TPMS-resetting after tire replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS-resetting after tire replacement

popojoe24

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
i had all 4 tired replaced at Midas, and they were unable to reset the tire pressure monitoring sensors. now i get an error message "Tire Pressure Default", and there is a constant TPMS warning indicator on my dash. i read that i may have to purchase a special magnet in order to reset them myself. any suggestions? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sensor Training

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones, and remote transmitters.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than two minutes between each key cycle.
3. Press and release the brake pedal.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than two minutes between each key cycle.
6. The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE". Place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7. Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: If the TPMS module does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE INCOMPLETE". If this occurs, the entire procedure must be repeated from Step 1.

8. Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.

When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".

it uses a magnet like this
Magnet+For+Tpms+Sensor.jpg

should be easy to do, im surprised Midas couldn't do it

Take it to Pepboys if you have one close they have the tool to do it and only takes 5mins

Where can you get the magnet?

STU

I see posts like this & wonder:

* what in the WORLD the tire tech is doing to the TPMS Sensors while mounting the tire?

* Are they mounting static weights too close to the Sensor?

* What can cause the NEED for this?

I ask these questions, because I had the 4th set of brand new tires installed @ Walmart of all places just a month or so ago. I know for a fact they went through nothing at all to "reset" the TPMS. The 2nd & third set of tires I took the tires & wheels to a tire shop I called on for my business. The Monty was 60 miles away.

I've never had to do this, but I see posts about it every 6-8 months.

Just curious if one of our resident Techs can explain why.

Rob

not a tech resident, but are the shops putting in new ones? they might make a couple of bucks on the deal.
I know when i mounted 5 new tires, i had the shop mount one of their new ones, couldn't program it for the life of me. Bought a used one of fleabay which worked great.

I see posts like this & wonder:

* what in the WORLD the tire tech is doing to the TPMS Sensors while mounting the tire?

* Are they mounting static weights too close to the Sensor?

* What can cause the NEED for this?

I ask these questions, because I had the 4th set of brand new tires installed @ Walmart of all places just a month or so ago. I know for a fact they went through nothing at all to "reset" the TPMS. The 2nd & third set of tires I took the tires & wheels to a tire shop I called on for my business. The Monty was 60 miles away.

I've never had to do this, but I see posts about it every 6-8 months.

Just curious if one of our resident Techs can explain why.

Rob

if after mounting tires you get a tpms light 99.99% who ever dismounted the old tires, also dismounted the sensor or broke it.

it is correct the tpms sensors are programed to the vehicle. there is no reason to reprogram them less they are replaced.

^^^ as I said... what in the world is the installer doing to see everyone having to reprogram all the time... LOL

Installer breaking them makes perfect sense. I know on the old Ford Band-style sensors, when we refinished wheels they had to be removed to bake the powdercoating on the refinished wheels. We had to replace sensors all the time cuz the bands would desimate the sensors.

My wife's Monty has the valve stem style sensors. Unless the tech is just careless, they should never hit the sensor with a tire iron/bar.

Rob

How about if you change tire size. My wifes mounty has TPMS and I am going to a bigger tire when I buy before winter. I have been wondering about the sensors. I would figure 25psi is 25psi no matter what size tire it is. But not sure, I think it is 25 they cut on at. Hers have came on a couple times. One tire has a very slow leak. Oh ya, which kind do the 08 mountys have the bands or valve type? If the valve type I guess you can't change valve stems when you change tires can you? How do these things work anyway the vehicle must pick up a RF sig. from them I guess.

STU

That is what I thought, thanks for the answer.

STU

Hey everyone....

I purchased rims and tires from CarID with new TPMS sensors.

I'm having a hard time getting them paired or programmed to the truck. I've been to 2 Ford dealerships and tried a local tire shop who at least attempted to get them to sync.

They said they could read them on their tool but couldn't get the truck to read them.

has anyone had any success getting aftermarket TPMS sensors paired?

Brand: ORO-TEK

if you have a push button start, push thee start button without your foot on the brake so it starts the electrical system but not the engine, push the emergency flasher triangle button completely off and on at least 3 times until the car honks, readout should then say ready to train tire sensors, and let air out of your driver front tire until the car honks again, then readout will change to train your front passenger and again let air out til the car honks again, then repeat passenger rear and finally driver rear. I know it sounds nuts but it works. If you do not have push button start you do a similar procedure with ignition key and brake pedal to get the car electronics into the reset mode

Back