Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Elite Explorer 911!

Notices

Elite Explorer 911! 911! is for situations where your truck is currently out of commission and the owner is in a crisis situation. Members will try to answer your questions asap, no time frame is guaranteed. Only Elite Explorers can post new threads in this forum

removing rear rotors on 2000 explorer

Old 08-16-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
cfcstl
St. Louis MO
2000 xls

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
removing rear rotors on 2000 explorer

I'm in a time crunch so I thought I would give this a try. Being the nice guy I am, I offered to change the rear pads and rotors for a friend today. I have done a lot of front discs but this is my first time at the rears. I was able to remove the pads ok, but I cannot remove the rotors from either side. I removed the rubber plug and backed off the parking brake adjusters, but neither rotor will budge. I have tried tapping with a hammer but nothing,
I suspect the parking brakes are stuck against the inside of the rotor, but how would I loosen them up enough to slide the rotor off?
Any help soon and I can fix the brakes today, otherwise the old pads go back on until I figure this out.

Thanks.
cfcstl is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:31 PM   #2
Doug
I'm Awesome!
Home is where the Army tells me. Right now it's Manorville, NY

Vehicle Specs

The rear rotors can be a real pita to get off, you really have to pound on them sometimes to break them loose. Hit the center of the axle shaft with a good hammer, you have to work at it, eventually they'll come loose.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
Hokie
Hokius Maximus
Denver, CO

'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Vehicle Specs

spray a little penetrating oil at the seam between the axle and the rotor... then try tapping on the rotor with a ball peen hammer (remember no claw hammers on metal) or rubber mallet. i never figured out if hitting it hard or just tapping it alot is the trick. but both ultimately work especially if you're replacing the rotor anyway

Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #4
Jobesmind
Mansfield, OH
99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Tough situation )

I just completed a complete Brake system overhaul on my 99' xt. Not a moment in my life i wish to remember. Rotors are cheap fronts are around $18-34 each (got mine for $18 Each) Rear's were a bit more at $48 Each.... I purchased the XT used and fiqured the previous owner did not have the Emergancy Brakes serviced!!! Which brought me to the shade tree mechanic tactic's (I did try the lube and hammer) which may be the best route for you.

(You may damage your rotors doing this along with your emergancy brake shoes & possible hardware -- Replace it anyway if you have to resort to this tactic!!)

Using a Tire Iron wedge the cut end (like a flat head screw driver) behind the rotor and the open area where the sheild has a gap (dont wedge on the sheild as you will bend it) and begin 'jerking' back and forth. You will hear a small pop or creak after awhile, stop and rotate the rotor a bit and repeat. Never fails.. but only use this when all else fails or when you know the E. brake system has failed horribly or was never serviced and binded to the rotor.

After pulling mine I had 4 brake pads (2 pads that split and seperated) 1 shoe and 1 clip and half of the upper spring fall out with it.. Not to many people pay atten. to the E. Brake system and It can cause alot of damage in just 2-3 years if not cared for..

Hope it helps....

(If you get in a tight spot with the E. Brake and hardware you can totally remove the whole assembly for repair at a later date but I didnt say that it's not good to remove safety features and its illegal in some states .... but it is a quick solution...
Jobesmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
crashmk92
San Diego, CA
1998 Explorer XLT 2x4 4.0

Vehicle Specs

This is my first time doing the brakes on this car. Can anybody help me get the rear rotors off on this thing? What are they held on by once you take off the calipers? Do I have to take the hub apart? Thanks!

Joe
crashmk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
chris_miller
Sydney - New South Wales - Australia
1998 XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

AU rear brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmk92
This is my first time doing the brakes on this car. Can anybody help me get the rear rotors off on this thing? What are they held on by once you take off the calipers? Do I have to take the hub apart? Thanks!

Joe
The emergency brake shoes are inside the rotor. They sometimes wear the inside of the rotor and leave a lip on the outermost side of the rotor and this makes the emergency brake shoes inside the rotor bigger than the outside lip. When you try to remove the rotor the brake shoes are hitting the lip and will not allow the rotor to be removed. Make sure the emergency brake is not on, and that you adjust the emergency brake shoes to the lowest setting. From the back side of the rotor there is a small slot that allows you to adjust the inside emergency brake shoes so turn the adjust pin all the way one way and make sure the drum still turns freely. If this is not the problem, then as above you may just have to break it free from the axel.

Have fun, I know I did.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page