Any Significant Change between '15 and '16 XLT (other than MFT) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any Significant Change between '15 and '16 XLT (other than MFT)

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
I'm talking XLT here - not Limited or Platinum

So I've read the threads and looked at the order guide. Other than fixing MFT and getting rid of the Micros*&@t operating system, what are the real changes for 2015 vs 2016 Explorer XLT's?

From what I can tell from the order guide, one is the addition of push button start. The twin turbo 4 is offered, but I want 5,000 pounds of towing, so I would get a V6 again.

I don't care about the parking assist. I can do that myself, thank you.

Looks like it gets LED low beams.

Other than the engine option, no real powertrain changes.

Am I missing something significant?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Other than fixing MFT and getting rid of the Micros*&@t operating system, what are the real changes for 2015 vs 2016 Explorer XLT's?
Initial 2016's will still launch with MFT. Sync 3 will not show up until later (no date from Ford). Speculation is the Platinum trim (delayed) may get it first. My bet is Sync 3 won't show up until MY 2017 for remaining trims.

As you pointed out, Push Button Start is one of the changes in 2016 for XLT. For me that is a big deal. I have it on one car and will not buy a new car without it - spoiled I guess. I plan to buy a 2016 Explorer, probably a Limited, but XLT is an option since I can get push button start.

Hands-Free Liftgate is also new on XLT.

I wish ford would put some of the safety features such as collision warning and lane assist on the XLT. Maybe next year.

As you pointed out, Push Button Start is one of the changes in 2016 for XLT. For me that is a big deal. I have it on one car and will not buy a new car without it - spoiled I guess. I plan to buy a 2016 Explorer, probably a Limited, but XLT is an option since I can get push button start.

Hands-Free Liftgate is also new on XLT.

I wish ford would put some of the safety features such as collision warning and lane assist on the XLT. Maybe next year.

They also added the Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Cloth Seats to the XLT.

By ford not implementing the new sync3 on the new fleet of suv's and cars until 2017 ( i think the fusion will have it sooner) the owners with mft will still have support for sometime. I.m glad that my ex lease is not due untill 1/10/17. I will be leasing the platinum only if it has more color for the interior i like the magnum gray with black interior.

By ford not implementing the new sync3 on the new fleet of suv's and cars until 2017 ( i think the fusion will have it sooner) the owners with mft will still have support for sometime. I.m glad that my ex lease is not due untill 1/10/17. I will be leasing the platinum only if it has more color for the interior i like the magnum gray with black interior.

We don't know when sync3 shows up for the Explorer. As for the Fusion I would say that is probably my2017 to go with the facelift.

No. we do know it will not be the 2016 my, but it will be for the 2017 that will be out in june 2016. The 2016 that will be out june 2015 that one will not have sync3.

No. we do know it will not be the 2016 my, but it will be for the 2017 that will be out in june 2016. The 2016 that will be out june 2015 that one will not have sync3.

How do we know? Ford hasn't ofically said which vehicles and when will be getting the update. They haven't even started producing 2016, Job 1 isn't for another 6 weeks and we don't know what job 2 charges will bring. They may have an announcement this week at the NYIAS.

Thanks guys.

And no offense, but would you mind taking the Sync3 discussion to that thread? Keeps it all in one place. BTW - until Sync3 is standard, I won't be buying another Ex.

So is the heated seats and steering wheel combo offered with the XLT? I tried the comfort package choice on the configurator and it said I had to order the 202A package to get it. The Limited has it as standard.

Too bad I have a 2014 XLT, I'd like to have the new features. Oh well, they always change something!

Thanks guys.

And no offense, but would you mind taking the Sync3 discussion to that thread? Keeps it all in one place. BTW - until Sync3 is standard, I won't be buying another Ex.

So is the heated seats and steering wheel combo offered with the XLT? I tried the comfort package choice on the configurator and it said I had to order the 202A package to get it. The Limited has it as standard.

They added a Cold Weather Package to 201A, Heated Front Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, and Front Park Assist. This was added on the latest Order Guide. The heated Steering wheel is a stand alone option on 202A.

They added a Cold Weather Package to 201A, Heated Front Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, and Front Park Assist. This was added on the latest Order Guide. The heated Steering wheel is a stand alone option on 202A.
Can you point me at a source for the Cold Weather Package?

On the versions of the order guide information that I see, and on the configurator on the Ford site, there is nothing listed.

The option for the BLIS and the heated seats and steering wheel are the only difference I noticed between the 201A and 202A package.

Can you point me at a source for the Cold Weather Package?

On the versions of the order guide information that I see, and on the configurator on the Ford site, there is nothing listed.

The option for the BLIS and the heated seats and steering wheel are the only difference I noticed between the 201A and 202A package.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/ Heated Wheel is a stand alone option with late Availability on 202A and 400A, cold weather was added on the 3/1/2015 Order guide. You can also get BLIS/Inflatable Belts and auto dimming driver-side outside mirror on a 201A. Basically 201A and 202A differences is Leather Seating Surfaces and the 10 way power passenger seat.

● Cold Weather Package (65W) (201A)
- Heated Front Seats
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Front Park Aid

● Heated Steering Wheel (61H) (XLT 202A and Sport 400A)

●BLIS® Plus Inflatable Rear Safety Belts Package (67B) (201A, 202A, 300A, 400A)
- BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert
- Inflatable Rear Safety Belts, 2nd Row Outboard Seating Positions
- Auto-dimming Driver’s Side Mirror 

Got it. Thx. I've not seen the 3/1 version of the order guide yet.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/ Heated Wheel is a stand alone option with late Availability on 202A and 400A, cold weather was added on the 3/1/2015 Order guide. You can also get BLIS/Inflatable Belts and auto dimming driver-side outside mirror on a 201A. Basically 201A and 202A differences is Leather Seating Surfaces and the 10 way power passenger seat.

● Cold Weather Package (65W) (201A)
- Heated Front Seats
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Front Park Aid

● Heated Steering Wheel (61H) (XLT 202A and Sport 400A)

●BLIS® Plus Inflatable Rear Safety Belts Package (67B) (201A, 202A, 300A, 400A)
- BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert
- Inflatable Rear Safety Belts, 2nd Row Outboard Seating Positions
- Auto-dimming Driver’s Side Mirror 

Not that I doubted you, but my friend/dealer called me this morning to catch up. I told him I might be in the market for a 2016. He asked me what specs and confirmed you could get the Cold Weather package with 201A.

He also said they have not had any official announcement on the release of Sync 3 at the time of the 2016 Explorer launch. I told him if it was to be, that I would be ordering a new Ex. Otherwise, to call me when it was available.

Back