Does someone know how to remove a 2002 Ford Explorer stereo? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does someone know how to remove a 2002 Ford Explorer stereo?

leongto

Reaction score
City, State
leon, gto
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hey i need some help from someone who knows how to take off a stock stereo of a 02 ford explorer 4dr 4x4. I tried to take of the plastic trim but it just seems to not come off and i dont want to break it. Im a little low on money so can someone tell me a cheap way to take the radio off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First this is the wrong forum for these questions...

and just to get the question answered...

for the plastic trim i believe there are two screws that need to come out before you can unclip it. after those are out just give it a little tug around the edges it should snap out.

then to get the radio out take an old metal coat hanger, cut it and bend it to where you can insert the ends into the holes and be able to unclip that then it should slide out..

If I am wrong someone correct me. however I have been looking at my mom's for the past few days and that's how it seems to me.

Hey i need some help from someone who knows how to take off a stock stereo of a 02 ford explorer 4dr 4x4. I tried to take of the plastic trim but it just seems to not come off and i dont want to break it. Im a little low on money so can someone tell me a cheap way to take the radio off.

JT in MD has a great thread for removing and installing the radio here.

He has an '05 but your '02 will be the same. It's pretty easy to do. Good luck and please let us know how you make out!

im sorry to make it seem like im a punk but that trim is different than the earlier models that is what the next gen is. the first gen has a 1 1/2 DIN HU. but it is still a good thread none the less.... pictures always help so i'll try and snap some when i get the chance.

im sorry to make it seem like im a punk but that trim is different than the earlier models that is what the next gen is. the first gen has a 1 1/2 DIN HU. but it is still a good thread none the less.... pictures always help so i'll try and snap some when i get the chance.

The OP has an '02. The poster in that link has an '05. They are both 3rd gens. I don't know what the problem is?

The OP has an '02. The poster in that link has an '05. They are both 3rd gens. I don't know what the problem is?
desert_rat84 has an '04 Sport Trac, which shares the interior with the second generation Explorers, and probably doesn't realize that '02 is the first year for the third generation 4-door Explorers.

As long as the OP has an '02 4-door (not a Sport Trac or a 2-door Sport), the link provided by BigRondo should work just fine.

Tom

yes sir that was exactly what I was thinking... damn lucky dogs got the nicer dash.. =o\ anybody try doing a dash swap yet? or even get dimensions to make the center trim fit in the ST? sorry for the thread jack... pm me if there is any talk of it. I am definitely liking the DD over D1/2 players

yes sir that was exactly what I was thinking... damn lucky dogs got the nicer dash.. =o\ anybody try doing a dash swap yet? or even get dimensions to make the center trim fit in the ST? sorry for the thread jack... pm me if there is any talk of it. I am definitely liking the DD over D1/2 players
The second gen Explorer (and first gen Sport Trac) stereos are actually 9/10ths double-din, and all that is required to fit a double-din headunit in them is to trim the backside of the trim bezel on the top and bottom of the stereo opening. Countless people have done it on this forum, and it only takes a few minutes to do. Here is a thread showing what a few people have done: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250830&highlight=double+din

Tom

The second gen Explorer (and first gen Sport Trac) stereos are actually 9/10ths double-din, and all that is required to fit a double-din headunit in them is to trim the backside of the trim bezel on the top and bottom of the stereo opening. Countless people have done it on this forum, and it only takes a few minutes to do. Here is a thread showing what a few people have done: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250830&highlight=double+din

Tom

yep yep. just order/buy the double din kit for the truck and cut out the upper and lower lip behind the radio and all is good. i put my pioneer d3 in my '97 explorer this way (and i install for a living)

thats cool im hopin to save up the money to get one of those new avic models from pioneer. hopefully sooner rather than later i can get me a ST I just like having a bed to put stuff in... I'm actually wanting to open my own car audio business I got me a lil somethin goin on facebook as a business n what not just haven't got my certs n what not yet. though I am hoping to get all that done soon too. Think I'm in too deep sometimes when it comes to all the different stuff I am planning out on doing haha... oh well thats life.

Back