Got rearended and leafsprings are buckled, need new ones. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got rearended and leafsprings are buckled, need new ones.

Not any daytime pictures ( just the ones from when it happened in the dark) but I'll post some soon. Looking at the pictures you can't really see any of the bends but the whole axle is shifted over about a two inches to the left and the rear of the truck now sits lower then the front because the leafs are curved upward and flattened.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the Insurance check today. Gotta wait 'til it clears then order new parts to fix my Trac, looks sad sitting in the driveway. I'll add pictures as I get the new parts so you can see side by side, damaged/ bent compared to new.

Went down to the Spring Shop today after work and bought a new pair of leafsprings, they'll be ready tomorrow morning. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can get my truck back on the road and safely drivable by Monday at the latest.

Went down to the Spring Shop today after work and bought a new pair of leafsprings, they'll be ready tomorrow morning. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can get my truck back on the road and safely drivable by Monday at the latest.

Good to hear! I'm still running around with no inspection. I was gonna work on the explorer this evening but ended up fixing lawn equipment instead.

Be careful doing that man, big fine...

Glad to hear it's getting fixed, so this isn't affecting the new job is it?

Luckily my wife is taking an extende leave from her work tobe with our son (5.5 months old) so I have been taking her Mountaineer.

Unfortunately the spring shop either ordered or was shipped the wrong springs (thinking they're for the Explorer/ Ranger) because they are way to flat to be for the Sport Trac and the front eye hole is too small for the bolt to fit in it. And to boot I get to replace the rear leafspring frame bushings/ sleeves thanks to "the rust belt", the shackle bolt is seized in the sleeve so I cut the old bent shackles off just to get the springs off. I'll post pictures in a little while.

Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper...

Luckily my wife is taking an extende leave from her work tobe with our son (5.5 months old) so I have been taking her Mountaineer.

Unfortunately the spring shop either ordered or was shipped the wrong springs (thinking they're for the Explorer/ Ranger) because they are way to flat to be for the Sport Trac and the front eye hole is too small for the bolt to fit in it. And to boot I get to replace the rear leafspring frame bushings/ sleeves thanks to "the rust belt", the shackle bolt is seized in the sleeve so I cut the old bent shackles off just to get the springs off. I'll post pictures in a little while.

Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper...

You need those bushings for the frame or did you get them already? I have a set if they are the same as the explorer.

I need to get a set. Where did you get them and how much?

Here's a couple picture's of the Trac as it sits without leafsprings...

All jacked up ready for surgery.
picture.php

Truck's up on jack stand with the rear end on another set and one under the front of the diff to keep it level.
picture.php

The bushing with the bolt cut and stuck in it.
picture.php

I don't remember the cost, but they came from toulsey ford, but they had a great price. Part number for the 2nd gen bushings (not sure if they are the same, they look similar) is F57Z 5A546 AA. If you are headed out this way any time I got this set still in bags from when I did my springs but mine are good and didn't get damaged. What part of town are you in again?

I'm up on the Northside of Pittsburgh.

nooooooooooooo! not the black trac! at least youre ok and your trac doesnt look to be too badly damaged. i know how much of a pain it can be dealing with insurance companies but look on the bright side, you've been talking about replacing your leaf springs anyway!

How'd I miss this thread?

Glad to hear you're okay, and that you finally got the check for insurance. Can't wait to see what kind of lemonade you make out of all of these lemons!!!

Yeah, it sucks seeing it just sit there in the driveway. All I can do is go out there and play some Johnny Cash and Jamey Johnson on the stereo to cheer her up every couple days. Should've known when I picked up the leafsprings today they were too small, not enough arch. I'll take pictures of the Sport Trac springs side by side to the wrong Explorer springs tomorrow. I'd stay up an b.s. more but I gotta be up at 4a.m..

Ouch, didn't even see this thread when it came up! Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear everyone's ok. Can't wait to hear your tracs up and running again, gotta be one of the nicest tracs on here. Btw, if you're feeling really stressed out about all this, I suggest paintball. Great stress reliever.

LMC Truck's aren't usable? They're only 100 bux a side.

Not sure on your time table for those bushings, but if you determine they are the right part number they are yours. I can shove them in a box and mail them your way, assuming you are not down this way anytime soon.

Ok, thanks man. I'll try and find a price on them, I'm only seeing them being sold with new factory shackles.

Sporty97... Ok, looking at the pictures of the bushings you have they are the same kind I'm looking for. I'll pm you my address so you can send them my way. How much did you want for them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's some pictures of the shackle/ frame bushings pressed and beat out, PITA doesn't describe it.

picture.php

picture.php

Back