My new 347 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My new 347

Teaser pic. Should ship today.
More to come when I get my hands on it.

Where's that hard-on Smilie? :eek:

Professionally built stock bottom end by Ford Strokers 28oz imbalance crank
Wiseco pistons, shooting for around 9.6 to 1 comp.
gt40p heads ported (by Thumper) with 1.94/1.54 SS undercut valves and upgraded springs. Intake ports measured 140cc
Custom cam designed with my rear mount turbo in mind

28oz Damper DamperDudes.net (Americas Largest supplier of harmonic balancers)
28oz flex Plate 1830201 - Small Block Ford 289-351W 1963-1982, 28 oz Ext-bal, 164 Teeth
TCS Torque converter shooting for 2400 (1800 stock) stall. Single over-sized clutch for lockup to try to get that turbo spooling, and weight moving.
Trick Flow Track Heat intake
Scorpion Endurance Series Rocker Arms SCC-SCP3021BL
Rocker Arm Channel Kit M-6588-A50
Rocker Arm Pedestal Shim Kit M-6529-A302
Head Dowels TFS-51400420
Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Lifters 851-16
Pushrod Length Checker TFS-9000
Rocker Arm Pedestal Shim Kits M-6529-A302
water pump reverse rotation GMB-125-1960
Oil Pump Melling M68
ARP Head Studs @ 80lbs w moly
ARP Oil Pump Driveshaft Kits 1 54-7904
ARP High Flexplate Bolt Kits 100-2901
PCV Valve EV127A
push rods: Chromoly, 5/16 in. Diameter, 6.250 in. Length, Ball/Ball Ends Comp Cams CCA-8400-16

gaskets:
header gasket remflex 3028 or Earls Pressure Master 29D03AERL
oil pan gasket Fel-Pro OS34508R
Head Gaskets Fel-Pro 9333PT1
lower intake: Fel-Pro FEL-1250s3
Oil Pan Gasket FEL-OS13260T
Bolt O ring oil filter adapter FOTZ6749B
Block O ring oil filter adapter F6TZ6L621AA edit: it was for too large of a circle. I had to cut it back and use ultrablack to ensure a seal.

Crank bearings....Very sad story on my new motor
695-MS590HX x 1 MAIN BEARING SET Standard Size
695-CB634P20 x 8 CONNECTING ROD BEARING 20 thou undersized for cut crank :(
edit...New cam synchro gear needed. Shaft size .531 Use a steel gear

edit:
moved to Twisted Wedge fac 170 heads
Pushrods: 5/16" with a length of 6.7"
Comp Ultra gold 1.6 rockers
Custom FTI cam
Morel link bar lifters
rollmaster timing set
Fel-Pro 1133SD4 MLS head gaskets

Strategy is REAC4A2 for Tuning

Siemens Deka 63lbs/hr EV6 Injector Part #108191
Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump, part #11542

347 at Ford Strokers.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is that a Dart block or a stock Ford block. I love the 347's such a great bore and stroke combo.

Stock block.
I thought about a dart, but its cost is prohibitive for what I'm doing.
By the time I spend the extra cash on the block, I'd need new heads as my ported gt40p's with larger valves just wont support the power. Then, Id really start breaking the rest of my drive train. Just too much for my daily driver.

I'm looking for about 450hp to the wheels. Even at that, I'll be stressing the block. The good news is that the turbo does not add load to the motor and should give me an extremely streetable combo with only 10 to 12lbs boost to attain my goal.

Yep, thing of beauty for sure. Enjoy:chug: :burnout:

Picked up my short block from across the border yesterday.
A few things to note:
1. Boat loads of ptv clearance. a beautiful thing. This was way easier to check than I thought
2. Push rod length measured out to exactly factory length 6.25" I went with comp cams thick wall heat treated 5/16" diameter.
3. A flex plate has become an extreme nuisance. I thought I had it nailed, and Ford Strokers was going to balance me one up and ship with the motor. Nope. Communication issue. So....Try to find a 28oz flex plate with these specs:
28 oz Flex plate
torque converter bolt spacing 11 3/8 (11.375)
164 tooth
Found 1 (yep, just 1 choice)......J.W. Performance Flexplates N93002X $211.97usd
It was the only one I could find. period.

Ok, enough sniveling. If you want to play, you have to pay. Flex Plate ordered.

The timing cover, water pump, damper dudes harmonic balancer, and heads are installed. One thing to make note of is that with the damper dudes harmonic balancer is that the degree marks line up perfectly so TDC is already marked. That made me happy.

A friend was kind enough to offer up a spare vehicle he has temporally so Tim is going to help me pull my motor. Perfect.

Tim is awesome. He is happy to come over and get frustrated all over again and help my with the grunt work of pulling my motor. Tim is Extremely experienced at this (Sorry), and has fantastic ideas to make this less painful.

Im going to try to get the fluids drained tonight (After a friends retirement. It makes me wish I had taken a different employment route so I could be retiring also). Hopefully tomorrow we can make good progress. Neither of us are looking forward to trying to get that trans dipstick or the upper bell-housing bolts off.

As a side note, I think my wife is happy to see the parts starting to leave the living room floor. The guys that came over loved it, but my wife on the other hand.......

Attachments

• timing mark.jpg
    timing mark.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,085
  • ptv clearance.jpg
    ptv clearance.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 984
  • Wiseco piston relief.jpg
    Wiseco piston relief.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 975

That thing is sexy man, I'm jealous haha, if I ever get the money 347 is next on my list.

I'm pretty happy with Ford Strokers work so far.
As long as I can keep from making any mistakes in the rest of the build I'm golden.

I asked for a cam that would work well with my rear mount turbo (higher lsa), keep low end torque, and meet my goal of 450rwhp, and this is what shipped with the short block. Keep in mind the gt40p small intake runner size of 140cc's. The motor 'should' handle the low end torque, then as the turbo spools to life I should attain my 450rwhp goal fairly easily.

Attachments

• cam card.jpg
    cam card.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,023

yea....experienced isnt the word....oh well. besides, i dont mind doing stuff like that if its a cool project. even if it might hand me my ass when its all tuned and done. i might hunt around and see if i have a spare dipstick tube. i have a bad feeling i (we) are going to get frustrated enough to chop it off and be done with it.
you retire? HA! i know what some of that costs. retirement isnt it your distant future. even very distant future.

I have a feeling they are going to be wheeling me out of the office in my wheelchair, gently telling me everything is going to be ok.

I wouldn't bet against you in a race Tim. Evil had kinda gone up and over the 'daily driver' line.
I'm still in the sandbox making sand castles. Maybe one day I'll grow up enough to play with the big boys.

Awesome!!!!!
Looks great so far, cant wait to hear all about it.
Good luck on the engine pull.

No joy today. Didn't get anything done last night.

Today Tim came over and we worked at a leisurely pace. Getting the front diff out took longer than we thought (it fought us a bit).
I'm bartending tonight, so we called it quits early so I could clean up.
Tomorrow we have the hard bolts to do. The upper bellhousing bolts and that trans dipstick tube bolt. We're close, but far from out of the woods.

Thanks again for the help Tim, I really wouldn't want to be doing this alone. I'd run out of patience I'm sure.

Oh, and Tim did get to play with the sawzall. The custom exhaust had no breaks in it.....it does now. :)

Nice :D

Subscribed.

Nice power plant so far!

Engine out

Engine is out, that was fast!
Good work guys!

It was all Tim......

Tonight I spent cleaning, and moving parts.

Oil pump and sump are in along with buttoning up the oil pan. Here's something interesting....
Some of the pan bolts are too long in the new block. Tim came over and saw me scratching my head as I was torquing one. He was interested and wanted to feel what I was feeling.... and... snap. This was super funny as I did this on his 347 with a valve cover bolt. Anyway, no harm done. We had spare bolts. We didn't actually know the bolts were bottoming out....i found this after Tim left. Anyway, interesting. All 302 blocks are not really the same.
Also, my oil filter adapter from the original block wont bolt on. There's a different fitting in the block. No idea how to get it out. I'll email a pic to Ford Strikers tomorrow asking the question.

Other than that, the dog bones are on the lifters, and I have laid the intake and Valve covers on the new motor for the night.

I'm hoping my push rods show up before the end of the week. There's lots of stuff to keep me busy thru the week.

edit...Summit emailed me on the flex plate and push rods. They are not due in till their inventory till the 18th of the month. I didn't expect this. Looks like I have all kinds of time to do other things on the truck now.

Can you find any numbers on the block? I'm betting its an older one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks like its out of a F-150. The only reason I say that is there is a screw hole in the top of the block at the very back where the F-150 knock sensor went.

Back