Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you've been popping the battery cable on and off, you've likely dumped any stored codes.

The out of range codes are typical on a cold engine

I will re scan tomorrow am with the engine warmed up and see what I get

Yes, those codes will definitely tell something.

How is the coolant level in the radiator? do not go by the reservoir tank, take a peek in the radiator itself. Low coolant will cause the out of range code, and will cause all kinds of driveability issues. The IAT code is probably from a bad connection in the wiring to the air intake temperature sensor.

Is it possible the 2 sensors are cross connected?

While everything is cold tomorrow, I will check the coolant level in the radiator. Then, warm it up and rescan and see what codes pop up

Topped off coolant (radiator and overflow) warmed it up and no codes. Tried to do the KOER and was confused, so disnt right anything down. Going to re read the write up and try again, but it definitely seemed to be throwing codes

Didnt get chance to retest for codes, but I did warm it up and drive around some. It was pretty decent, but then I stopped for a bit and was idling and it got very rough and wanted to stall out. Turned it off, started and it was a little rough but smoothed out and was drivable. Only had it up to second gear though

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but how up to date are you on basic maintenance. Things like plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, etc.

Air filter and fuel filter are good. Air filter is clean and I just replaced the fuel filter earlier this week. Plugs and wires could probably stand to be changed. Wires look decent, but with as dirty as the iac was im sure the plugs are old and beat. I was thinking about swapping in 4 new plugs on the passanger side(easily accessible) and see if that helped

I got a $75 Visa card as a safety bonus at work. Going to grab new plugs and wires with it and throw them on tomorrow. Hopefully, that will help out. I will run the KOER test after swapping the new stuff in and see how it goes. Based on how things have been so far, I am sure the plugs and wires are old as hell. Seems like the person that had the truck previously did little to no maintenance on the truck

Ended up waiting on the plugs and the wires, I forgot it was a holiday weekend. I will be doing them tomorrow

Has anyone done plugs and wires on the 2.3? Any tips?

Thinking I may need to take off the intake manifold to get at the drivers side plugs

...You rang?...:)

..I'm on sketchy service and will take a look as soon as I geteto a computer..

Ok, 5 out of swapped.

Now, my spark plug socket is stuck on the 6(new plug) and I cant get it off with needlebose pliers and regular wont fit.

I see this being the problem with the last 2 as well. Any tips?

plugs were really dirty/black. One was barely hand tight and 2 snapped at the first sign of the socket.

I went and got an extension that "locks" and that should solve the socket problem

Shooting to have 7 of 8 done. That 8th one will be an ordeal and I am sure the truck will drive/run much better with 7 out of 8 brand new

Gaps on the old plugs were way off as well. As high as .6 When it says .46 Is recommended.

Only doing 6 of 8 today. Will update on how it runs

Ok, it seems to be running better, but its like there is something holding it back.

its like there is a blockage in exhaust that is killing the power.

Could a bad/clogged catalytic converter cause that kind of response?

Is there a way to test for that?

..Do a search on here for clogged cat..;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had a buddy suggest "beating the guts".out of my cat? Thoughts?

Upon inspection, it is very rusted and definitely looks old and burntout

Back