5R55W transmission with a P0775.

brpavers

Reaction score
City, State
Ball ground, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mountaineer
Gentlemen,
I am new to posting but not to reading your posts. I have a 2005 Mounty with a 4.0L. It has 131,000 miles, mostly highway due to my wife's 60 mile commute and her love of driving at the drop of a hat. It is a very nice vehicle and we plan to drive it at least till the clock hits 300k.

Last week, the Check Transmission and O/D blick came on along with a delayed 1-2 shift and 4-5 shift, never happened before. I checked the OBD and got a PO775, PO732, and PO735 codes. After reading some (not all) of your threads, I thought it must be the PC Solenoid Circuit B. I took it by the stealership and they diagnosed it and said that the REPLACE TRANSMISSION light had came on and it would cost $3700 for a rebuilt trans. I said no way, paid them $90 for reading the same codes I read and limped home.:mad:BOHICA

After reading more threads, I realized that you guys know more about this than those bozos at the stealership, and you don't charge for excellent advise while they make 'Money for Nothing'. I realize now that the genesis to the problem is the aluminum case with the hardened steel servo rods, which has caused low pressure, which may have caused my 2-5 band to wear and possibly by PC Solenoid to now be malfunctioning. With your advise, I have now drove the Mounty with the O/D off and can get it to shift to 2nd with throttle manipulation with no problem shifting 3rd and 4th, but no 5th. PITA but livable if this is as bad as it gets until I feel like TITA and paying for a rebuild, though not from the stealership, because they would not repair the core problem. I would like to find a shop that will do the Servobore fix (Pat with Northland gave me a list that i am working thru after i throw out the AAMCOs, Mr Trans, and stealers, there aren't many in Atlanta area) and maybe put the Transgo shift kit in for good measure, but I am not going to get ripped off. How much should this cost? Will they need to replace the PC solenoid block as well? What will that add? I would like to keep it around $1500 or less. Am I dreaming?:rolleyes:

Now I have some questions about my other options. On one of the threads, one guy said that he had this problem at 85,000 and he just lived with it and it's still going at 185,000. Will the low pressure cause wear on the bands and if I keep driving it? If I can't find a dependable shop to repair it, after reading your threads, I may decide to find a core from a wreck and perform the repair on the core, taking my time and being extra careful.

If the O/D band is broken or worn, can you tell when you do the Band Tightening procedure? It seems a broken band would not tighten properly. Will a broken band cause catostrophic failure and damage within the tranny?

Has Ford fixed this problem? I have had blue in my blood since I was 8 and my dad bought me a slot car set with a GT40 and a Cobra Daytona Coupe, both with working lights (wish i knew what i did with them). I am embarassed that their drivetrain designers can't understand that hardened steel will wear aluminum. They should issue a recall out of pride and a sense of responsibility to their customers, but obviously they are dodging the issue by the fact that their dealer service guys are oblivious and there have not been any TSBs on the 2005s but there is one on the 2006. What's up with that? I have a 2006 Explorer for a company car with 117k that i am about to turn in for a 09 F150. Is someone going to get stuck with a tranny repair on that one?

Whatever action I take, I will post the results.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS. The stealership called today and dropped their price to $2200 to replace the solenoid block, but they can't do the servobore repair. :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the transmission section. You could perform a lot of this work yourself if you have the time, money, skill, tools, and a place to work. WWW.800700Tran.Com has the best price for the solenoid block, case, and other related parts. WWW.ServoBore.Com has the repair kit for the bores. If you decide to have a shop repair it for you, then check WWW.ATRA.Com for a certified shop in your area. Check for any complaints against the shop before you go there.

Brooklyn,

Thanks for the quick reply and advise. I am hoping that I can find a good shop that can repair it for a resonable price and with this information, I am off to a good start. If I was uninformed, I would probably pay the $3700 like the majority of people (turnip truck droppings), but out of principal I would rather hold out and make sure I get a deal that i believe is fair and will last.

Any advise on these questions:
1)Whether a I would be able to diagnouce a broken or worn band thru the tightening procedure.
2)Why would the band become worn due to the low pressure result from the worn servo guide?
3) Typical cost to repair Servobore and PCsolenoid?

Thanks,

Adjusting the bands would determine if they are broken without dropping the bottom pan. A dragging band due to lost pressure from a leaking servo could cause premature band wear or a failure. It may even cause a shift flare issue.

Thanks Dbl B,

that makes sense on the dragging band. i am going to do the band tightening when I get the inlb torque wrench from Harborfreight. I'll report back on what I find.

Anyone got advice on cost? Anyone know of a shop in North Atlanta burbs that would do the repair right?

Guys,
I found an ALTA shop in Atlanta that has rebuilt several 5R55xs and he told me about the aluminum case/steel servo problem and how it needed to be repaired :thumbsup: He gave me a price of $1400 to $1800 depending on worn parts and can get me in next week. I have barely drove the Mounty since it first had shift problems - ironically it had its first symton in front of a Ford dealer and I had my wife park it there until they could give me their lame a#@ diagnosis - so I am hoping there is minimal damage.

Anyway, I will report back on what happens. Shows how screwed up things are when I am happy about dropping $1400 or more to repair something that should last alot longer than 131k. Its a just a pump, its not a rock crusher.:salute:

woops Meant to say I found an ATRA shop. No, I'm not getting repaired by a tennis pro.

Just reporting back. I got the Mounty back and the ATRA shop rebuilt the tranny. They did the Servobore repair, replaced the solenoid block, as well as a pull replacement of all the band, gaskets, the works. It ended up being just north of $1800, but it is much better than the $3700 for a transmission from the frauds at the Ford dealer, that would not have had the case sleeved at the servo.

Thanks to all the folks on this forum. had it not been for the wisdom shared by you guys, I would have gotten ripped off and would probably be facing this problem again before long.:salute:

24 months or 24,000 miles. The way my wife drives, it will be the latter.

That is close to what i paid too, $1600 but he doesn't change the quote, he had over $800 in parts too, another shop might charge more but he didn't. I have heard anywhere from $1600 to $2200 so yes you got a good deal. My guy gives out a lifetime, so long as he is in business, but the way things are looking in Detroit it might be a mute point, a lot good shops are going down.

Lifetime. That's a confident builder. If he has many come back he would be out of business. The shop that built mine, said that the 5R55x trans are pretty stout, especially behind the 4.0 and after the case is sleeved, it should last for many miles with proper attention to fluid and adjustments. Even though our Mounty has 131k, its been babied and its paid for so I want to see at least 300k.:rolleyes:

I just did mine for 1200. Rebuilt from O'reilly's. First transmission, it kicked my ass but i got it done. Had a friend that got me a discount would have been 2200 for the trans

Does anyone know a good trans shop in SE Michigan that will rebuild my trans and do the servo bore for a reasonable rate?

Does anyone know a good trans shop in SE Michigan that will rebuild my trans and do the servo bore for a reasonable rate?

RC Trans and Gear, Royal Oak

Back