BrianBuilt intake adapter with AEM Dryflow filter and Pre-filter
Dynomax cat back exhaust with
High flow cat
Spectre 3" Aluminum intake
BBK Throttle Body
5 speed manual trans With custom transmission mount
4.10 gears
Front D35 TTB, locked
Rear 8.8 with disc brakes, Powertrax No-slip locker, welded tubes to diff, Riddler Cover
Warn manual hubs
Manual BW1354 Transfer Case (swapped in)

Chassis & Suspension:
Skyjacker 2" coils and add a leafs
1" custom aluminum body lift
Quick disconnect front swaybar
Bilstein 5125s 10" shocks rear
Bilstein 5125s 10" shocks front
F250 Shock Tower Conversion
Custom Extended Radius Arms

Interior:
PRP daily driver seat
Cobra CB
E-track cargo tie down system
Lowrance HDS 5 Baja GPS for offroad explorations
Yaesu FT2800 HAM Radio

Wheels & Tires:
LT265/75R16 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP tires (currently, Cooper STT and BFG MT in the past)
16" GenII teardrop wheels, formerly had 15" stock Gen II teardrop wheels

Misc:
Warn 9000lb multi mount winch with synthetic rope
Onboard Air using Viair 480c compressor and 2.5 gallon tank
Front diff guard from BrianBuilt
Rear u-bolt skid plates and raised shock mounts from BrianBuilt
Raised axle and t-case breathers
Custom Bolt-on Rock Sliders (version 2.0)
Custom Winch bumper
Custom rear bumper with tire carrier
9" Vision X ADV Cannons LED Lights (Old: 9" import LEDs and 7" HID Lights)
Reverse light
Pro-comp extended brake lines
9007 Headlight conversion
Fuel Pump Access Panel
Replacement Door Weatherstripping
Dual Batteries with auxillary fuse block
ARB Awning
ARB Fridge
Maxtrax Recovery Boards
Trasharoo Spare Tire Trash Bag

Project Super Stock

IMG_20170310_150924626_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170311_133734236.jpg

IMG_20200825_162657029.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just read the article you were in. Congrats man. Peterson's magazine has been writing about ranger based vehicles lately and it is great not to read about jeeps all the time!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

...Awesome...:biggthump

Cool article:chug:

The last trip I took to Colorado and Utah I couldn't stand the noise anymore coming from my heim joint sway bar links. No matter how often I coated the heim balls with white lithium it would squeak not long after. I listened to the squeaking all the way home on the highway from Moab and I thought a wheel bearing or u-joint was going bad :eek:

Today I got a box of parts in the mail which included new sway bar link bushings and finally dug out my stock links from storage. Pressed out the old very worn out bushings and then installed the new ones and bolted them on in place of my custom links. The new bushings were in a Private Labeled box but were made by Moog in the USA. Part # K8657 and a whopping $4.xx, cant beat that! They also came with some other bushings and hardware that didn't fit (made for stem style links) so I'm guessing they fit multiple applications.

Took a test drive around the neighborhood and through some bumps and they were nice and quiet! I wont get the same flex out of them as the heim style but maybe that will save my passenger side splined axle thrust washer from disintegrating so quickly.

Unused bushings top left. Bushings installed left, old bushings middle, new bushings and sleeves top middle, old link with old bushings right and closer view of box top with part number:

Attachments

• DSC09857 (Small).JPG
    DSC09857 (Small).JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 542
  • DSC09858 (Small).JPG
    DSC09858 (Small).JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 546

Valve Cover Swap & PCV Grommet

For a while now my valve cover gaskets have been leaking and letting oil get onto the exhaust manifold and making a smell after turning off the
Explorer. I have replaced them once before, maybe 10-12 years ago with a cork set.

To start this project I bought a set of valve covers and coil pack bracket from my local U-pull and shipped them to [MENTION=17822]Turdle[/MENTION] for a nice powdercoat in preparation of changing the gaskets. If I'm going to do it might as well make it look good too!

My covers were coated Porsche Silver and the coil bracket I wanted a darker silver to add some contrast and left the specific color decision to Turdle. He coated it Titanium Metallic with Clear vision top coat and it came out very nice and adds a nice contrast to the silver covers and the many black parts under the hood which is what I was after.

DSC09868.JPG

I ordered up some Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus gaskets from Rockauto, part # VS50368T I also picked up a new PCV grommet from the Help Section at Autozone, part # 42066 which is not listed for a Ford Explorer anywhere, not even on the Dorman/Help website but it is indeed the right fit.

Just finished buttoning everything back up, not too bad of a job and it looks great!

DSC09869.jpg

DSC09874.jpg

Looks good.:chug:

Fun trip this past weekend with the Explorer. Did 230 miles, 90% on the dirt, from Dell City, TX to Cloudcroft, NM. I was joined by 2 friends on dual sport bikes. Fall colors were a little past in this area unfortunately.

Explorer did great but now one of the bulbs in the instrument cluster went out or shook loose. Looks like I'm tearing into the dash soon to replace some bulbs. Might go with LEDs.

m_DSC_3931.jpg

m_DSC_3938.jpg

m_DSC_3963.jpg

m_DSC_3970.jpg

m_DSC_3990.jpg

m_DSC_3996.jpg

Nice pictures Brian! Long way to go on the dirt alone. Sounds like fun. :thumbsup:

Have to ask.... What is the wavy light from the rig to the bike? Rope light?

I can see you left the exposure on for a while by the circular star motion, but curious about the wavy light. :scratch:

So 2 days after returning from that trip above I pulled into my driveway when all the coolant decided to pour out on the ground. Upon further investigation it was coming from my timing chain cover gasket which was replaced 2 years/12,000 miles ago.

I ordered a Ford gasket this time, old one was a Felpro that failed. I also ordered a Cloyes timing chain kit. I was going to replace it last time but no one had it in stock locally.

I got the cover off today, will replace it tomorrow.

Attachments

• Timing Chain Old.jpg
    Timing Chain Old.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 468

False alarm, the alignment dot was hiding on the top, I had the cam 180 off when I was looking for the dot. Got the new sprockets, chain, guide and tensioner on there with no problems. Chain tensioner was definitely worn, it had 2 grooves in it.

More updates

Everything has been running smooth so far after buttoning back up the front end with the new timing gear. When I had it apart I did buy a new belt as the old one was full of cracks. I also noticed my alternator turned rough by hand so I figured the bearings were on their way out. It was a remanufactured Motorcraft that has been on there ever since I owned it.

I upgraded to a 130 amp alternator that bolted right in. The pulley was only 1/4" smaller or so in diameter so the same length belt worked with no problem. The boot on the back cable was so brittle it crumbled apart when I took it off so I put a new one on that I obtained from delcity.net electric supply.

I installed new rear sway bar link bushings, picked them up dirt cheap from Rockauto.

I have new door weather stripping waiting to be installed on the 2 rear side doors in hopes of keeping the dust from being sucked in the cabin as I am having a real problem with interior dust from the trips I have been logging.

I have also been doing some wiring projects and comparing a few auxillary lighting options. I finally made the wire harness extension to the switches I installed years ago in the dash where the push-button t-case switch used to be right next to the center a/c vent.

Outside to center: 35 watt 7" HIDS (my old lights I have been using), 4.5" 25 watt Vision X LED Light Cannons, 9" 96 Watt LED Import Lights I haven't made up my mind yet on which ones will be staying.

Attachments

• DSC09901 (Small).JPG
    DSC09901 (Small).JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 383

Back