Engine Compatibility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Compatibility

nomad0

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer 4.0
Hey all, new to the forum and fairly new to explorers. Bought my wife an 02 explorer 4.0 not too long ago and the head gasket went on it a few weeks ago. I'm currently working out of town and was just able to get eyes on it. After checking it out, I've decided to just replaced the engine than to change head gaskets and timing and all that fun stuff. So my question is, while looking for engines to pick up, what vehicles have the same engine? I'm in no rush to get it done as she is driving my vehicle. So I'm shopping craigslist and eBay and my local LKQ for engines. Just wanted to know what all ran the 4.0 V6. Thanks for any input, all input is welcome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2WD or AWD?

Does your vehicle have 2WD or AWD? Most of the AWD/4WD vehicles have the SOHC V6 with a balance shaft. Other than the balance shaft the long block is the same for 2001 & upward Rangers, 1997 & upward Explorers/Mountaineers, 2005 & upward Mustangs and even the Land Rover Discovery 3. However, there are different sensors, valve covers, crankcase breathers, intake manifolds, fuel rails, harmonic balancers, wiring harness, etc. for different years and makes. The better the match with your year and make the less you'll have to transfer from the original engine to the replacement engine.

It is 4 wheel drive. From doing some googling and reading on this site it seems like the easiest is, obviously anything from an 02-05 explorer. And 05+ mustangs? Seems to be the best plug and play options, I have all the accessories and all the stuff from the old engine. It seems like it was a small gasket break and didn't trash any of the top of the engine. Timing guide on the passenger side is all ate up on the current engine so I'm definitely looking at a swap, engine just rolled to 200k anyway. Am I correct in assuming those models/years? As long as I still have top of engine stuff and fuel rails? I've done tons of auto work before, I'm no noob when it comes to auto repair, just new to the Fords. Again, thanks for any and all help And advice. It is much appreciated

balance shaft

The balance shaft was apparently added to the engine to reduce vibration during low range/off road operation. Many forum members have replaced their balance shaft engine with one without a balance shaft and have reported no problems.

Like I said in the op, it's my wife's DD so low range and off road is not going to happen, so I the balance shaft shouldn't necessarily be something I'm holding out for. But, just for curiosity how do you tell if it's got a balance shaft or not?

remove front cover

The only way I know how to tell is by removing the engine front cover.
BlncShft.jpg

The balance shaft is in the "box" in the lower left of the photo. There may be a way to tell from the engine casting number but I've never seen it explained. If the engine came out of a 4WD/AWD vehicle and the engine is original then it probably has a balance shaft.

Cool. Thanks for the info. With it and some more digging on here I think I'll be ready to tackle this. Now to track down a donor vehicle and get its engine out.

Back