• Register Today It's free!

Dumb 98 5.0 spark plug question

G8rbait

Reaction score
City, State
Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 5.0L AWD XLT
K, this may sound stupid. I went to change out my spark plugs on my 98 5.0L EX and was able to get all but one out. Not sure what number it is, but it's the second from the left looking from the passenger side. It appears to have a heat shield around it and I can't seem to get any tool in to remove. If any of you have tackled this please let me know how you did it. I'm relatively mechanically inclined and something like this just frustrates me. Thanks for any help guys. L8r...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be plug #3. Nothing special needed, just a long extension on the socket to reach the plug.
Removing the tire, the protective flap and going through the wheel well gives you a straight shot.

Thanks pumpkin for the post, but maybe I didn't describe it well enough. The plug itself has a metal circular shield around the outside which is preventing me from getting a tool far enough down to the shaft of the plug to get any grip. I've no problem getting access to the engine block or other plugs. Not sure why this is the only one with a shield around it. I've tried several different sockets/plug extractors, but all are too wide and won't fit.

Spray some PB blaster, or good penetrating oil around it, grab it with a big pair of channel locks and wiggle it out like a loose tooth. Try to go back and forth with it-grab it and twist if you have to

Attachments

• yeahthat.gif
    yeahthat.gif
    576 bytes · Views: 329

Thanks pumpkin for the post, but maybe I didn't describe it well enough. The plug itself has a metal circular shield around the outside which is preventing me from getting a tool far enough down to the shaft of the plug to get any grip. I've no problem getting access to the engine block or other plugs. Not sure why this is the only one with a shield around it. I've tried several different sockets/plug extractors, but all are too wide and won't fit.

I ended up using a REALLY cheap spark plug socket I had rusting away in an old box to get mine out. It turns out the cheapy socket is very thin walled. Usually not a good thing but in this case it was a godsend.

Back