BODY MODS (old skool style) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BODY MODS (old skool style)

Here's my '97 Explorer 2wd 5-spd when I bought it
EXBEFORE.jpg

This the way she looked after the first round of mods
100_0221-1.jpg

And now is under construction (heavily influinced by the likes of Gearge Barris, Ed Roth, Bill Hines etc.) with some old skool body mods.

With the help of a '94 Explorer Sport as a parts truck
EXparts.jpg

I am building 'The One Ford Never Built' So here we go
100_0567.jpg

100_0658.jpg

100_0672.jpg

100_0681.jpg

100_0726.jpg

100_0727.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alright so are you gonna lower it a little to help tuck the wheels and make it easier to unload heavy objects, or will it b just a show truck, and what are your plans for the inside

It's aready lowered 3". Once I figure out what i'm doing for a motor I'll then figure out how much lower I'm going to go.
Not an all out show truck but a nice cruiser that will be only driven on sunny days and to cruise ins.
As for interior, that will have to built from scratch, something like this
0609cct_07_z+1956_ford_panel_truck+.jpg

only NOT in Seafoam Green.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

holly cow can i send you a truck to build

It's aready lowered 3". Once I figure out what i'm doing for a motor I'll then figure out how much lower I'm going to go.
Not an all out show truck but a nice cruiser that will be only driven on sunny days and to cruise ins.
As for interior, that will have to built from scratch, something like this
0609cct_07_z+1956_ford_panel_truck+.jpg

only NOT in Seafoam Green.

Why not? :fart:

I've got my '51 F1 Grille surround fabed up.

I can't wait to see how this looks. The early 50 F1 grill is one of my favorites. I've seen one started in a Ranger, but never finished.

Nice fab work so far!

I am gonna have to stop by more often
this looks like a ton of work but the results are gonna be awesome

My Brother-in-law just made up my mind for me on that one. He just got finished restoring a '79 Mercury Bobcat Sport and gave me his parts car (same frame as a Mustang II) But it's going to be a 27hr drive to get it so that will have to wait until summer.

pick it if by putting it in the new panel truck ;)

any updates on this?

any updates on this?

I've finished welding up the roof (no pics 'cause it looks exactly like the last pic I posted of it, just reversed)

Now on to the rear bumper and hatch

WOW..crazy awesome skills!! this is awesome! I have no clue about body work, but for the past 3 months I have trying to decide how to gain some headroom for a third seat, or making a drop in the floor where the spare tire used to be to create some type of room...threads of major builds like this give hopes to guys like me..lol

I finaly came up with what to do with the hatch. Being that I've decided to go with a major taillight mod and think it looks 'hookie' when someone just builds a box where the OEM tails mount and leave the notch in the hatch, I decided to relocate the latch to the bottom so that I can weld the taillight filler to the hatch.
0042.jpg

Then shaved EVERYTHING else
0012.jpg

Oops Double post

im diggin that...awesome work!

I must ask why not go with a tailgate style thing that flips down or opens up like the excursion and opens left and right

I must ask why not go with a tailgate style thing that flips down or opens up like the excursion and opens left and right

Engineering nightmare to pull that off without water leaks everywhere.
My 1st choice was acually full barn doors, but that is even worse.

I understand the water nightmare but if u used barn dors off of a delivery van you would have all the weather stripping, with your metal work you would be able to cut and mold the barn doors to fit the explorer opening

In my experience barn doors are more noisy, almost impossible to keep from rattling if not from the beginning then definitely when they get a little age on them. And they never seal up as well.

I've never worked with them so I'm going off of what seems attainable, but I understand and it would be more body work to get them to fit and look good where as what he has now looks cool and I cant wait to see the final product, I would love to be able to do that kind of work and it come out looking nice.

where ya putting the tag ?

(looks awesome by the way )

Back