2003 ford explorer, clicking noise when heater is on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 ford explorer, clicking noise when heater is on

crx_ef8

Reaction score
*sigh* I been have soo many problems with this car.
everytime when I turn on the heater I hear a clicking noise under the dashboard. it sounds like a thump thump, and if i turn it over the ac its gone...

went to a shop they say it would be around 1k to have it fix!
anyone know what this could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its the "blend door" and yes you have to pull the dash out to replace it-i work at ford

its a plastic translucent looking square that when you twist the hot/cold knob it proportions the hot/cold air into the cabin...if you have rear air you will have a rear one too in the wheel well inside....

It's probably the blend door actuator and you can change it without removing the whole dash. You will need to remove the floor console, the panel below the steering wheel, and the dash brace on the driver's side. Then there is just enough room to replace the actuator. Check out this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198271
There are some good pictures in there posted by Fairfaxexplorer to show where the actuator is located and what it looks like. If you have more questions about doing it I suggest you add a post to that thread. Good luck.

actuator

thanks guys for taking the time to post the stuff on replacing the blemd actuator you dont have to take the dash out to do it it took about 3 hrs to get it done and that was going to get the part thanks again it saved about $700

definately the actuator. I replaced mine from this website. Garage tried to tell me it was the blend door and would cost around 600 bones.

Yep, read that post over a few times and have the instructions with you.

I did mine 2 months ago. Isnt a horriable job. 8mm ratching wrench is a big must I found. I did have to trim a little bit of the underside of the dash( 1/2inch by 4 inch lip that was in the way sorta), but you cant see it.

Cost- 60$ for the actuator. Get the ford one! I know the aftermarket makes them, but not worth the 20$-30$ maybe on what you save.

there is another fix where they replace the blend door with a stainless one. I dont see that needed as the actuator has a plastic small gear that busted (the clicking noise you are hearing).

Or you can rip the dash out, lol. your call ;)

Keep us updated and if you need any help along the way post back.

lol, i forgot to read your last post> ! . Glad you got it fixed. Told ya it wasnt that bad.

Wonder the ford shop worker/Patrick has tried just to replace the 60$ part. :) But he gets payed to work on fords, so why not rip out the dash ;)

Want to fix your actuator heater or click of Dead, go to the below link; http://www.redhouseon7th.com/redhouse/howto/2003FordExplorerBlendDoor/index.html
Thanks to this site I just fix my 2003 Explorer. I bought the original part for $81 including tax. Part# 1L2Z* 19E616 *CA

Good find! Do you know there is a thread on our forum for replacing the Blend Door Actuator?

Here is the Explorer Forum thread for replacing the blend door actuator: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140

Question - if this is a known problem with the Explorer why aren't they fixing it?! I'm having the exact same problem and have NO heat - this morning it was 13 degrees out ! Hoping I'm able to fix it for the parts price and soon !

Was pretty cool that I found the problem on here though !!

Still think Ford should be responsible for it though!

Lisa

Question - if this is a known problem with the Explorer why aren't they fixing it?! I'm having the exact same problem and have NO heat - this morning it was 13 degrees out ! Hoping I'm able to fix it for the parts price and soon !

Was pretty cool that I found the problem on here though !!

Still think Ford should be responsible for it though!

Lisa

Welcome aboard! :salute:

Good luck with the fix. Be sure to keep us posted!

How To: Replace Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex

how do I know if its the door or the actuator?

how do I know if its the door or the actuator?

Welcome to the forum Mmennuti. :salute:

If you here the clicking noise when you change the temp selector, it is most likely the blend door actuator. Click me for the how to on replacing the blend door actuator.

im having the same problem except it only happens when i turn the knob as far as it will go but if i back it off a lil still on the red it stops and still blows out a great amount of heat. works great besides the clicking noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im having the same problem except it only happens when i turn the knob as far as it will go but if i back it off a lil still on the red it stops and still blows out a great amount of heat. works great besides the clicking noise.

Does cold air come out when you have the A/C on? How about any clicking when you turn the dial all the way to cold? Sounds like your actuator is on the way out. That's how mine was and one day it wouldn't move from cold, just clicking.

Back