• Register Today It's free!

Some stuff for off roading

NudgE^SIKBRO

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
Hey guys, I have an 04 Limited 4.6 4x4 and have a camping trip coming up. All the boys im going with have real 4x4s, Land Rovers, Land Cruisers and Hiluxs and they want to do a bit of off roading. My truck is stock but I'm planning on fitting a set of 265/70 16 tyres on a set of 16x7 Ford rims from an Aussie 2005 Fairlane which are +35 offset. Will they fit ok? also is there anything else I should do or know about taking it off road, the tracks wont be hard core and my truck will be fine but the only off roading I have ever done is on my front lawn :) I cant really do a lift because there isnt time to get anything shipped from the U.S. to Australia in time.

Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, I have an 04 Limited 4.6 4x4 and have a camping trip coming up. All the boys im going with have real 4x4s, Land Rovers, Land Cruisers and Hiluxs and they want to do a bit of off roading. My truck is stock but I'm planning on fitting a set of 265/70 16 tyres on a set of 16x7 Ford rims from an Aussie 2005 Fairlane which are +35 offset. Will they fit ok? also is there anything else I should do or know about taking it off road, the tracks wont be hard core and my truck will be fine but the only off roading I have ever done is on my front lawn :) I cant really do a lift because there isnt time to get anything shipped from the U.S. to Australia in time.

Cheers

Those tires will fit fine, those wheels are quite a lot of positive offset, should be fine though I ran 265/70/16 with no lift no problem but my wheels were -6 offset at the time. Too bad you can't order a BTF spacer lift before your trip, that would really give you more clearance for off-roading, but you will be fine for simple trails.
One hint just from my 2cents is take some coolant with you or check it before you go for any leaks.. Mine somehow magically leaked out when i was out in trails

Have fun:thumbsup:

What is the offset on the factory rims? will the +35s stick out or sit too far in?

What is the offset on the factory rims? will the +35s stick out or sit too far in?

Not sure what your factory rims are, the more the positive number the more they stick in, and the more negative the number the more they stick out (wider).I would assume stock rims are usually between 0 and +6 offset. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

if you lose coolant off roading, just pee in the radiator or find a creek. Off roading brings out the creativity in people when stuff starts breaking, which it does and will.

I fitted one of the Fairlane rims with 285/75s and while they rub on the plastics they seem to fit ok aside from that, the 265/75 should be fine

I fitted one of the Fairlane rims with 285/75s and while they rub on the plastics they seem to fit ok aside from that, the 265/75 should be fine

just to check, crawl under your truck and check to see if the inside of the tire rubs on the upper control arm or other bits.

as far as other accessories go, bring:

a tire plug kit,
a bottle of Slime http://www.slime.com/shop/tire-sealant/
a short coiled air compressor line with a tire chuck (if someone has a compressor on board, or the local trail has an air hookup)
some quick set epoxy (jb weld is fine, just in case anything breaks)
RTV silicone (i carry both normal and hi temp in case i need to fix a gasket when I'm out)

just a few quick, cheap things that are good to have both on and off the trail :thumbsup:good luck

Fitted up the 265/75 16 BFG Muds, they fit perfectly. They don't rub on anything that I can see, feel or hear. The tyres are fairly noisy but thats to be expected with mud terrains. I used the 16x7 Fairlane rims which as I said before are +35 offset, they sit spot on the same position my factory 17x7.5s sit so I'm really happy. It has lifted the truck a good 1.5 inches too which is what I was hoping.

Back