98 5.0 XLT Expo/FF POV Rig | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 5.0 XLT Expo/FF POV Rig

CvrnRth's 98 5.0XLT 33's on TT/Shackle

Well Im gonna start this to help document my transition from a yard ornament to a DD/Mild Wheeler/Personal FireFighter POV to haul myself, my wife, and my soon to be family that the wife will be blessing me with July 10th.

I was in the search for some sort of Mid-size SUV, 4dr, 4wd, and came across a 98 5.0L XLT AWD. Did some research and made the guy an offer, it had been sitting for over a year and a half, has about 150k on the clock.

And this is what i got for $450:
8670817826_c7cb033bcb.jpg

DSCN0479 by coverinearth, on Flickr
8669715385_d8cf1d33ea.jpg

DSCN0481 by coverinearth, on Flickr

What it needed:
Tires are shot, dry rotted, leaking
Wheels are basically falling apart
Won't start - Fuel Pump isn't making a sound
Brake Hard Lines are all rusted through
Tran Cooler Lines leaking
Battery
Rear Shackles rusted through (Perfect chance to do War-153's)

Plus the usual odds and ends from it sitting around, a good tune-up, fluid changes, brakes, etc.

The ideal plans:
Yank the tupperware and mudflaps
2" TT, Full length AAL and War-153's
Possibly a bodylift
33" Cooper STT's on AR Black Steelies - Already have
RLC Front Bumper
Ramsey Patriot 9500 Winch with wirelesss remote - Already Have
Tube Sliders that I'll be building
Rear Bumper that I'll be building
LED Outfitters 48" TIR Sabre Lightbar
Manual T-Case swap eventually, after I get it running and driving to see what else me need work.

I think thats it, so now let the project begin!

-Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep everything made in house in my little 1 car garage with limited tools. Winter projects will be a rear swing out, very expedition style holding a spare and 2-3 Jerry cans and a roof rack. Leaving the AWD for this winter and gonna slowly acquire the case swap. Trying to keep this build mild and focused on getting myself my wife and our 15 month old out into the wilderness.

Looks great man. Can't wait to see more of this build plus I am glad you haven't went body lift yet. I personally like the look of 33s without the body lift.

I really like how this looks! Pretty much how I've been planning mine, I just need to collect some more parts. Can't wait to see more!

Got the headlight hoops finished up and some auxiliary lighting.

Back