supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 86 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my little update for the time being. have been busy trying to help [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] when i can with his truck. he need to get it back on the road because its his daily driver, and things have gone less the par for the guy. as well, the local shop that is doing the dyno tune for me has told me i should be good to go for around august 20th. i was grinning ear to ear when they told me they were going to get a guy by the name ed hohenberg (if you were a mustang guy back in the late 80's or early 90's you know this name, if not google him, or wolf performance) who lives up here to help with the tuning, but he couldnt do it till mid september, so they are going to have another tuner to help.
i am also now facing 2 upgrades to evil, both are needed, not wanted either. step back to last summer when i put the fuel rail kit on, it has a connector that goes from 8an to the factory ford fitting fuel line. i had a real ***** trying to get them on, and had to lightly sand the edge of the trickflow fitting for it to push into the factory fitting. 3 weeks ago i had smelt gas in the engine bay. after looking over all the connectors, that one felt wet. i unplugged it, and pushed it back it. problem solved, or so i thought. yesterday i had taken evil out for a quick ride, and when i got home i could smell gas again. when i popped the hood, that same connector had a drip on it. thanks to both [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393262&highlight=fuel+filter and [MENTION=119708]ahodges[/MENTION] http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338061&page=14 for showing what they did for fuel line upgrades. both of them used 6an line and fittings. im going way overkill. im using 8an line and fittings for two reasons. the feed line going into the rails is 8an, so i wanted to keep it the same. the second is my sisters boyfriend is into cars as well, and had a length of 8an line that when stretched out reaches past both bumpers that has sat around for years, so he gave it to me, SCORE!
the parts for a 8an that i have are
Aeromotive 15118 - Aeromotive AN Quick-Connect Adapter Fitting (3/8th to 8an that goes from the sending unit to the line
Professional Products 10302 - Professional Products Competition Inline Fuel Filter (8an strait in and out)
Summit Racing SUM-220847B - Summit Racing AN to NPT Adapter Fittings x2 (1/2 inch to 8an fittings for the fuel filter)
Summit Racing SUM-220890B - Summit Racing Hose Ends x2 (fittings to go from fuel filter adapters to fuel line)
an there is also one 90 degree 8an fitting from the hose to the 3/8's sending unit adapter.
the next one [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION] has been hammering at me over the last while when viewing my datalogs. he was seeing a major voltage drop when i when to WOT. i was trying to find the problem (if you look over the last few posts) but couldnt find anything. even comparing it to dons truck, which dropped but not as bad, and andys truck which was as bad as mine figured it was a thing with the 5L trucks. well, that problem really showed for me the other night, an i emphasize the word night. a life long buddy of mine was in from calgary (the same person whos place i crashed at when i went out there to buy brads truck, and he also went for a ride in that truck as well) was here for the weekend. he was never in the truck when i went supercharged, or put the m112, and stroker in as well. coming back from another friends place on friday night, he wanted to see how it went compared to when that motor was in the other truck. me being me i happily obliged said request. about a 1/4 of the way in second gear i started noticing all my dash lights start to dim and when i got off it, they went bright again. so i am now going to do the only thing that i can left to do, and thats do the big 3 upgrade (larger gauge wire for grounds, and alt. power). luck also has it that a friend of mine works at a stereo shop and does car audio installs as well, so he is going to price it all out for me, and hopefully i can get a break on that stuff and do it before it goes on the dyno as well. now if we can get over this africa like heat we have been having, i can work on this thing!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

electrical power issue

It seems odd to me that there are electrical power issues at WOT. The fuel injection and ignition energy increase with engine speed should not be significant. If you have a return type fuel system, even if you have a high flow fuel pump its energy consumption should not increase significantly with engine speed. I don't know your existing cooling configuration. Do you have an electric cooling fan for the radiator that activates at WOT? Does your intercooler pump and fan that activates at boost? Do you have a stock 130 amp alternator? Does it spin at the same speed as stock or a different speed because of changing pulley ratios?

Possibilities I can think of for the voltage drop:
1. Serpentine belt slipping on the alternator pulley at boost.
2. Alternator output less than required for load:
a. Pulley spinning slower than stock due to ratio changes.
b. WOT activated load exceeds capacity of alternator.

Based on your symptoms I suspect that at WOT the alternator output voltage is dropping rapidly to the battery voltage. Increasing the current capacity of the wires may help some but I doubt that is the main problem. I suggest adding up all of the loads at WOT to see if they exceed the capacity of the alternator. When I tested my stock alternator under load I found that even though it was rated at 130 amps the output voltage did not drop significantly until the load was 150 amps. Electric motors draw a lot more current at start up than when up to speed. Maybe you have multiple motors starting at the same time but my guess is the belt is slipping.

i can say no belt slip, its super tight. new belt, and tensioner as well. have had the alt tested, and its good. i have a 3 inch pulley, and the stock 2 inch pulley. i had to slow it down because the crank pulley is a inch bigger then stock. i do have electric fans, and a meth kit for the truck (meth is activated by boost). the other thing i forgot to mention was voltage bleeds down to 13.4 volts when driving normally as well.

pulley ratios

As I recall the stock crank pulley is about 6.25 in. dia. (please confirm). If the stock alternator pulley was 2 in. dia. then the ratio was 6.25/2 = 3.125:1
If your new crank pulley is 7.25 in. dia. and the new alternator pulley is 3 in. dia. then the ratio is 7.25/3 = 2.42:1
That means your alternator speed is only 77% (2.42/3.125) of stock.
The advantage of your new slower alternator speed is more engine power due to less drag. However, your electrical power requirements are greater than stock. Your PCM strategy has a table to adjust injector pulse width vs supply voltage and your fuel pressure regulator probably compensates for lower fuel pump output when the supply voltage drops. The wire upgrade is a good step since you have added current requirements. However, I suggest increasing your alternator speed back to stock if you retain the stock alternator. 7.25/3.125 = 2.32 in. dia. I don't know what sizes are available but I wouldn't go with bigger than 2.5 in. dia. which would provide a 2.9:1 ratio. I spent a lot of time upgrading my wire sizes and connectors. I would hate for you to do the same and not have that solve your problem.

Its a very strange phenomenon on the 5.0's that we are seeing.
Ahodges and myself also see voltage drops in our data logs. Not as Bad as Tims, but we are seeing it. Its very strange.

I really don't know what to think about the voltage drop. No one ever pointed out the voltage drop on my truck during tuning (2 different places did tuning), but it is obvious is the datalogs that Tim and I looked at. I haven't noticed it being a problem during driving though.

Voltage drop off

I suspect that the voltage drop off may be purposely commanded by the pcm or by the regulator, since I saw it on all three of the vehicles mentioned.

How much drop off is another story. Tim's at different times was worse than others, he changed a lot of things though during testing including multiple alternators so one may have been a little worn out.

Thank you 2000streetrod for coming up with the rpm's of the alternator, that puts things into perspective. Finding a 2.32 pulley may prove to be difficult.

Dono and Ahodges have not reported any problems with charging system that I know of so maybe they can be considered the norm, if tim can get his to at least stay up where the others do and the lights no longer dim then that should be fine.

After that I would be more concerned about the TPS not staying pinned at wot unless that is not happening any more. In our tuning class where I work if the TPS doesn't stay pinned at wot we make them go back and redo the dyno run. Cant tune off of bad TPS data.

Voltage dropping

I really don't know what to think about the voltage drop. No one ever pointed out the voltage drop on my truck during tuning (2 different places did tuning), but it is obvious is the datalogs that Tim and I looked at. I haven't noticed it being a problem during driving though.

I would not worry about it, looks to be a common thing on the 5.0.
Now about that TPS reading on both of your trucks.....

On the datalogs I provided, the TPS wasn't staying at WOT? That is an old data log one the first go around of tuning so it may not be like that anymore, not sure. The shift points are the same every time though.

Voltage drop

I suspect that the voltage drop off may be purposely commanded by the pcm or by the regulator, since I saw it on all three of the vehicles mentioned. . .

I got curious and checked the log for one of my boosted pulls on the dyno. This was before I added a fan for the heat exchanger.
BatteryV.jpg

The vertical red bar represents about 3K rpm. As you can see the voltage drops as engine speed increases with the minimum voltage at 13.82. Initially I assumed that my belt was slipping on the alternator pulley. What's interesting is that the voltage is not engine load dependent but correlates just with engine speed. Belt slip doesn't explain the drop at closed throttle. I would have thought that the voltage would be less at 4K rpm WOT than 4K rpm closed throttle. This run was with my custom 240 amp alternator, large gauge wiring and connectors, and stock alternator and crank pulley sizes.

I can't think of any way the PCM could control the alternator or battery voltage. I suspect the voltage regulator may be involved but I didn't notice the drop during my alternator testing.

Voltage dropping

Some alternators are controlled by the PCM, it can pulse width modulate the field circuit/s to change the amount of charging. Some dodge vehicles used to look at a temperature sensor in one of the two "PCM's" that was right next to the battery, if it was hot it would not charge it as much. (dodge did not call them pcm's, one was the "Logic Module" and I forget what the other one was called.)

I looked at a wiring diagram and the wires do not go to the PCM so it is all done by the voltage regulator on Tim's truck. Again, the voltage dropping is probably not an issue, but the amount it was dropping to at times is what looked bad. And now the lights dimming too, maybe the newest pulley is causing that since it is spinning slower than stock was. Seeing the battery voltage drop below 12.6 was what had alarmed me, that means the battery was getting drained.

so you guys got me thinking again as to what sizes those pulleys are. i just went out and measured them. the stock one (when you measure the lowest point inside the ribs) is 2 1/4. the other one i have looks to be 2 3/8. i cant measure the one thats on it right now, but i was told it is 3 inch. i know the guy i bought the crank pulley off had a 3 inch alt pulley that matched the crank when he bought them from asp. i know one other thing i thought was happening was that the under hood temps may have been overheating the alt as well (its also wonderful my air filter is there too...joy) so i pulled the inner fender liners off that clip on. i did help lower temps. my buddy got back to me on how much the wires, ring terminals, and battery clamps will cost. cheap. real cheap. not free, but no brainier to buy them and do it.
oh yea, [MENTION=111113]2000StreetRod[/MENTION], you are correct. the stock size crank pulley is 6 1/4. i also wanted to ask you what terminals did you use for you mega fuse at the power distribution box? to me it almost looks like ends you would find on a welder. not that that is bad, i just want to replace those as well.

battery junction box terminals

Many of those inexpensive battery post clamps are junk. The first ones I purchased on eBay looked pretty but the inside diameter was not tapered to match the battery post. When the clamp was installed on the post it only made contact at the wide edge of the post. The clamp was made of cast metal that broke when I tried to tighten it enough to made decent contact.

The battery junction box mount for the mega fuse is pathetically weak. I used stranded high flex copper cable to reduce the strain on the mount. I think I also reinforced the plastic with popsicle sticks epoxied to the bottom of the box. I reworked one of the stock connectors and reused it. For a quick summary of my installation: 240 amp 4G alternator upgrade For more information than you probably want: Alternator upgrade - 4G, 3G large or small case?

I checked my notes and my custom alternator has a newly designed load response voltage regulator. I have no details on how it is supposed to control output voltage vs load or rotational speed. When it was tested with 200 amp constant load the output voltage was still increasing as the rpm increased. The alternator/starter shop owner commented that it was more powerful than many of the alternators used on fire engines and ambulances.

The 302 and SOHC 4.0 both use the same 4G alternator, the power terminal doesn't face the rear like 3G units.

I had a DB Alternators unit also that failed after a couple of years. My local shop I took it to was not impressed either. He said it wasn't special, and that there really aren't upgrade parts for the 4G like there are for the 3G.

My local expert also pointed out that the 4G's weakest link is the actual stator(?), the largest most expensive piece. When those fail(more commonly than other models), it's an expensive single part.

So I am also interested in that custom 4G you had made Dale. That's a good link to your thread, I had missed it. I upgraded my 99 SOHC system when I added some new loads(E-fan for one). My truck had the battery cable cut when I got it(wrecked), so I used one cable to run straight to the frame near the starter, and new cables I had made. I made an extra one for the alternator(10G) and it laid neatly with the stock wiring.

I agree about having the alternator tested, do that before worrying too much. The wiring upgrades are good insurance, do no harm and might improve the voltage. I think the small stock wires are near their limits of current, and that could cause some dimming with enough new loads.

I installed a nice set of Knuconcepts terminals on mine, and I really like them. Super heavy duty, they are taller then the posts, and fit nice and tight from top to bottom.

You have to change the connectors on the wires to loop ends of some sort. I used a few of the Knuconcepts connectors, and man, are they heavy duty. You really get what you pay for with these. I got everything off of Amazon. Just choose Pos or Neg blocks, and the proper wire gauge you need for the connectors,

A post I made in my registry with pics of the terminals.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3385146&postcount=1639

Yay for AN fittings. I still have all the pieces to convert the Bronco over to them. The Ford specific ends that go into the fuel pump side are like $30 each, at least for the first gens. They do look pretty though. I buggered one of the ends and just used a couple more hose clamps.

gman, those terminals are beefy. Going to go order a set. There was a guy on another truck site that made custom aluminum machined terminals that were drilled for what ever wire gauges you needed and held in with machine screws. bugman was his username I believe but can't seem to find the bookmark.

fuel lines done. got all the (or i thought) all the connectors yesterday. started to drain the tank by running the pump and unhooking the line that goes to the fuel rall (thanks john btw). i started laying everything out to find the speed shop gave me one wrong connector. when i figured that out it was around 7pm. try and find someone open at that time on a friday of a long weekend. i got lucky and found one, and he even waited around for me for a haft hour after he closed (even told him i would pay double lol). then i started pulling the tank down. i have done it twice and each time i tried, i had to unbolt the sending unit from the tank because i couldnt get one line off. well, that happen to be the feed line.....2 hours later tank was down. went back out today and finished it. besides a small leak which was one fitting that needed a little extra grunt at the filter, cant see any leaks or smell any gas. i will go back outside later now that i cooled off and start the big 3. and now for your viewing pleasure....

stock

DSC03341.JPG

DSC03343.JPG

DSC03345.JPG

DSC03346.JPG

stock compared to steel braided

DSC03349.JPG

DSC03354.JPG

DSC03352.JPG

this is the adapter needed to go to 3/8 to 8 AN. BTW, you will need a union as well. i found that out the hard way.

DSC03347.JPG

and new lines

DSC03355.JPG

DSC03356.JPG

DSC03357.JPG

DSC03360.JPG

btw, if anyone reading this in the future and they are doing this to a sport, you can get away with 65 inches of line from the sending unit to the fuel filter. i forgot to measure how much from the filter to the fuel rails, but that will also depend on how you route things up top as well.

Fuel Lines

Looks very nice!
Now you wont have that old fuel line as a restriction.
How long is that filter supposed to be good for? I would assume it would need more attention since it looks to have a smaller surface area.

Well done Tim.

I know how tough some of that is, I had to replace my main fuel line from the tank to the filter back in January. I got the used line from Karl here, because my old line had at least one of the rear metal clips buggered in it. I had to fight it to release twice before, and the flexible line near it was very weak from past owners. I was afraid that the next time the line(plastic) would leak there where it had been pulled on so much.

I like the fuel line connections better which don't require a special tool. The plastic locking clips should be plenty, which were the first type on early EFI cars.

Also, how do you like that filter? Is it big enough do you think, in capacity; how long do you go between cleaning it etc?

Back