2014 Ford Explorer Factory HID vs Halogen housing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford Explorer Factory HID vs Halogen housing

Hey guys,

I couldn't find an exact answer to this question - please forgive me if i searched incorrectly and this has been answered already.

Is there any difference in the factory headlight housings between HID and non-HID optioned explorers? So far as I can tell looking at parts on Fords part website, it seems to be the same BUT I don't have access to a service manual yet to be sure. Seems like it would be cheaper for Ford to make a 1 size solution but maybe its not technically possible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ Anime lives to be the International Internet Light Output Authority

cartman-respect-my-authority.jpg

:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi gang,

I checked with my technical adviser on this issue; he states that the housings are different. They may look similar from the outside, but most of the differences are internal.

Crystal

Awesome Crystal, thanks so much for finding the answer to this for us!
Just to be clear (you know what a stickler us forum folk are for detail:D), we are talking about the projector itself being different and not just the overall headlamp assembly, correct?

Thanks again Crystal for the quick response (as always!).
Jack

Just to be clear (you know what a stickler us forum folk are for detail:D), we are talking about the projector itself being different and not just the overall headlamp assembly, correct?

Jack

Hi Jack,

I'll have to reach out to my adviser again and get back with you on that one. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Jack

Hi Jack,

My adviser confirmed that the projector itself is different.

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

Based on what I read on this thread, I went out bought genuine Ford HID headlight assemblies complete with bulb and ballasts to upgrade my 2013 Limited which came with halogens. However, when we hooked them up, the lights wont turn on. Am I missing something? The conectors are identical... I did notice that there were no fuses on the locations identified as proper for HID headlights. I put in the porper fuses but it still doesnt work. Only the turn signals work... Please help, im 1000 dollars down right now...

Hi Crystal,

Based on what I read on this thread, I went out bought genuine Ford HID headlight assemblies complete with bulb and ballasts to upgrade my 2013 Limited which came with halogens. However, when we hooked them up, the lights wont turn on. Am I missing something? The conectors are identical... I did notice that there were no fuses on the locations identified as proper for HID headlights. I put in the porper fuses but it still doesnt work. Only the turn signals work... Please help, im 1000 dollars down right now...

Hi rickz07,

I'm not a technician, so I'm not the best resource for mechanical advice. As a next step, I'd recommend making an appointment at your local dealership; I'm sure they'll be happy to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hi rickz07,

I'm not a technician, so I'm not the best resource for mechanical advice. As a next step, I'd recommend making an appointment at your local dealership; I'm sure they'll be happy to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Local dealership says they will not install a part they did not sell, even if it is an evidently new, original Ford part...

Local dealership says they will not install a part they did not sell, even if it is an evidently new, original Ford part...

The best reply to that is, No problem. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Try another dealer. It's unusual for them to turn away work. There are a few threads out there on what you're attempting.

The best reply to that is, No problem. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Try another dealer. It's unusual for them to turn away work. There are a few threads out there on what you're attempting.

Thanks for the answer MarkM. Their reply has changed to: We cannot do it, as it is physically impossible.

Did you ever get this resolved?

Ouch, that sucks!

Why don't you just run aftermarket HID in those factory HID assemblies rickz07?

Back