• Register Today It's free!

2000 explorer overheating

bbmoose

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
background:2000 4.0l sohc automatic,58000miles,New temp gauge less than 2 months ago and at NO time the ac was used.
On saturday took the family out for some running arrends.When 1 mile(no warmup) and stopped to pickup a few items at parents house,left it idle for a total of 4minutes.Noticed the temp rising near the very end(high part of normal letters) of the gauge.We left and went about 2 miles and waited in line(less than 5minutes) at dunkin doughnuts drive through.The temp was very high again and the trans started to shift late and stronger than normal.Also noticed backfiring a few times.I had it in nuetral while waiting in line by the way.
Pulled out of there and turned heat on high(outside temp was only 75 or less in PA around 9am).Temp started to drop but as soon as i gave it gas the temp started climbing(throught total time the gauge never read its normal area)and went to overheat mark,but no cel or other lights came on(never did at all,not even the check gauge light even though it hit the red mark(overheating) twice.
After another mile i pulled over and checked under the hood.radiator fan running,fluid in the overflow bottle,top radiator hose hot as hell,no fluid from the waterpump weephole,but the exhaust at the rear of the x sounded strange and was super hot.
Today(sunday) i went and checked the oil(within the marks little dirty,but it has 1000miles on it,but no milkshake)
Checked antifreeze(looks very good,no milkshake)
Overflow bottle is between full and add(about 2 months ago it was at full)

With all the info whats anyones thoughts.
I was thinking:
1.waterpump went(heard that happens sometimes without weeping)
2.catalitic convertor went(might explain the overheating,backfiring and weird sound from exhaust)
3.thermostat bad
4. cracked head(but no milkshake in either fluid,but i guess it doesnt always happen anyway.
5.blown head gasket(see above).

ok i hope i gave enough info to help gather some thoughts or opinions.
Sorry so long just wanted to make sure all info was availible

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sure feel for you. Just had my own problems this past week with my SOHC. Thermostat was stuck closed. Coolant wasn't reaching into the upper radiator hose to be sent through the radiator to cool down. My actually coolant boiled out of my overflow tank. It's a cheap fix and not an extreme amount of work either.

If your upper radiator hose is hot, that would typically mean that your fluid is flowing through. My hose was hot yet, no fluid was pushing through, it was from heat off the engine. Another thing to consider is the radiator cap losing pressure.

thanks guys for the thoughts so far.
There was no fluid at all showing/dripping.Also the top hose was hot as he** and full too(i tried to squeeze it without thinking so i know it was hot and full of pressure,darn hand still hurts...

Since thermostats are 15 dollars...try that first.

thanks guys.
It was the thermostat.
I bought one from the local ford dealership today.
Flushed the whole system 3x with tap water.Then disco heatercore lines and flushed throught both lines several times.Then reconnected everything and filled and flushed 2x with distilled water.Then did a 50/50 mix(all done after new stat installed by the way).
Thing runs nice and cool,and also have nice peace of mind knowing everything is new.
Again thanks to all very much.

Back