• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump question

pegger

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg.MB.Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 xlt
I was just wondering if i should hear my fuel pump come on for a few seconds while connecting my battery? I've been tracing a battery drain for almost 2 weeks now and am at a loss? shouldnt that relay only power when the key is turned to on?

Thanks in advance
Devin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes...the fuel pump should only be powered when the key is in the run position...

So i should look at replacing the relay's under the power distrabution block ?

When reconecting the battery some circuits may not function correctly for several seconds while the circuit Resets itself. After connecting the battery wait a few minutes and turn the key to run. If the fuel pump goes on (you hear the whine) it is working correctly. The whine indicates the pump has turned on and therfore must have been Off before.

ok cause i was under the impression i shouldnt hear it when i reconnect the battery? when i do i hear a couple relays click, the fuel pump whines for a few seconds and then all is quiet. is that normal?

DEROCHA said:
After connecting the battery wait a few minutes and turn the key to run. If the fuel pump goes on (you hear the whine) it is working correctly. The whine indicates the pump has turned on and therfore must have been Off before.

You shouldn't hear it, but as a said whenever you reset the car's electronics by re-connecting the battery some non-standard things can occur. If you follow the above info you will be able to detemine if the fuel pump is on or off when you turn the key to run. I the fuel pump makes NO noise then it idicates it is already on and you have a problem.

Back