• Register Today It's free!

Key FOBs program but won't work

thoyer

Reaction score
City, State
Warminster, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
2008 Explorer. Two key fobs both stopped working at the same time. Reprogrammed the remotes as a pair, they both work during reprogramming. Cycle key 8 times, locks cycle, press remote button, locks cycle, turn ignition off, locks cycle. Press button on either remote, nothing happens. Repeat above sequence, same result.

It appears like the FOBs are being recognized during programming, but do not work after programming.

I'm open for ideas?????

Thanks,

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The same thing happened to me (2010) last week. I even ordered new FOBs from Amazon. Before you do that, try this. I disconnected my batter for 30 seconds, reconnected and the FOBs work... Weird I know, but it's worth a try.

The same thing happened to me (2010) last week. I even ordered new FOBs from Amazon. Before you do that, try this. I disconnected my batter for 30 seconds, reconnected and the FOBs work... Weird I know, but it's worth a try.

Good idea. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Thanks

Hi thoyer,

I wanted to touch base with you and see how your key fobs are doing. Any updates?

Crystal

I finally got some free time today so I disconnected the battery for a minute or so. I took the opportunity to clean the battery terminals. Reconnected and the FOBs now work.

Thanks for the suggestion FROADER.

Tom

Well, it worked for ONE day. This morning I went to get in the vehicle and neither FOB worked............... again...............

So, looks lie disconnecting the battery was a Band-Aid. Any more ideas on how to fix this for good?

Tom

Hi thoyer,

I wanted to touch base with you and see how your key fobs are doing. Any updates?

Crystal

I had some time today to work on this a bit more. Tried disconnecting the battery but this time it made no difference. Reprogrammed the FOBs after reconnecting the battery. Each programmed just fine, but still would not lock/unlock the car after exiting program mode.

I have all three factory service manuals for this Explorer but could not find any references to the key FOBs and how to troubleshoot them. I did check for codes with my scanner and there were non.

What module controls the interface with the key FOBs?

Tom

I had some time today to work on this a bit more. Tried disconnecting the battery but this time it made no difference. Reprogrammed the FOBs after reconnecting the battery. Each programmed just fine, but still would not lock/unlock the car after exiting program mode.

I have all three factory service manuals for this Explorer but could not find any references to the key FOBs and how to troubleshoot them. I did check for codes with my scanner and there were non.

What module controls the interface with the key FOBs?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Since I'm not a mechanic, I'm not the best resource for technical advice. If you're still running into issues, I recommend making an appointment at your dealership; they'll be happy to help!

Crystal

Had the same problem. Disconnected the battery, waited for 30 seconds, programmed the remote and it's been working ever since. It's been 3 weeks.

Sounds like it has to do with the receiver on the vehicle getting locked up or something since the FOBs work once you do a hard reset on the system.

Oh, and what's up with all the scripting going on with this site lately... it keeps locking up my browser and making it run so slow here???

Sounds like it has to do with the receiver on the vehicle getting locked up or something since the FOBs work once you do a hard reset on the system.

Oh, and what's up with all the scripting going on with this site lately... it keeps locking up my browser and making it run so slow here???

X2...
this is by far the worst forum for scripting and ads.....

Back