Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

Because you told me you were out of them the other day, and all you had were the aftermarket keys. Otherwise I would have.

Ah....well I am all restocked :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just did this on Saturday. Took about 1/2 hr at the dealership and they charged me 63.00 out the door for key cut and programming. I got a quote from another dealer for $45 but was going to have to take off work to do it so I ended up paying the extra.

Some what off topic question but do the new Escapes have this also? My mother-in-law has 2013 SEL and would like to do this if available.

Just did this on Saturday. Took about 1/2 hr at the dealership and they charged me 63.00 out the door for key cut and programming. I got a quote from another dealer for $45 but was going to have to take off work to do it so I ended up paying the extra.

Some what off topic question but do the new Escapes have this also? My mother-in-law has 2013 SEL and would like to do this if available.

An Escape would require a hardwired system.

worked on 2014 explorer xlt in Miami FL

Hey guys,

Would like to contribute to the thread by adding that the keys and instructions user jmr061 provided are legit and remote start works on my explorer which is a '14 xlt w/liftgate.

jmr061 sold me the 5 button config key, I had them cut at the dealer and spent a good 15 minutes educating my service rep on the procedure. After 20 minutes, the tech returned and was grateful to learn that you can indeed enable remote start via IDS.

So good luck and remember to take the time to educate your reps/techs,most dealers are just really busy and will be skeptical but at the end grateful.

Got the whole thing done for under $260, since I let the dealer cut and "program" my 2 new 5 button keys (you can do the programming yourself, I just wanted to throw a bone) jmr061, good looking out!

thanks

Thank you Jason. Dealership was skeptical but literally only took 15 minutes. $30 of labor and I now have a remote start on 2012 explorer xlt. This is awesome. I'm sharing with friends that have explorers. You are genius.

Welcome to the Forum mdowdy.:wavey:
It would be helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so it appears in the margin.:thumbsup:

Peter

Ah....well I am all restocked :)

Will need keys soon, Just bought a 2013 Explorer XLT saw this thread and read it twice to make sure I understood it all, had a appointment for tomorrow to install remote start. Called this morning and asked service guy about the IDS process and that the XLT already had the remote start in it and all that needed to be done was to enable it. He had never heard of that and I asked him what the part number was that I needed to buy and of course he read me the one listed in your first post saying that it was 2 keys only. I asked what all came with the kit and he was unsure, but he has agreed to at least go through the process with me but he is saying that I would need keys first before trying to enable it, if it works at all. Service guys still swears that there is a module that needs to be put in under the steering wheel to make the system work. So I will let you know how everything turns out tomorrow. Thanks for the post and I hope I'm able to make them understand what needs to be done and then I'll be buying a set of keys from you.

Cruiser

Will need keys soon, Just bought a 2013 Explorer XLT saw this thread and read it twice to make sure I understood it all, had a appointment for tomorrow to install remote start. Called this morning and asked service guy about the IDS process and that the XLT already had the remote start in it and all that needed to be done was to enable it. He had never heard of that and I asked him what the part number was that I needed to buy and of course he read me the one listed in your first post saying that it was 2 keys only. I asked what all came with the kit and he was unsure, but he has agreed to at least go through the process with me but he is saying that I would need keys first before trying to enable it, if it works at all. Service guys still swears that there is a module that needs to be put in under the steering wheel to make the system work. So I will let you know how everything turns out tomorrow. Thanks for the post and I hope I'm able to make them understand what needs to be done and then I'll be buying a set of keys from you.

Cruiser

Just verify you have the hood pin, which you should, but double check if you haven't. Remote start will not enable without it.

Just verify you have the hood pin, which you should, but double check if you haven't. Remote start will not enable without it.

Yes hood pin is there looked for it yesterday after reading your post. We will see in the morning. :hammer::hammer:

Well I thought I walked into the dealership this morning but after talking to the service rep I thought I was at the local swimming pool. He was doing the backstroke, claiming that after further checking he was certain that my 2013 XLT did not have the components to make the remote start work without buying the remote start kit (DA8Z-19G364-A) because it contained modules needed for the system. I reminded him that just yesterday he was willing to hook my truck up to his IDS system just to check. His response was that he did extensive research with the vin and was told it didn't exist in the truck. I told him I wasn't done researching this and I didn't want his remote system at this time.

jmr061 I would like to verify that the remote start can be enabled prior to having the 5 button keys and can be programmed at a later date?

Cruiser

Well I thought I walked into the dealership this morning but after talking to the service rep I thought I was at the local swimming pool. He was doing the backstroke, claiming that after further checking he was certain that my 2013 XLT did not have the components to make the remote start work without buying the remote start kit (DA8Z-19G364-A) because it contained modules needed for the system. I reminded him that just yesterday he was willing to hook my truck up to his IDS system just to check. His response was that he did extensive research with the vin and was told it didn't exist in the truck. I told him I wasn't done researching this and I didn't want his remote system at this time.

jmr061 I would like to verify that the remote start can be enabled prior to having the 5 button keys and can be programmed at a later date?

Cruiser

I apologize for your service person being ignorant. Do as others have done...tell them if it works, it is free....if it doesn't then I (yes me) will pay for their time (I would need proof they did it correctly and it failed).

You do not need the keys ahead of time but if you only have one key or the vehicle has 4 keys programmed (vehicle can be programmed with a max of 4 IKTs) to it then the dealer will need to program the keys to the vehicle (if you have two existing keys and none have ever been added you can get them cut and program them yourself following the instructions in the owner's manual).

Called a buddy that works in Fleet Maintenance for the city that I'm employed with and he has a IDS, he said he would help. Past that hurdle so I'll be ordering the keys when I get off here. I'll try to push/educate the dealer or just go see my buddy and take him to lunch for his time and efforts.

I do have 2 keys but don't know how many have been programmed to the truck, is there a way to tell?

No need to apologize and No offence was taken in your PMs lol (you gotta try harder than that to offend me) Thanks for your assistance in trying to assist with my problems with my dealer.

Cruiser

unbelievable. i dislike when companies play this kind of games... "hardware is there, they just need to flip the switch", but they won't tell you this, instead charge you 300+ to install a whole remote start system from scratch.

unbelievable. i dislike when companies play this kind of games... "hardware is there, they just need to flip the switch", but they won't tell you this, instead charge you 300+ to install a whole remote start system from scratch.

Ford does provide dealers with information on this however dealers choose not to look it up etc. Ultimately it falls on the dealer for not knowing where to look or just being too lazy to do the research.

Walk Thru to activate tutorial/video

Hello Jason, as of Monday I'm a 2015 Explorer Sport owner! I have the (5) button IKT's. I've tried to remote start it a dozen or so times with the engine off, in Park, without the alarm tripped, etc... to no avail. I'm sure she came with the remote start hardware but I don't know how to set it up. Do you have a tutorial I could read or a Youtube on the procedure? I also have a friend that is interested in a couple of remote start IKT's. I'll forward him your information.

Thanks,
Ham

Welcome to the Forum HamHands.:wavey:
Is this the OEM remote start you are talking about? Since you are talking about an IKT that means you have a key start ignition instead of the push button, correct? One of the problems people run into using the OEM remote start is not pressing the lock button first and then the 2X remote start button. According to the Ford website the Sport has remote start regardless of whether you have the 400B or 401A package. The 401A has the keyless entry with push button start and the IA keyfob.

Peter

Hello Jason, as of Monday I'm a 2015 Explorer Sport owner! I have the (5) button IKT's. I've tried to remote start it a dozen or so times with the engine off, in Park, without the alarm tripped, etc... to no avail. I'm sure she came with the remote start hardware but I don't know how to set it up. Do you have a tutorial I could read or a Youtube on the procedure? I also have a friend that is interested in a couple of remote start IKT's. I'll forward him your information.

Thanks,
Ham

The owner's manual shows/tells you how to use the system. If it is equipped with it and not operating properly please see your dealer.

Jason,

Just ordered the remote start key! I am super excited. I have been lurking and reading all the threads and decided to pull the trigger after a few 90+ degree days where I wish I could get the AC blasting from inside the house.

Jason,

Just ordered the remote start key! I am super excited. I have been lurking and reading all the threads and decided to pull the trigger after a few 90+ degree days where I wish I could get the AC blasting from inside the house.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back