Squeaking / Squealing Brakes | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking / Squealing Brakes

Welcome to the Forum Rio28.:wavey:
By all means go ahead and contact Crystal. She'll be sitting there just anxiously awaiting your PM. ;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am new to this forum but share this common problem with my 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. I have been to the dealer on 2 occasions to specifically fix my brake squeak issue. I have read numerous posts in this thread and am understanding this is a much bigger issue than we are being led on to believe. It is annoying, embarrassing,and frustrating driving around town and having the squeak occur every time I slow down or stop. It occurs at all times of the day on hot or cold starts. I started having this issue at 4,000 miles and now at 18,000 miles the squeak is just getting louder and more frequent. There is plenty of pad on the brake shoes according to the dealer. Can anyone assist me in escalating this issue to someone at a higher level than the dealer. I see Crystal from Ford Service post on this thread. Can I have her contact info to push this higher up.

My 14 Sport had the squeal same as you at 12,000 miles and they determined it was rears not front. I actually took some video on my iPhone to show them. They replaced rear rotors, calipers, and pads and sent them to engineers in Dearborn.

...I see Crystal from Ford Service post on this thread. Can I have her contact info to push this higher up.

Hi Rio28,

Welcome to the site! I received your PM this morning and sent you a reply. I'm always happy to do whatever I can to help.

...By all means go ahead and contact Crystal. She'll be sitting there just anxiously awaiting your PM. ;)...

LOL! Thanks for the laugh, Peter! :D

Crystal

1200 kilometers on my Sport. And they just started squealing in the Horton's line. Rears I think. Hmm? No seriously heavy braking at all.

Haven't read the full thread, perhaps it'll go away? No?

1200 kilometers on my Sport. And they just started squealing in the Horton's line. Rears I think. Hmm? No seriously heavy braking at all.

Haven't read the full thread, perhaps it'll go away? No?

Hey cdnpont,

Has your Explorer been to the dealer for inspection? Fill me in on the details, including model year; I'll see how to help.

Mariel

Thanks for the reply Mariel,

1400 kilometers and it's not near bad enough yet to warrant a trip in, but we'll see at the 8000 kilometer mark when due for it's first major. No squeal at road speed.

Regardless, we're absolutely loving the thing! It's a serious vehicle.

But thanks for the consideration, it's really uplifting to hear from a Ford rep.

Cheers, Mark from Burlington.

Thanks for the reply Mariel,

1400 kilometers and it's not near bad enough yet to warrant a trip in, but we'll see at the 8000 kilometer mark when due for it's first major. No squeal at road speed.

Regardless, we're absolutely loving the thing! It's a serious vehicle.

But thanks for the consideration, it's really uplifting to hear from a Ford rep.

Cheers, Mark from Burlington.

You're welcome, Mark! I see that you've reached out via PM and I'll get back to you there.

We're happy to help! :thumbsup:

Mariel

My brakes have this but now also when heavy breaking you can feel the rotor and hear a grinding when giving the brakes a good amount...would ford do anything for this or since break wear isn['t covered i am on my own trying to find the bad rotor/s

Unfortunately I was unable to resolve my brake issue upon my THIRD VISIT TO THE DEALER. I thought getting a regional manager involved would pressure the dealership to fix my issue but they seemed uninterested in even inspecting the rotors or looking at the brake pads to look for any signs of issues. It was basically a simple test drive and them telling me squeal is normal and no other remedy is necessary. SO IRRITATED that i have to keep going back making time available, leaving my car and waiting for the same diagnosis.

Ford covering its eyes and ears

I have had Fords all my life and I can't believe Ford is being blind to this. I had my brakes squeal on my 2014 Explorer at 9k, 10k, and 13k in 3k miles Ford still can't get it right. When my I took it in at 13k the service center said sorry your warranty doesn't cover after 12k but I had, had it in for so many other things and twice before for brake Ford had them do the job. I believe Ford knows about this issue and is refusing to do anything about. As always its going to take some one getting hurt or killed before something gets done.

Squeaky brake Ford solution

I had mentioned what my Ford dealer did back on 3-26-2015 with my 2015 explorer. They did remove the pads and shave off the sharp edges. The best way they described was take a piece of new chalk at 90 degrees on a chalk board it will squeak. Once the sharp edges are gone it squeak goes away. My squeaky brake problem has been gone and braking hasn't been an issue. Thank GOD!!!

Unfortunately I was unable to resolve my brake issue upon my THIRD VISIT TO THE DEALER. I thought getting a regional manager involved would pressure the dealership to fix my issue but they seemed uninterested in even inspecting the rotors or looking at the brake pads to look for any signs of issues. It was basically a simple test drive and them telling me squeal is normal and no other remedy is necessary. SO IRRITATED that i have to keep going back making time available, leaving my car and waiting for the same diagnosis.

You got to visit a new dealership these guys dont get it.

I'm hearing that for the 16 model year the Sport and Interceptor big rotors have a design change. Something to do with harmonic balance being affected by the amount of ventilation holes in the rotor design. Looking to find out more. They also put out a new pad composition with edges chamfered like was mentioned previously.

I've had this same issue and it's only getting worse with 6,000 miles!!! Crazy!!! They squeak like crazy when cold but once I start driving and they warm up it goes away. But very annoying every single time I get in to drive the car.

Mine do the same squeal when cold and then goes away when warmed up.

Also, I have a break pedal pulse when decelerating from the highway. About 1/3 brake pedal pressure when this occurs.

Took all wheels off and measured runoff on all 4 rotors. All rotors had run off less than 2/1000ths of an inch which is beautiful.

Only 14k miles.

I'm having the same problem, cold brakes make noise, once warmed up goes away. My dealer says they have never heard that one before. Just wondering whats the fix?? This is my first ever Ford and really like it, but with 5000 miles it should not be making brake noise. Wonder if I made a mistake going away from my chevy's....... Oh I have a 2015 Exlporer XLT.

US Squeaky brake Ford solution
I had mentioned what my Ford dealer did back on 3-26-2015 with my 2015 explorer. They did remove the pads and shave off the sharp edges. The best way they described was take a piece of new chalk at 90 degrees on a chalk board it will squeak. Once the sharp edges are gone it squeak goes away. My squeaky brake problem has been gone and braking hasn't been an issue. Its now 8-13-2015 and my squeaky problem. The dealership did this for me at no cost.

I just moved into a new place with a parking garage and I too now notice a brake squeal when descending the garage at low speeds. I don't hear it any other times.

Squeaking brakes on 2014 Explorer

I would want a noise like this resolved as well with only 5,000 miles. Have you had a chance to take it to your dealer yet? If you’d like help with having this looked into, please feel free to send me a message. Don’t forget to include your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name so I can help!

Cory

I purchased a 2014 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor that had 98 miles on it in May of this year and now have approximately 1,800 miles and the brakes squeak when backing up and it's somewhat embarrassing. On occasion it may also happen when driving and braking and there is an odd noise. I'll be taking it in to Golf Mill Ford in Niles, IL this coming Tuesday to have them take a look at it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased a 2014 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor that had 98 miles on it in May of this year and now have approximately 1,800 miles and the brakes squeak when backing up and it's somewhat embarrassing. On occasion it may also happen when driving and braking and there is an odd noise. I'll be taking it in to Golf Mill Ford in Niles, IL this coming Tuesday to have them take a look at it.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Hope the dealership is able to fix this issue for you.

Peter

Back