'97 Explorer "X" transfer case motor replacement... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 Explorer "X" transfer case motor replacement...

explorerkatz

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT "X"
I am getting ready to replace the transfer case motor on my Explorer. It has the flat 7 pin (if I recall correctly from when I looked at it a few o. ago.) connector.

In the same harness, it also has (2) small plastic sensors? about a dime size in dia. that fit into the rear of the transfer case on either side of the 4WD motor.

Anyone know what these things are? they have to come with the replacement motor, as it is all part of the same harness. Problem is, I cannot find a motor with these included...

Any ideas on this? :scratch:

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Solid state rotational speed sensors - as in sensors to detect when an axle is slipping so 4wd can be engaged automatically.

You have to de-pin that connector to do the swap, or cut and splice (which I wouldn't recommend).

You have to de-pin that connector to do the swap, or cut and splice (which I wouldn't recommend).

Yes. To remove individual pins, you remove the red plastic retaining piece, then use a pick to release the pins from the connector shell.

P.S. Be gentle, after 13 years the connector shell is probably brittle as hell.

Yes. To remove individual pins, you remove the red plastic retaining piece, then use a pick to release the pins from the connector shell.

P.S. Be gentle, after 13 years the connector shell is probably brittle as hell.

Thanks guys - Yes, I'm sure after this long the plastic is very brittle - and combined w/ the below freezing temps we have had here in Southeast PA for over a month now.

I should probably go ahead & replace those rotational speed sensors as well at this time...

Hey guys - I came across this thread. I haven't checked mine out that closely yet, but it sure has the appearance of my diff.

In post #12, one of the pics (great pics in this thread!) shows the removal of the speed sensor. Does it normally just pop right out after removing that bolt? I couldn't get mine to come out that easily at all, so I gave up for the time being so I wouldn't snap something off.

I had attempted the removal a few weeks ago, still too cold to work on it, but the job should be done before we get hit with a major snowstorm.

Does it normally just pop right out after removing that bolt? I couldn't get mine to come out that easily at all, so I gave up for the time being so I wouldn't snap something off.

Yes, it should come right out. There is an o-ring seal between the sensor and the TC housing. It is a weird o-ring with a kinda square cross-section. I ended up replacing the speed sensor once because I could not find a replacement o-ring and it only is available with the sensor at the dealer.

Hi dogfriend,

Thanks for the info. Are both of those sensors the same that are on either side of the case? They appear to be the same, but I would guess each serves a different function.

I only have a Haynes manual to go on, it is not much help in this area. Are they both called the vehicle speed sensor? I looked on Rockauto.com & they have them listed for anywhere from $10-$20, although the pics don't look like mine.

Rockauto's pics show them as accepting a male plug in connector, & mine are hardwired into the motor harness...

Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is different. The VSS is what gives the speedometer and the PCM the speed signal for the truck. It is also mounted on the TC for a 97.

The two speed sensors that you see on the back of the case are the Driveshaft Speed Sensors. They read a toothed ring that is attached to the output of the front and rear driveshafts. The signal from the two sensors are sent to the GEM (computer) to determine when to engage the electromagnetic clutch.

I don't think that the Driveshaft Speed Sensor(s) actually wear out; they could stop working because of damage or because metal wear particles in the TC are stuck to the surface (they are magnetic). If you suspect that one or both aren't working (because of a flashing 4wd light on dash), I would remove them and clean any metal stuck to the surface. That might be all that is required.

If you suspect that one or both aren't working (because of a flashing 4wd light on dash), I would remove them and clean any metal stuck to the surface. That might be all that is required.

Yeah, that is part of my prob., & when the lights are flashing the 4WD does not work. I will pull them & see if they need a cleaning or worse, damaged...

This may be a dumb question but what would happen if you would not hook up the speed sensors?

Back