Straight answer please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Straight answer please!

Hello all,
Yes I did a search and read many posts and still have not found a solid answer. I have a 2008 XLT V8 it has a retarded small hitch. I have added an aftermarket 2" hitch, so far all is well. What I need to know is... It has the flat 4 style harness and I need the 7 way. I DO NOT need brakes. What harness or aftermarket adaptor can I use to go from 4 to 7? I have read about the harness that runs up to the front and don't know if there is and easier way. I have read about just cutting and splicing but then other dudes say not to because of the canbus... So I ask great oracle of ford goodness...is there an easy way to plug and play from an 4 to 7 harness?
Thank you
:usa:

I bought an adapter years ago at O'reilly auto parts but i think it was wired wrong burned up the trailer harness. It may have been just a fluke.

Ok well that's a start. Thank you ntex.

Adapters: Hoppy 47375, Hoppy 47465, or Tow Ready 20141 available at Walmart.com

A few years ago I bought one at the local Walmart. Maybe your local Walmart or parts store stocks them also.

Craig

Going the other way is more common (for 7-pin on vehicle, 4-flat on the trailer). Adaptors all over the place for that. But I've not see (nor looked for) an adaptor for a 4-flat on the vehicle, and 7-pin round on the trailer. But if it exists, you've find it at www.etrailer.com.

As far as your ret#$%&* small receiver, I agree. The 4th gen V8 trucks have the standard 6-speed trans, and do not require an axle gearing change with the HD towing package. They should have included the HD towing package as standard, since it only included the bigger hitch (same price to Ford, I'm sure), and some additional wiring for 12v and brakes. But...they didn't think that way.

Now, if I may be so bold:
What is your situation, where you were required to move up to a 2" Class III receiver, but you say you DO NOT need brakes. That does not compute in my mind, as an engineer in the automotive braking field. If you do not need brakes, then you must have a very light trailer (less than 2000 lbs), in which case the Class II standard hitch and tow package are sufficient.

Back