Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Projects - Hobbies and Additional Topics > Projects - Hobbies - DIY > Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications

Notices

Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications I have found that fourwheeling and ham radio go hand in hand. Post any questions or comments about the great hobby of amateur radio here. Of course CB'ers are welcome also. Ray, AE6H and Joe, N1LVN both moderate this forum.

Sharp CB-2460?

Old 07-19-2004, 12:15 AM   #1
agzaretzka
Elite - G-d Bless!
Kennewick, WA

1991 EB

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Sharp CB-2460?

I've had this CB radio in my garage for about fifteen years, and know nothing about it (or CB in general). Now that I have an Explorer, I'm wanting to add this CB, assuming it works. So, is this a good model? reliable or problematic? etc.....

I understand the volume, squelch, and channel controls, but what are the ANL (on/off) and DELTA (+/0/-)? (As I said, I have no experience with CBs, except what I have been reading here). It has a little signal power meter on the front; how is that used? Also, on the back, it has an external speaker connector and a PA speaker connector. How do they differ? only in that the external connector disconnects the internal speaker and the PA runs in conjunction with? or ...?

And, anyone know what year(s) this was actually made?

Tomorrow I'll start cleaning it up and see if it works.

Thanks for all the help!
agzaretzka is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-22-2004, 01:37 AM   #2
Ray Hutchinson
Moderator Emeritus
Dana Point, CA

'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question

agzaretzka,

Sorry, I have never seen or even heard of Sharp making CB radios, but maybe others have. Is it a 23 (old style) or 40 channel (newer) radio, Obviously, a 40 channel radio is more desirable so you can find a channel that isn't too busy that you can use in common with the group or area you're running in. If local custom or group preference is to use one of the channels 24 thru 40, and you only have a 23 channel radio, you're SOL.

AS for the "ANL" that is the Automatic Noise Limiter, a circuit that reduces the intensity of some types of recieved static, especially sharp pulses like spark plug "pop". It doesn't do anything for transmit. Most folks turn the ANL on and leave it on.

The Delta tune is usually a type of fine tuning that allows you to shift the reciever i.f. section slightly up or down in frequency to compensate for a recieved station that is slightly off frequency, or to reduce a frequency specific type of static. You can shift up or down slightly to improve the quality of the recieved signal.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you get it working and/ or have more questions

'06 F250 SD Dsl (Big Red 'Plorer Puller)
'01 Lincoln LS-V8
'66 'Stang CA Sprint
Ray Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:17 PM   #3
agzaretzka
Elite - G-d Bless!
Kennewick, WA

1991 EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the info. Its a 40 channel - I would not have bothered if it was older

Seems to be working fine; not being familiar with CBs I don't know if the amount of static I have is close to normal or not. Also tested with external speaker, and PA works too. It fits nicely in the ashtray slot; just need to make some trim for it. Hard part is deciding where to mount the antenna. I know the best is up top, but I'm leaning towards putting it in place of the am/fm antenna. . . .
Old 08-20-2004, 09:42 PM   #4
agzaretzka
Elite - G-d Bless!
Kennewick, WA

1991 EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Antenna Mounted

I like the look; seems to work ok too....

Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
nbfinsen@aol.com
Bristol, PA

Vehicle Specs

I used to have an old Sharp CB (they didn't make many, & not for long), one of the best little radios I ever owned. I don't remember mod #, mine had nice easy-grip rubber knobs. Had it in my "big-truck" back in the early 80s, nice rugged l'il radio, "talked" pretty good too. My advice; get you a magnet-mount K-40 antenna (they come pretty well matched right outta the box) & put it in the middle of the front 1/3 of your roof & if the radio doesn't have a "mic gain" (I don't think it does) get an Astatic "Red Devil" pre-amp mic for it, or if it does, get Astatic's noise canceller stock mic for it & use the mic-gain pre-amp in the radio to raise & lower your modulation (voice). If it still works you got a good l'il radio there.
nbfinsen@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page