Rubber Gasket Lubrication | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rubber Gasket Lubrication

So folks, I have a couple of external rubber gaskets on the outside of my Explorer, it's a PI. I'm looking for some "white" grease to maintain them and give them the most protection from the elements. I've been looking at Sil-Glyde? Any "end users" care to comment? Would I be G2G with this product? It's locally available at my NAPA store and the cost is modest. I've been using the 409 protectant, but I'm looking for something more robust & longer lasting. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have only used DAE Oil Seal Conditioner for my rubber gasket and it works great.

I'd say that just car wash soap and water are the best things to use.

I'd avoid any kind of chemical maintaner/protectant/treatment/conditioner for rubber seals.

Everything I've ever used, a wide varity of products, has always, always resulted in a breakdown of the rubber, or at least the surface, within years. I've completely stopped using any of it after noticing it accelerates the cracking of the sidewalls on tires, and caused quite a few hard plastic components to crack and disintegrate.

These days I just use carwash soap and water and haven't had problems. If I need to get rid of greasy film on a rubber seal or there is something that carwash doesn't remove, I use Dawn dish detergent since it degreases really well.

The other advice I'd give would be to park in the shade whenever possible. Besides chemicals, most of the breakdown of rubber parts and seals is from UV rays in sunlight, so the less UV the seals are exposed to, the longer they will last.

First use an extra soft toothbrush and hot, strong detergent solution to remove oxidation. Next use silicone grease, for example silicone brake grease or dielectric grease. The brake grease is usually much thicker and harder to apply. Put on the lightest coat possible or it will pick up dirt (wipe excess off). Dry spray silicone will work too but only lasts a fraction as long, but it also picks up less dirt.

Gummi Pflege is specifically made for door weatherstrip seals and is amazing. $10 for a 3.4 ounces seems steep but it goes a very long way and is easy to apply. Heard the Wurth rubber care stick is also good. I chased a really annoying door rattle for two years before finding the cause was from dry door seals. I had interior panels off numerous times without success. Interior noises = PITA.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gum...=ge2NVcnvDdDUoATWhZ7QAw&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw

Back