The Official 1st Gen Interior Interchange Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Official 1st Gen Interior Interchange Thread

FocusRush

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
After reading for three days, I got the answers I needed. This is just for future people to search and read so they don't have to search as long as I did.

Please post up photos and any additional information about your swaps to help me better with this first post. I'll try and keep it as up-to-date as possible.

WHAT SWAPS INTO THE 1st GENERATION EXPLORER?
Seats

Special Edition 1st Generation Explorer Seats
All 1st Generation Front and Rear Seats are Interchangeable with like seats.

*50/50 split rear seats need to be replaced with 50/50 split and 60/40 with 60/40

** For those with 2-door Explorers: It's best to get front seats from another 2-door since the 4-door front seats don't slide as far forward.

All 2nd Generation Seats

The 2nd Generation Explorer body structure is the same as the 1st generation making it possible to interchange the front and rear seats. No matter the edition i.e. Eddie Bauer, Limited etc. (1991-1998)

* Power seats may require some custom re-wiring in order to retain their function.

** The seat belt buckles should be swapped to retain the original buckles as the 2nd generation buckles are different then the 1st gen and will not work.

*** 50/50 split rear seats need to be replaced with 50/50 split and 60/40 with 60/40

**** For those with 2-door Explorers: It's best to get front seats from another 2-door since the 4-door front seats don't slide as far forward.

All 3rd Generation Seats & Beyond
They can be installed with custom brackets, but are not a direct bolt-in.

Ranger Bench Seats

Any extended cab or supercab Ford Ranger bench seat will bolt into a 1st Gen Explorer. (front only)

Ford Ranger Bucket Seats & 60/40 Seats
Any extended cab or supercab Ford Ranger Bucket Seats & 60/40 seat will bolt into a 1st Gen Explorer. (front only)

Ford Mustang Front Seats

I have seen this question asked a number of times in the past with no definite answer. Anyone know?

Ford Aerostar Front Seats

Yes, some fit, but why would you want to?

Door Panels

Special Edition 1st Generation Explorer Door Panels
They all interchangeable.

2nd Generation Explorer Door Panels
Since the 2nd generation interior body structure is identical to the 1st Generation, everything will swap over.

* Front door panels require a small modification to fit. Just a little drilling

** Switches and buttons in the doors will need re-wiring. The colors of the wires are not always the same. Be sure to get wire pig-tails when swapping.

Headliners

Second gen. headliners will go right into a first. The 1st generation is a foam covered cardboard backing with fabric glued on, where the 2nd generation is a foam backed fabric. Much less likely to sag.

Dashboard

2nd Generation dashboards should fit in theory, but are not a direct bolt in. some modification to the A-pillars is required to get it in. The gauges and HVAC controls made need extensive re-wiring. If you're planning on doing an entire interior swap, it my be best to get the interior wiring harness, firewall, and a-pillars from the doner vehicle to make life a little easier.

I'm sure that there is a ton of information missing, but I'm hoping you guys can help me add to this. There is page after page of people asking about this stuff, its just nice to have it all in one spot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

**Reserved for future information**

'89 & 90, and even earlier, Bronco II front seats are identical to 1st gen Explorers. Might have to use the Explore seat tracks though.

Aerostar seats will bolt onto the Explorer seat tracks too, although I don't know why you would want to.

The hinge/seatback release from an Aerostar also fits Explorer seats but doesn't have as much travel.

Thanks! I'll add that information

Second gen. headliners will go right into a first. I have one in mine now. The dash can be made to fit, but will require some modification of the "A" pillars to bolt the dash in. I drilled out spot welds on the "A" pillar sheet metal, and welded them into my first gen. It also has the second gen firewall welded in. The adjustable seat belts for the front can also be used in a similar fashion, by using the second gen "B" pillars welded in place of the first gen ones.

My build thread has pictures of this.

added

I'd like to add photos of these parts in a 1st Gen. Please post if you have any and I"ll add them to the first post.

Seats

Thank you for the info!!!! i am looking into replacing 2 of my seats from my 94 explorer as they are breaking down and are uncomfortable to drive or ride in.

Any idea if Taurus seats will fit in there?

I just wanted to make double sure that i was clear on the bolt in seat swap before buying the seats.
I have a 94 explorer so if i buy 2nd gen explorer seats(95-98???) they should just bolt it then?

Thanks

Jordan

At worst, you'll need to use the tracks from your '94, but I don't think that's necessary. Should be a direct swap.

Does anybody know if the doors are interchangable? I'd like to put an entire 96 front set of doors in my 93....?

Back