Battery drain on a 2002 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery drain on a 2002 Explorer.

heyscuba

Reaction score
ok,.. got a battery drain of 0.60 to 0.62,...
when I pull fuses # 1 (marked PJB)
the drain goes to 0.29 to 0.30
and when I pull fuse # 29 the drain goes all the way to 0.04 to 0.5,....

so, I think it must be in that area of the drain in the 2 PJB fuses,...
(Passenger Junction Box's,...)
so, must I now open them and start pulling them,...?
also, I can only find one PJB,... where is the other one,....? :p:

Help,....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

0.6 Amps not THAT big of a draw. How long after shutting the key off was this measurement taken? How fast is your battery draining? How old is the battery?

thanks for the responses,...
I think I may have forgotten an important thing,...
to let the meter sit for 40 minutes after connecting it,... so that 0.62 reading may be off,...
but the problem started after coming home from like 6 to 10 day trips and the car sitting in a parking lot all that time,... now it drains over night, but it's much colder now,..?
the battery in a year old,... it's a 5 year battery, still have the receipt, O'Rielly says
it's checking out good,... AAA also says it's checking out good, alternator too,...
lost on this,... O'Rielly said they would replace it, but doesn't think it is the problem,..

also,... lets talk fuse boxes, I'm confused,...
there one under the hood, I started there,... there are 2 fuses mark #1 and #29,... when I pull them the drain goes away,.. each fuse takes half the drain,...
in the book those are marked 'PJB' (is that passenger junction box?) so does this mean they
and if so, where are they,...? I found the one by the E-brake release,
Is the other one just the opposite side (top side) of this wall of fuses? or is there another fuse box somewhere,..?
and how can the drain be split between these 2 boxes,...?

for now, I just parked and went on a trip,.. I pulled the 2 suspicious fuses, so hopefully the car will start,... ( I bought a booster too,...! so I can jump it my dang self now)

Do you have a good wiring diagram? This will help greatly. There may be only one junction box in teh passenger compartment. This would show up on the wiring diagrams. The wiring diagram will also show which parts of the J/B the fuse #1 and #29 are powering.

Do you have a good wiring diagram? This will help greatly. There may be only one junction box in the passenger compartment. This would show up on the wiring diagrams. The wiring diagram will also show which parts of the J/B the fuse #1 and #29 are powering.

I do not have the wiring diagram,... have no idea how to get one,... not much of a mechanic here,...

:salute:
Isn't there supposed to be a something on this vehicle that stops the battery drain, and won't allow it to drain past a certain level,..? I recently heard something about that.

Yes and no. There is a battery saver relay, it is basically just a timer that turns off certain things after about 15-20 minutes. It does not monitor battery voltage and shut off things when it gets too low.

I also have a 2002 Explorer that has a overnight battery drain. I have yet to find what is causing this drain. When I disconnect the positive terminal and reconnect it, the headlights go on and off for a split second. Is this normal? This happens regardless of where the headlight switch is set at (ON-OFF-AUTO). Relay 51 pulls in (Auto Lamp Relay). I've removed the relay, reconnected the pos. terminal, and the headlights do not go on.
Do I have a bad relay here or is there something else that is draining the battery?
Also, would leaving my GPS plugged in the cigarette lighter overnight drain the battery?

I also have a 2002 Explorer that has a overnight battery drain. I have yet to find what is causing this drain. When I disconnect the positive terminal and reconnect it, the headlights go on and off for a split second. Is this normal? This happens regardless of where the headlight switch is set at (ON-OFF-AUTO). Relay 51 pulls in (Auto Lamp Relay). I've removed the relay, reconnected the pos. terminal, and the headlights do not go on.
Do I have a bad relay here or is there something else that is draining the battery?
Also, would leaving my GPS plugged in the cigarette lighter overnight drain the battery?

do you have an amp meter or multi meter,..? what I did was take one of these, unhook the positive cable on the battery put the meter between the post and the cable by clamping the leads to the cable and the battery post, you'll have to let it sit for a while 30 minutes or so and now the meter will read if there is a drain,...
with no drain you want it to read like 0.03 or so that is an acceptable level, mine was showing a 0.62 drain which I hear is a big drain,... so then with the meter showing the drain I opened the fuse box under the hood and started pulling fuses and watching the meter, if the meter doesn't change it's not the right fuse, If the meter goes down to an acceptable level, there's your drain, then use the manual to find out what that fuse controls and that is your problem. ie; if it's the dome light fuse, then the dome light is on or there's a short in the dome light wiring,... my drain came down to fuses # 1 and 29, these are big 60 amp fuses, when pulled each fuse took half the drain, so for now I pull those fuses at night or when I park it for a long period of time,... to cold to chase down the drain,......... good luck,... :salute::salute::salute:

Just to throw in...

I remedied my overnight drain when I replaced the Driver side door (ajar) switch.

Does your alarm goes off for no reason, any of the interior / gauge cluster / idiot lights on with the doors closed, alarm wont arm when you attempt to actuate?

ok,.. got a battery drain of 0.60 to 0.62,...
when I pull fuses # 1 (marked PJB)
the drain goes to 0.29 to 0.30
and when I pull fuse # 29 the drain goes all the way to 0.04 to 0.5,....

so, I think it must be in that area of the drain in the 2 PJB fuses,...
(Passenger Junction Box's,...)
so, must I now open them and start pulling them,...?
also, I can only find one PJB,... where is the other one,....? :p:

Help,....

Back