Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help! | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help!

...After re reading all the post last night that's what he had posted was done so far plus a couple other things...

...The gas smell would be coming from his fuel filler hose and if he searched that item on here he would come up with a great thread on that and a place to get that replaced cheap..:)

...But this thread has gone on for a long time with not much getting accomplished...there is a link to another thread that was before this one in the first post I'm scared to go to..

I may be wrong but that's the items I came up with...:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If thats the case, a clogged (or leaking) fuel filter, bad plugs, and bad O2's would certainly cause this problem.

To clarify....

New Alternator
New Battery
New Belt
New Neg Battery Cable
1 New Coil pack
6 of 8 plugs and wires swapped out for new (Will finish that this weekend, since the truck is running)
New Fuel Pressure Regulator
Gutted Cat removed and flexible exhaust repair pipe in (Temporary, until I get paid Monday)
Added a bottle of HEET fuel treatment to deal with any water in the tank

I have been able to get home from work and back today. Running much better with the new regulator and dry gas put it.

Feels like a lack of backpressure could be causing the lingering problems, and the new cat should remedy that.

Now, that the truck is running well enough to get around, I can work on getting the last plugs replaced over the weekend (weather permitting)

The lack of back pressure is not causing the problem. If you have an exhaust leak before the y pipe, then you can have issues, but a lack of back pressure is at worst going to slightly reduce torque. Certainly replace those last spark plugs, and triple check that you have wires in the right order. After that, if you still have problems, getting trouble codes is all you can really do. At least you can get to work and back.

...and the computer is looking for readings before and after the cat so...

..until that and the other things are finished and replaced also, you are going to have a half way running motor..

There are downstream O2's on a 1993?

...My 91-95 have them but they are California vehicles..

..but I guess that would be beside the point if I had no o2 codes and no cat..:)

o2s are the next thing I will get after.

What order are the wires supposed to be in? I put them back on how they were, but seeing how this truck was "maintained" before I got it, it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the problem

From what I can see, there are no sensors after the cat. Just tube running to the muffler.

Once I have the last 2 plugs in, I will try to do a KOER test and hopefully it wont stall out now, since I have the truck behaving much better now

...Let me highly suggest picking up a Haynes manual at the auto parts store..it has pictures and info at your finger tips even the power goes out..;)

..That is the first thing I buy when I get a new to me vehicle...Best money ever spent on a vehicle..well...except maybe for AAAplatinum...:biggthump

Yea, I had a Haynes for my 91 explorer sport. Damn I miss that truck. Completely spaced on that

Should I have the wires going from each spot to the designated cylinder? Its definitely not how they were if so.......

These 4 cylinders have 2 sets of plugs (a total of 8 plugs)...The lower four on the passenger side are for combustion while the upper 4 plugs on the drivers side are for the secondary burn during the exhaust of the 4 stroke cycle.

This (passenger) side wires all go to the rear coil pack..

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3002508&postcount=2

Reposted link from Tbars4 (Post #54 )

How To: Ranger 2.3L-2.5L Spark Plug Change
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362784&highlight=plugs

Oops, just saw these previous posts. This thread has gotten crazy long and confusing to keep track of what's been done. :scratch:

Post #103
Random thought

the coil packs, they are set up as all the plugs on the passenger side go to the "rear" coil pack and everything from the drivers side goes to the "front" coil pack.

Is this the proper set up? Having 1 plug fire from one coil pack and the corresponding one fire from a separate?

OR, should they be matched up? IE 1 and 1, 3 and 3. 2 and 2, 4 and 4?
Post #128
I put them back on how they were, but seeing how this truck was "maintained" before I got it, it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the problem

Also, I have no "j hooks" on any of my plugs

Got one more plug and wire swapped. The one closest to the firewall will be its own project. Intake manifold, multiple vacuum lines and the schrader valve (found it) are all in the way.

I also....
Swapped out the remaining coil pack(looked corroded on the inside) and put the one I replaced with new in its spot.
I fixed the arrangement of plug wires to what I was able to find on the diagram a few posts ago.
Some were correct, some werent
I cleaned the throttle body some and shot some cleaner past the butterfly as well
Finally, I adjusted the idle screw to raise the idle a bit. This seems to have helped any stalling issues

Moving forward, I obviously need to replace the last plug and wire, it has probably never been done!!

I looked at my o2 sensor and it looks pretty beat up as well.

So, Monday I should be able to get the new cat on and I might see about an o2 sensor

I appreciate all the help and the truck is running better each day

I fixed the arrangement of plug wires to what I was able to find on the diagram a few posts ago.

Some were correct, some werent
Which means at least TWO wires were mixed up. Which ones? Have you driven it since correcting them?

Drove it around the block, seems to be running better, but still a little funky. Based on what the plug 2nd from the firewall looked like, my bet is the last one has never been changed.

Going to get the cat for sure and possibly the o2 sensor this week.

If weather permits, I will get that last plug out next
weekend

Now that it is running better, I will get KOEO and hopefully KOER tests run and ser what I get

So, my oil pressure "Gauge" seems to be a bit high and I am noticing some oil coming from the tube that connects to the throttle body (Breather?)

I never really took notice to oil there, because the guy before me had spilled oil all over the top of the engine doing an oil change haha

But, now I am noticing that there is some coming out here and I am guessing that could be directly related to the high oil pressure.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds over-filled if the breather is spouting oil... or a bad PCV valve.

Back