supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 67 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sooo, did you go with a forged crank Tim? Are those I beam rods or H?

nooo. i wanted to replace everything it came with, so i bought the cast crank.
i also called a few more shops today. i am going with one shop a few friends have gone with, and they never had any problems. the guy was even trying to help figure out what went wrong with it over the phone as well. so next week when the crank and bearings come, i will pull the heads, look at the bores, any cam bearings as well. i probably will, depending what the bores look like, take the block to them and get them to look it over and replace the cam bearings if they need. on a brighter note, my cam, lifters and gaskets came in today.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

curiosity was killing me, so tonight i went out to the gas chamber (my new name for my propane heated shed), and pulled the heads off, and yanked out the pistons

10877387_10152540680087513_1764375207_n.jpg

10866647_10152540680462513_1997431471_n.jpg

10818927_10152540679917513_330814356_n.jpg

10799407_10152540679602513_801773216_n.jpg

10859491_10152540679347513_587296188_n.jpg

cant really tell if they can be honed or not. i know the pic is crappy. i sprayed the cylinders with penetrating fluid then thought to take a pic. i will find out i guess when i take the block in and get them to check the cam bearings.
however, this also goes to show how bad the crank was walking around.

10877424_10152540679217513_1900222059_n.jpg

from right to left, top row is 6-8 cylinders, and bottom row is 1-4. the center bearings are from the rods, the outer row is from the caps.

however, my cam, lifters gaskets cam tuesday, the crank, and bearings came today. thought that was fast because i ordered them on monday. my spare bedroom is now my parts warehouse.

10393755_10152540683802513_4776175831259458465_n.jpg

i called the shop that i will be taking everything to. they said i can drop it off when i am ready, so i may do that not next week, but the week after that, and hope whoever is working on it isnt hung over from new years.

Don't be sorry brad. It's not like either of us knew what was wrong with it. Hell, if you go back a few pages, I even said it drove home like a champ! Just glad I caught it now, and it not getting worse.
I'm going to see if I can find some steel at work today so I can make a engine cradle for it when I take it to the machine shop, and for when I get the 302 out and have something to set it on instead of the stand

Flexplate

What flexplate was on the back of that engine?
Mankorn's was a 28 oz.

Out of curiosity what fits on the back of those cranks anyway, is it supposed to be a regular 302 flexplate?

Have you checked the trans coolers for restrictions? How many do you have on the explorer that had the 347.

by the looks of it, it is a a factory flex plate balanced to the stroker kit.
i would think it will except a regular 302 flex plate. there is one way to find out, i have a bone stock one off either a 96 or 97 explorer 302 kicking around in the shed. i will go and check it later, and take a pic or two.
as for the cooler, it had the stock one in the rad, and the stock external one mounted in front of the rad. IIR, it did have different rubber lines either going to, or coming out (red in color not black) that looked like they had a leak at the fitting (more then likely loose, but i never did check).

so for what its worth, here are some pics

torque converter. this came from lentech. there are no visible signs of it pressing into the crank

10884488_10152551940942513_270448983_n.jpg

flex plate. 347 on the left, 302 on the right

this is the side that faces the motor

10881235_10152551941667513_1369705379_n.jpg

backside

10867070_10152551941592513_1450484655_n.jpg

once again, nothing is showing it hitting the crank

and the depth of both of them. it is hard to see, but they both are the same height

10859517_10152551941607513_241065275_n.jpg

i also found a few numbers on it. one on the plate

10859348_10152551941377513_68805164_n.jpg

and one on the ring gear

10872172_10152551941122513_174999954_n.jpg

if you ignore the weights on the 347, i cant say if that would look like a stock ford number. i know the numbers on the flex plate are not ford engineering numbers, google will become my friend later.

and the cradle i made so the block wont be flying around in the back of my ranger when i take it in, and also will be what i store the 302 on when it comes out.....and never has to go back in. or thats my story and im sticking to it.....

10877444_10152545877122513_1393130816_n.jpg

I have a question.
How do you check and make sure there isn't pressure forcing the crank forward when the motor is seated to the trans in the vehicle? this is seeming to be something pretty important.
Ive just never read of how, or if its possible.

thanks jon, and i will add those when the motor comes back from machining.
don, i think if you dont have a certain clearance between the flexplate and converter....i think....

I have a question.
How do you check and make sure there isn't pressure forcing the crank forward when the motor is seated to the trans in the vehicle? this is seeming to be something pretty important.
Ive just never read of how, or if its possible.

The torque convertor, with the nuts not yet installed, should be able to move slightly back and forward. I've never seen the case we keep reading about, where the TC is not seated yet they got the engine in and bolted it all together.

I've been part of installing about 12 engines or so, and each time when the TC nuts went on, there was a little play available(not enough for the TC studs to go back and out of the flexplate) for the TC to move backwards. The nuts would pull it up to the flexplate.

BTW, the 347's that Woody builds are 28oz engines(unless you pay big for an internal balance), the flexplate will be a common aftermarket 28oz unit. Mine is too and he bought it(and balanced with it) for me.

2 small little updates
the first one is something that goes back to the beginning of summer with the vibration i had. i up to now normally pull the front drive shaft out for the summer, but put it back in for the winter (it doesnt get driven a lot anyway, but it dose get driven). i put the front back in about a month or so ago, but didnt really drive it to much. i took it for a ride, and the vibration felt like it got worse (i figured because i tilted to diff to the correct angle as the rear of the transfer case). so i had the front shaft from the 347 in the shed and figured i would try that. i remember reading in brads thread that they were high speed balanced, where mine were not. put the 347 front shaft in, no vibration, or whurling sound most guys get. yay me!
the second was also some good news. i called the shop today to see if they had found anything with the 347. to my surprise they had already tanked the block, and honed it, and all is well with that. block checked out a o k according to them. the cam bearings are also good, same with the pistons. they did say they ordered new rings for it. they said the old ones were kinda on the meh side. that and i am sure the ring gaps changed a little after honing it as well. they will be balancing the crank in the next day or two.
so, so far so good.

That's not just good, that's great!
You just might not have to sell your house after all!!

Excellent, and a great way to say Happy New Year!. I hope it keeps going that well.

Awesome! Also, now to find a shop to do a high speed balance. Most shops look at you with a tilted head when you ask them to do that on an explorer drive shaft. Is that a double carden or single now?

shaft

I am glad you got the shaft. lol. The high speed balanced one that is.
That is very interesting. I know that from the factory the shafts used to be marked and installed a certain way to reduce vibrations. R&R instructions always had you mark the shaft so you could install them the same way as well. There were sometimes weights on them that would fall off causing nasty vibrations too. Having one high speed balanced might be the fix everyone was looking for with these transfercase swaps.

How fast have you had it up to with the balanced shaft?

I used to deal with a place called "Rebuilt Parts", they used to rebuild axles and drive shafts. I remember them getting this expensive high speed balancer. I wonder if they are still in business, I will have to look them up again.

Glad to hear the engine is starting to get some work done on it. I can't wait to see what this thing will do with a boosted stroker.

Awesome! Also, now to find a shop to do a high speed balance. Most shops look at you with a tilted head when you ask them to do that on an explorer drive shaft. Is that a double carden or single now?

no kidding andy. i know when i had both front and rear made, i used two different places. when i ask (after i paid for it :rolleyes:) if they did a high speed balance they said yes. when i asked what speed it would equal to on the road they told me 45mph. i told them they should have done warp speed, and walked out unimpressed. lucky for me Don found a place here that can do a actual high speed balance.
the one i have now is a single. the double i gave to don last winter when we did the 4406 swap in his truck. he has also removed it, and went to a single. he had said he would sometimes hear a clunk, and could feel a vibration form it. i also think he said it was making a whurling sound as well. chime in and correct me if a am wrong don.

How fast have you had it up to with the balanced shaft?

Glad to hear the engine is starting to get some work done on it. I can't wait to see what this thing will do with a boosted stroker.

i had it up to around 80mph before i ran out of nerve. with it being winter with snow covered roads in spots, and also realizing the winter tires i have on right now are all season, if things where to go bad, they would go bad in a hurry! lol. that and everywhere around me the posted max limit is 60mph. if i got caught (or if the cops even knew haft the crap i pull with that truck around here) i would be greeted with the uncomfortable end of a billy club.
as for the motor, yea. in a way i cant wait to see what it will do, and in a way i am worried. even though the motor is apart, the shop was asking what kind of boost numbers i was looking at. the reason is the compression of that motor. i would change the pistons, but that would break me. he told me he had priced a set for another customer a few weeks ago, and they were around the $800 range. when i told him i might be around the 10 pound range running a meth kit, and also having tuning done with a wide band, he said i should be ok then. what i am going to do is put the motor in, and run the crank pulley thats on it right now and see what it makes for boost. if it makes what i think it might (like in the 2-3 pounds) then i will go to a larger pulley. once again, nobody can tell me what will happen if the alt., water pump, and power steering are overdriven and if i can help it, i really dont want to spend what may turn out to be $800 in pulleys.

I'm watching closely to see how you make out with that machine shop. Going thru fordstrokers is turning out to be very cost prohibitive with our exchange rate on our Canadian dollar. Add close to 20% to their costs in exchange rate alone. I might look closely at just having a nice 302 rebuild (Tim has offered up a core I could build on).

Yes, the double cardan front shaft did some weird things. It would give an odd clunk and shudder(Not a nice feeling from it) sometimes at higher speeds when I would let off the gas. With the new f-150 shaft, there is a bit less vibration at 75mph also. I did not have the front shaft high speed balanced, I just used it as it came out of the donor with a coat of paint and the u-joints changed.

well i am off work again for what hopefully will be only a few days because of back issues. i popped a few pain killers, and went for a ride to the machine shop to see how things where going. they just got the rings this morning. he said they have a few other jobs they need to get out, and will start putting it together mid/end week.
so this is what the block is looking like as of today

10933222_10152611469837513_1302619877_n.jpg

10872284_10152611469572513_2088290134_n.jpg

Back