Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Vent blower only works when switch is on "high". Help!

Old 06-09-2005, 07:17 AM   #1
imq707s
Springfield, Missouri
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question Vent blower only works when switch is on "high". Help!

I noticed this morning on the way to work that the vent blower control on my Mountaineer only turns on the blower when it is switched to the max speed position. The low and medium speeds don't turn the blower on. If I had to guess I would say that there are set of resistors either in the switch or somewhere else that went bad....and the only time the blower will turn in is when the resistors are bypasses (turned on high speed). Anyone had this problem before? Is the problem in the switch itself or somewhere else? My mountaineer is a 97', and had the three vent control knobs in the center dash console under the stereo. Thanks for the help.
imq707s is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imq707s
I noticed this morning on the way to work that the vent blower control on my Mountaineer only turns on the blower when it is switched to the max speed position. The low and medium speeds don't turn the blower on. If I had to guess I would say that there are set of resistors either in the switch or somewhere else that went bad....and the only time the blower will turn in is when the resistors are bypasses (turned on high speed). Anyone had this problem before? Is the problem in the switch itself or somewhere else? My mountaineer is a 97', and had the three vent control knobs in the center dash console under the stereo. Thanks for the help.

It's probably the resistor pack or the wiring harness to it. I had the same problem a couple of months ago. I thought it was the resistor pack, but it turned out the harness and plug had melted down due to corrosion getting in there. The harness with plug and the resistor pack are available from the stealership for $30.

I think I posted some pics of it in my gallery in my signature.

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
imq707s
Springfield, Missouri
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks, I'll have to check out your pics.

Where is the resistor pack located?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
2manytoyz
levittown, P.A.
96 xl

Vehicle Specs

wheres the pics of the resisters?
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #5
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Click the link in my signature. Then go to the Explore Pics from the pull-down. I thought I had more pics in there, but I guess I never posted them.... sorry. I got some pretty good pics of the repair, but it'll be the weekend before I can add them to the gallery.

In words, the resistors are under the hood, passenger side, on the front side of the blower housing. It's easier if you pull the one bolt out of the speed control servo and move it out of the way. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket to get the screws out of the resistor pack. It's easier if you can move the washer fluid reservoir as I did the first time I changed them. It's not impossible without moving it, just a squeeze.

Hope that helps.

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
Old 06-09-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
briwayjones
Elite Explorer
Sykesville, MD

'00 XLS, '03 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It could be the blower motor. A friend had that problem and that's what it was.

Mobil 1 & Amsoil Synthetic Fluids, 2WD switch Brown wire mod, KKM air intake, overhead console, lighted sunvisors, custom 2nd HU install, '03 Ranger Fog lights, Hurst short-shifter, 75MM MAF, BBK 66MM Throttle Body
My 2000 Explorer
briwayjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #7
imq707s
Springfield, Missouri
1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
If it was a bad motor....then is wouldn't work at all....right?

The blower does work, but only on the "high" setting.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

If it was the motor itself, it wouldn't work in any position. In high speed, the relay bypasses the resistor pack. On the three lower speeds, the current passes through the resistors dropping the voltage going into the blower motor. In any setting, if the blower motor is bad, it won't work at all.

Odds are it's either a bad resistor pack, bad connection at the connector, or both.

Oh, and I forgot to mention something about my last post..... I used some silicone to seal up the outside of the new plug, and some dielectric grease to seal up the connections themselves. It should be pretty weather-tight now, and I haven't had any issues with the harness getting hot yet. It's nice having all four blower positions back now.

Now if I could just get to the one for the rear blower......

-Joe

~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page