My 92 XLT has paint problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 92 XLT has paint problems

here is a video. Not sure what to do, rattle can, or pop for some cheap guns and buy some PPG paint.

I have a compressor and a old spay gun (not HVLP) that I used decades ago to shoot some enamel on an old mustang, but have never used it for base/clear or even if I should.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rattle can is fine if you just want to do touch up, or just don't want to bother with a spray gun. Not bad for an inexpensive paint job on a trail rig or if you just want to do the roof/hood, which are usually the areas that have the paint coming off.

The 90's paint code colors were discontinued long ago, but you can still find spray paint in similar colors, or you can just go with something new. The key is really the prep, in sanding off old flaky paint, using the primer to go with the paint, and using clear over it to finish. Generally spray paint doesn't look as good as a spray gun job, but with enough paint, wet sanding, and layering it on, it can look pretty dang good for the price.

Spray guns are the better choice, as is custom auto paint matched via the paint code. Any good PPG dealer/body shop will be able to mix the paint for you, or at the very least get you something fairly close.

I'm pretty sure you could get a quart of custom PPG for a lot less than $79.99.

Prep, tape, prime, paint, sand, clear and it can look like new for not a lot of money.

I will prob go that route (guns etc..qrt paint) as this is really just a hobby for me and I like to try new stuff. The truck is completely stock and gets very little use (prob less than 10 miles a week) the rest of the time is sits in a garage, so should hold up pretty well.

I dont even know what to say.

There are many factors at play here with the DIY.
Primarily your health and safety, followed by the environment.

Am I to assume you took these matters into consideration?

A new HVLP gun is about $20 at Harbour Freight and works pretty good.

I may go the cheap HVLP gun from HF, but 1st still playing with some rattle can paint.

as to the DIY aspect, yes.

Looks OK for a rattle can. My X needs painting badly!! the clear coat is just about all gone and the paint color is brown but is literally sun bleached white. I'm thinking of doing a Roller paint job in solid Orange color.

Back