New rotors and pads, now brakes get HOT, what did I do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New rotors and pads, now brakes get HOT, what did I do?

94Jo

Reaction score
City, State
lou.ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 navajo
I just replaced my well worn rotors and brake pads, following Glaciers write up. Before i replaced them, the passenger side break got very hot and seemed to stick. Well, after $115 in new parts and a few hours in 95 degree heat, the brakes still get hot. The Navajo drives a lot better and brakes better, but i can still smell the heat and feel it after a drive, What is sticking? I thought I lubed the caliper "slides" I guess you could call it. What makes my brakes stick and get hot? Help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the truck pulling to one side? Sounds to me like a sticking caliper. Although if it were sticking badly you'd know it, since you'd only be able to drive a mile or two before smoke would start pouring out.

Did you lube the slides with the specific break grease?

Its not to the point of smoke pouring out, it almost got that bad with the old brakes, but these just get warm enough to notice. I lubed the slides with coastal "disc brake caliper grease" or something of the sort. Maybe just didnt get adequate lubrication? Is there somewhere beside the slide that I should lube? TIA

Anybody else ever have this happen? BUMP

If the old brakes were getting hot and still had some material on them, I'd say you have sticky calipers.

Did the pad fit into the caliper smoothly, without to much trouble? I had some from Advance that were extremely tight, to the point where I had to hammer them into the caliper slides. Consequently, they wouldn't retract properly and stuck to the rotor.

There was a little resistance to putting them on, but nothing extreme, I figured it would losen as I pressed the pedal and let them relase a few times. Should I just regrease the slide? Or is there another part I can grease? Any tips? thanks

I just replaced my well worn rotors and brake pads, following Glaciers write up. Before i replaced them, the passenger side break got very hot and seemed to stick. Well, after $115 in new parts and a few hours in 95 degree heat, the brakes still get hot. The Navajo drives a lot better and brakes better, but i can still smell the heat and feel it after a drive, What is sticking? I thought I lubed the caliper "slides" I guess you could call it. What makes my brakes stick and get hot? Help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Exactly what parts did you replace for $115?

yeah i just replaced the brake pads, and a caliper on my 93 explorer but since i plan on buying a truck this summer, i left the rotars. when i first replaced them i took it for a 5 minute drive and they were fine but the next day the ####ers were smoking and i could smell the burning in the cab so i stopped and fortunatly i was by a lake and i poured water on them to cool them off. its been over two weeks and they still heat up but they have not been smoking. so now i have to wrip the ***** apart again and do the ball joints, still dont know why they ####ed up

I got two rotors and two sets of brake pads for $115. They have lifetime warranties. They havent smoked yet, but I havent taken them on the highway either until I get this worked out.

Sounds like a caliper is dragging.

Check you break hoses. On my F-150 work truck I was burning through pads because the caliper would not release all the way. Come to find out the break line had a weak spot in it. So it would buldge when I hit the breaks and hold pressure in the line even after I let off the break pedal.

Should I just regrease the slide? Or is there another part I can grease? Any tips? thanks
The pins aren't causing the problem. The piston in the caliper is sticking.

Check you break hoses. On my F-150 work truck I was burning through pads because the caliper would not release all the way. Come to find out the break line had a weak spot in it. So it would buldge when I hit the breaks and hold pressure in the line even after I let off the break pedal.

x2- I had this on another older vehicle- the lines collapse inside, allowing fluid to pass under pressure, but not return. I bought brake calipers thinking they were sticking only to find they didn't help. 2 hoses later and the problem was gone.

if I was doing the brakes I would insist upon new rubber brake lines, and also new calipers. I also like to do a gravity bleed of all the old brake fluid. But be careful not to let the resivior run dry. Hell, while you are putting money into your x replace the caliper slides as well.

Back