anthony d

Reaction score
City, State
NY/NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
'15 Explorer Sport
3,300 miles

When the cooling fan kicks on, it is incredibly loud. To the point where I can hear it over the radio. My '06 Expedition wasn't like this, neither was my '09 Focus, and neither is my new '14 Focus.

Is this something to be concerned about? Is it normal for these motors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'15 Explorer Sport
3,300 miles

When the cooling fan kicks on, it is incredibly loud. To the point where I can hear it over the radio. My '06 Expedition wasn't like this, neither was my '09 Focus, and neither is my new '14 Focus.

No, it is not normal at all. I don't hear mine at all when the engine is running and didn't in my previous 2011 Limited either. Have the dealer take a look at them before they may possibly fail.

Peter

Ok, thanks.

'15 Explorer Sport
3,300 miles

It's the same as yours on my 2015 Sport (4,700 miles). Much, much louder than my wife's S5 and my last car (2005 Jaguar XKR). Sometimes people glance over at the noise when walking past me at stoplights, etc.

I think it is normal, however. No change since new and it's not like it is a bearing noise or anything.

rgds, Fred

No, it is not normal at all. I don't hear mine at all when the engine is running and didn't in my previous 2011 Limited either. Have the dealer take a look at them before they may possibly fail. Peter

Peter, it's normal for sports. The fans move a lot of air and are LOUD!

i've also noticed that my fan is making more sound or speed (i think) compare to cold weather. its getting warm in here, i can hear and tell when i parked and turn off the radio. maybe the fan has speed selection for specific weather?

Thanks everyone... Found someone local with the same truck, and their fan is just as loud. I am guessing that it is normal, but I am gonna keep my eye on it anyway.

Peter, it's normal for sports. The fans move a lot of air and are LOUD!
Thanks for that info but I have the same 3.5L Ecoboost engine in my MKT and have not noticed the fans at all.

Update: I just came back from doing some errands and when I parked in the driveway I didn't hear fan noise at all. I opened the hood to see if they were indeed running and they were. The engine idling made more noise than the fans.

Peter

…Any chance you are referring to the seat cooling fans…...was driving my wife's 2015 sport last weekend….. can't hear the seat cooling fan at low speed but when cranked up it is very pronounced.

…Any chance you are referring to the seat cooling fans…...was driving my wife's 2015 sport last weekend….. can't hear the seat cooling fan at low speed but when cranked up it is very pronounced.

No, definitely not.

I agree regarding the seat cooling fan on high being somewhat noticable, but no, I'm talking about the engine cooling fans when they are running on their (what I hope is) highest speed. This only occurs after I've been sitting in stop and go traffic for an hour or so in 88F+ weather. You can tell they are moving air (or trying to move air) at a high velocity. Frankly, they sound frantic. I heard another Sport yesterday in traffic and it was doing exactly the same thing. They drop out of this speed to a lower speed almost as soon as you cut off the engine. I'll take a video sometime if I have the chance.

Not knocking the Sport at all, it's just a fact that when the engine cooling fans are running on high they are loud enough that they attract the attention of people on the street.

Rgds, Fred

Ya my fans are pretty loud as well

my 93 explorer dose that too, gets really loud over the radio, kinda has loud wine sorta like if i was to have a supercharger. i think it might have something to do with it being new.

My 2015 limited has this fan noise too, loud squealing sound when after turning off the engine. Its under warranty, but if new fans do not fix the issue, I rather wait.

Is there any concern that these fans stop working once they squeal? Our Ex has done about 7000 miles, but it I hear the sound for about 6-7 months already, and it does not seem to get worse.

Mine squealed a few seconds after shut off... there was a recall on both engine cooling fans.

My passenger side cooling fan squeals, it is very easy to hear when I park the car in the garage. It even squeeks if I turn it by hand.
On my last service I mentioned it to the service writer and showed him the information notice, the Tech checked the car in the noisy dealer garage he said it is operating as designed, sigh.
However, the car still runs within normal temp ranges.

It will until the fans fail.
Peter
Exactly... You'll notice the Tech's comment on my invoice said the fan 'is operating as designed', he did not say it was not squealing. Is it 'designed to squeal'?
Makes me wonder if some dealerships, or even the Tech's, don't want to do this work unless it is a clear cut failure because that is easier to explain to Ford so the Dealership will get reimbursed for the warranty repair. Is this an example of excessive paperwork stifling customer service?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exactly... You'll notice the Tech's comment on my invoice said the fan 'is operating as designed', he did not say it was not squealing. Is it 'designed to squeal'?
Makes me wonder if some dealerships, or even the Tech's, don't want to do this work unless it is a clear cut failure because that is easier to explain to Ford so the Dealership will get reimbursed for the warranty repair. Is this an example of excessive paperwork stifling customer service?
Dealerships don't perform warranty work until they get the approval from the factory.
That's why some will charge you a diagnostic fee first and if it falls under warranty; you will be reimbursed.

Back