hbaldwin62

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, Worcestershire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Ford Explorer
Hi guys

Your advice please.

I have a Ford Explorer on an R plate - 1997. Right now it is SORNed, has no MOT and is sat on my drive. It needs a new battery and the air bag warning light is lit up on the dashboard.

First question, is it worth fixing these things, putting it through an MOT and getting it taxed?

Secondly, if it is not financially viable to do that then what is the best way to sell it, getting me the best price?

Thank you

You may want to ask this in the UK section, because here it seems like you're selling the truck.

I'll move the thread for you.

If it runs well, all gears ok, brakes ok (inc handbrake) get a new battery for £60 ish and the air back light will prob be connector under seat. undo the connector and spray with contact cleaner and connect/disconnect a few times. Then disconnect the battery for 5 mins to reset.
With an mot the car will be much easier to sell esp coming into the winter! However there are the ball joints and suspension/steering components they may cause a fail, tho if it fails you will have a fail sheet to let prospective buyers know what it will need. The other thing to note is the engine sound on start up/idle and at 2500 rpm, does it rattle. If you are a bit handy any job that needs doing is covered on this forum or been done by one of us so get stuck in. Parts are easy enough to come by but sometimes at a cost.
Good luck

Back