? You can't run the Mountaineers ECU if you are running Mustang Accessories. You will have to take a HUGE step backwards, and run a OBD-I ECU, and a Distributor...

..at which point many things on your Mountaineer won't work right. Like your gauges.

Ryan

How do you plan on making an adapter?
Yes, you do need the bypass or you fuel economy is going to be 1 MPG.
I dont know if the belt will line up if you use the Mustange brakets.
Do the belt last after the SC is on.

How much was the KB and what size is it? Does it come with a lower manifold?

What ECU are you going to use? You can't run the Mountaineers ECU if you are running Mustang Accessories. You will have to take a HUGE step backwards, and run a OBD-I ECU, and a Distributor...

..at which point many things on your Mountaineer won't work right. Like your gauges.

Ryan

I'm not using the actual Mustang accessories just the bracket so I can bolt up the support bracket for the snout. I will continue to use the Mountianeer power steering pump and a/c compressor. Just gonna have to fab a plate with spacers to fit them to the Mustang bracket. There was a guy on a Ranger fourm that put a 5.0 Ex motor in a Ranger and did the same thing just with a smaller blower.

How do you plan on making an adapter?
Yes, you do need the bypass or you fuel economy is going to be 1 MPG.
I dont know if the belt will line up if you use the Mustange brakets.
Do the belt last after the SC is on.

How much was the KB and what size is it? Does it come with a lower manifold?

The Kenne Bell "should" bolt right up. The only thing that sux is that I'll need a standard Mustang lower intake manifold(or a nicer aftermarket one if it will fit). It's not gonna match up with my GT40 lower at all. Also the snout will come out a little bit farther than it needs to be so I'll have to get it machined down to the proper lengh to align with the belt. Anyway, I got the kit for $1,000 and it's in pretty good shape overall. Thats pretty much what I was thinking with the bypass valve but it dosnt have a place to put one on unless I cut a hole to mount one. All the lower manifold has is a few holes for vaccum lines.

Back