Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

Front suspension creaking

Old 03-17-2004, 01:31 AM   #1
jayhawkexplorer
Elite Explorer
Mission, Kansas

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Front suspension creaking

I took my Ex out doing some wheelin' on Saturday and it definitely took a beating on some rocks up and down some steep hills at Tuttle Creek. Everything seems to be fine and normal except one thing. When I go over the large speed bumps at my apartment complex, even at a low speed, I hear this creaking from the front suspension. It almost sounds like something's not lubricated right. The noise doesn't show up in everyday driving, just on the speed bumps. Any ideas??

Had a Mazda Protege5 for 32 days before it got totaled by a fellow driver, now owner of an '03 Mazda 6s.
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:37 AM   #2
sawdust123
Elite Explorer
SOUTHGATE, MI / NANTUCKET, MA

95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

mine was doing the same thing. i took in in for some service and they replaced the ball joints on both sides. that took care of it.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:38 AM   #3
jayhawkexplorer
Elite Explorer
Mission, Kansas

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
They've already been replaced once; I don't imagine the ball joints would go out twice in 85,000 miles would they??

Had a Mazda Protege5 for 32 days before it got totaled by a fellow driver, now owner of an '03 Mazda 6s.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:35 AM   #4
sawdust123
Elite Explorer

95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

like i said mine was identical to that. rolling slowly when you turn your wheel does it make the noise.

mine have been replaced i think twice in 82,000 but i am on the beach with it about 4 times a week in the summer. the ocean salt water doesn't work too well with vehicles.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:30 PM   #5
jayhawkexplorer
Elite Explorer
Mission, Kansas

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Nope...only get the noise when I hit those speed bumps...anybody else got a theory??

Old 03-17-2004, 12:33 PM   #6
daniel cauchon
Terrebonne,Province of Quebec
1995 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

definitly lower ball joints..

Old 03-17-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
JasonF
2004 XLT 4x4 4.0

Vehicle Specs

If its the ball joints creaking you should hear it when you go over bumps OR when you turn the steering wheel. Just replaced mine and it took care of the problem.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:53 PM   #8
jayhawkexplorer
Elite Explorer
Mission, Kansas

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I tried slow speed turning and nothing happened. The noise ONLY appears when I go over severe road conditions like speed bumps, anything else it just sounds normal. I don't want to end up taking this to a mechanic to diagnose, the only one I really trust is 600 miles away at home.

Old 03-18-2004, 12:32 AM   #9
wa4kc
Memphis, TN
99 EB 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Do what I do. Wait for something to break all the way or fall off. I have a noise similar to yours but I have no idea what it is either. I think mine is something to do with the 4-wheel drive. It could be a shock or something. Can you shake your truck and hear the noise with the truck parked? Try to simulate the movement while it is sitting still.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:10 AM   #10
jayhawkexplorer
Elite Explorer
Mission, Kansas

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
haha...I like that philosophy. I'm just picky about my Ex and I want it to work properly, especially since I have 2.5 more years on my used car warranty that covers basically everything that's not routine maintenance for a $100 deductible. It cost me $1200 but its already almost paid for. I had to get the transfer case flange and alternator replaced already, which totaled almost $800. I know I'll be using it again at least on the front suspension before the thing expires.

No, I can't simulate it when it sits still, probably because I can't push down hard enough to simulate going over speed bumps. So I don't think its the shocks. I don't think its the ball joints because I've ridden in Ex's with bad ones. Its easy to tell because when braking, it almost feels like the suspension is disconnected from the body. Mine feels fine and like it should. Could it be something with the torsion bar adjuster? I got that suggestion from one of the KCAX guys....

Old 03-18-2004, 04:23 AM   #11
mhn3773
C.A
91 zuki

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by jayhawkexplorer
They've already been replaced once; I don't imagine the ball joints would go out twice in 85,000 miles would they??
when u think about something like that becareful because u dont know what kind of quality the parts were that were put on..my mom had that trouble with the brakes on her GV the pads disintigrated after 3k miles..no ones fault they just were defective but she was adimint that the brakes were not bad so she ended up needed a new rotor aswell as my gloating ass saying i told u so
Old 03-29-2004, 12:18 AM   #12
jayhawkexplorer
Elite Explorer
Mission, Kansas

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well I drove around tonight and tried a little more to diagnose the problem. The creaking only occurs when both wheels get pushed up hard on speedbumps. I went over a speedbump with 1 wheel at a time and the noise didn't appear. Driving over bumps in normal driving didn't make the sound appear either. And I tried pushing down on the front bumper as hard as I could but it wouldn't appear then either. A guy from KCAX thought maybe it could be body mounts; anybody else like that theory??

Old 03-29-2004, 12:31 AM   #13
skumancer
Panama
'98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I have the noise...but its on ALL the time...when I turn the wheel, when I go over bumps, when I move the car lateraly by hand...The guys at Ford say its the lower and upper ball joints and that I'll have to change the whole upper control arm because they can't replace just the ball joints. Do you guys think its really the control arm or could I just replace the ball joints? I don't wanna pay $600 (thats the cost of the 2 control arms and other thingies plus labor) If I can solve it just changing the ball joints.

Old 03-29-2004, 11:16 AM   #14
shobnob
cali
1991 XLT

Vehicle Specs

front bushings ans shocks will stop that creaking noise
Old 03-29-2004, 01:13 PM   #15
superchef
Surrey BC, Canada
93 4x4 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Ih ave a 93 ex. Same issue. I just replaced my radius arm bushings(clunk noise), drop link bushings and sway bar bushings(creaking over speed bumps). Noises all gone. If you get a creaking sound it almost always will be metal on rubber - meaning a bushing. If it is metal on metal it will have a different sound - almost a grinding creak.
Change your sway bar bushings - it is cheap and easy to do. If this does not fix the problem then start looking at the more expensive stuff to replace.

93 XLT 4x4
31 x 10.5 / 15's
Stock - no mods yet
Old 03-29-2004, 02:11 PM   #16
jayhawkexplorer
Elite Explorer
Mission, Kansas

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Anybody have a diagram that can show me exactly where the sway bar bushings are? I've got my Haynes manual but I'm having a tough time finding it in here.

Old 03-29-2004, 04:08 PM   #17
BML325
Lake Mary, FL
'02 Eddie Bauer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I have a 2002 4x4 with 44,000 miles and I have the same noise, only when I go over large speed bumps though. Everything else is quiet and works fine.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:09 PM   #18
BradE.
Cincinnati, OH
1997 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumancer
I have the noise...but its on ALL the time...when I turn the wheel, when I go over bumps, when I move the car lateraly by hand...The guys at Ford say its the lower and upper ball joints and that I'll have to change the whole upper control arm because they can't replace just the ball joints. Do you guys think its really the control arm or could I just replace the ball joints? I don't wanna pay $600 (thats the cost of the 2 control arms and other thingies plus labor) If I can solve it just changing the ball joints.
The "guys at Ford" are correct. The upper ball joints on a 98 X are pressed into the upper control arms and come as a assembly. It's the same way with aftermarket parts like Moog, so if your going to replace the uppers you need to replace the whole upper control arm/ball joint assembly. No way around it.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:08 PM   #19
sawdust123
Elite Explorer

95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

mine was around 800 for the control arms and all. it took care of the noises. also mine didn't make the noise when i pushed it down either but it was the ball joints.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page