Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer Audio & Navigation

Notices

Explorer Audio & Navigation Audio and navigation systems. CD, DVD, MP3, GPS, Video, Mobile Computer, Speakers, Amplifiers.

Question about Ford changers...

Old 08-16-2004, 04:43 PM   #1
uansari
Cincinnati, OH.
'00 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question about Ford changers...

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and had a question about what options I have with my truck.

I've got a 2000 XLS with what I assume to be the midline AM/FM/cassette/CD player. I'd like to know what options I have when it comes to installing another Ford HU. I see many 6 disc in dash changers on eBay, and would love to have the convenience of a changer in the dash...

Is this an option? If not, what are my options?

Thanks,

Usman
uansari is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
BBQ_HotDogs
A Man Without Wheels
Houston, Texas

98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)

Vehicle Specs

There are units out there by Ford that are 6 disks changers. Is that what you are looking for or you talking about going aftermarket. And buyer beware of E-Bay electronics.
BBQ_HotDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
member02
va beach, va
02 xls

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and had a question about what options I have with my truck.

I've got a 2000 XLS with what I assume to be the midline AM/FM/cassette/CD player. I'd like to know what options I have when it comes to installing another Ford HU. I see many 6 disc in dash changers on eBay, and would love to have the convenience of a changer in the dash...

Is this an option? If not, what are my options?

Thanks,

Usman
you should not do that, you'll more than likely spend more money on the used cd player and the 6 disk cd changer than you would buying a new aftermarket cd player and cd changer. and the stock ford one sucks.

cd changers are not so great. I would simply suggest you go get your cds, burn them all into mp3s on your computer, then go buy an mp3 cd player, and you'll be able to have organized folders, song names, file names, etc shown from the mp3, not to mention you can hold around 100-150 songs per mp3 cd. thats what I do, I have 20 gigs in mp3s, thats around 15 cds, pop one in for a long trip, and i've got enough music to last for 10 hours before changing cds.

also, don't be afraid of ebay, it's simply a matter of understanding how/who/when to buy on ebay. a few key things to remember:

1. check the seller's feedback (the little number in () next to his ebay name) make sure he has nearly perfect feedback from the things he's sold.
a. if he has no feedback and is selling stuff on ebay, don't buy it.
b. if he has over 20 selling feedbacks then you should consider him trustworthy
2. check the price with other prices on ebay, don't get ripped off.
3. check the shipping price
a. don't pay much more than $1 per lb
b. don't accept usps for shipping (things get lost), only accept ups, fedex, and dhl
c. if nothing is listed, before bidding, contact the seller and ask how much it is to ship, supply him with your zip code in the email.
4. never pay with money orders!
5. never pay with cash!
6. use secure paypal or credit card transactions.
7. make sure nothing is misprinted, such as the product number, or wrong picture. make sure the picture was taken by the seller, and NOT a copy from the product's website.
a. if it's used, always ask the condition, and if there are ANY cosmetic or physical defects.
b. if it's used and there is no picture available, email the seller asking for a picture.
8. if contacting the seller fails in any of the above cases, don't buy it.

ebay's website has even more tips, but these are generally the rules I follow.

I have over 40 feedback from buying and selling numerous things on ebay, with 100% positive feedback, never had one single bad transaction since i follow the above rules. and I always seem to buy stuff thats over $300, lol.

Last edited by member02; 08-17-2004 at 12:28 PM.
member02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
raginraj
Los Angeles, CA
'00 XLS 4x4 (4.0L OHV)

Vehicle Specs

yeah, go with what member02 says or get a new HU with an AUX input jack so you an hardwire an mp3 player right into the deck. i have this old archos 5GB jukebox and i'm currently researching a good setup that will allow me to plug it in instead of using that damn cassette adapter.

K&N GenII FIPK, throttle cable mod, Michelin CrossTerrain tires, Linear Logic ScanGauge, Silverstars (head & fog), custom catback exhaust (2.25" tubing, Magnaflow muffler, 3" SS tip), Autovation pedals, front TT, stubby antenna, EE rear swaybar, custom slotted cross-drilled rotors

Explorer Registry
CarDomain

A Bruin is forever, but a Trojan's only good once.
raginraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:44 PM   #5
member02
va beach, va
02 xls

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raginraj
yeah, go with what member02 says or get a new HU with an AUX input jack so you an hardwire an mp3 player right into the deck. i have this old archos 5GB jukebox and i'm currently researching a good setup that will allow me to plug it in instead of using that damn cassette adapter.
yea, thats a good idea too, I believe alpine is comming out with an ipod compatible aux input, it supposedly interacts with ipod's system. cool. too bad I hate apple.

I outta do that too, I'm getting too lazy to change cd's now days. I should buy that 20gig jukebox mp3 player.
member02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:03 PM   #6
uansari
Cincinnati, OH.
'00 XLS

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the input guys... I saw the 6 disk in dash changers that are from Ford... the reason I wanted to look into that was cuz it would look more stock, which is the best theft deterrant, IMO. So definitely not a good idea to get something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43948

Thanks again,

Usman
Old 08-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #7
BBQ_HotDogs
A Man Without Wheels
Houston, Texas

98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)

Vehicle Specs

I would positively pass on that one for sure. IF you want to stay stock, there are much better ones out there than that one. Have you looked in your local junk yards yet? Do you want to stay with the factory look or have you thought about going into the aftermarket selection of players?
BBQ_HotDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:20 PM   #8
uansari
Cincinnati, OH.
'00 XLS

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I'd like to stick with the stock look, as I see many people's trucks get broken into for stereo's. I was leaning toward that Ford HU cuz I figured it would be a simple plug n play affair. I was hoping the plugs were the same and I could just plug it in and go...
Old 08-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #9
cobrajeff
Elite Explorer
Daytona, FL
2007 Lincoln MKX

Vehicle Specs

Ford CDX6 Radio (w/integral changer)

A Ford CDX6 radio would be a straight plug-in swap for your 2000 Explorer. Two important things, though - first, you need a "Premium Sound" version, NOT one from the Audiophile System (aka "Mach"). The "Mach" version has a "DSP" button (like your e-bay example), and will not sound right in your vehicle, assuming you do not presently have a "Mach" sound system. The radio for the Mach system sends all of the low frequencies to a separate, remote SW amp, without adding that, your radio will sound like it has no Bass (because all the bass is channeled to the SW line out).

The second thing is, if you get one of these radios used, you want to get one with the shipping bracket intact! If somebody ships it across country to you without the shipping bracket, the radio's CD mechanism will likely get damaged. Here's what the bracket looks like:

I have a CDX6 radio in my Mountaineer, along with the Mach Audio Sound System, and a console-mounted factory Ford CD changer. With this radio, you can have six discs in the radio, six more in the console changer, and be able to use all of your Steering Wheel Controls, Rear Seat Controls, etc., without adding a bunch of adapters and such. You can even play two discs at the same time (one through the speakers, the other through the rear seat headphone jacks - Ford calls it "Dual Playback" mode).

regards,

cobrajeff
cobrajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:34 AM   #10
uansari
Cincinnati, OH.
'00 XLS

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Is there a part number I should be looking for?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Usman
Old 08-18-2004, 02:26 PM   #11
cobrajeff
Elite Explorer
Daytona, FL
2007 Lincoln MKX

Vehicle Specs

CDX6 Premium Radios

The CDX6 Premium radios that would work in your application (Premium Sound W/O Audiophile, with Spring-clip mount) would include the following models:

1C3F-18C815-AB (originally for Ranger, Escape, and F250 truck)
2L3T-18C815-AA (originally for F-150 Series truck)
1S8F-18C815-AC (originally for Mercury Cougar)

Some of the radios that fit, but you should not use because they are meant for a Ford Audiophile system with a separate Subwoofer would be:

1L2F-18C815-LA/MA (Sport/Sport Trac)
2L2T-18C815-BB/HA (Explorer Sport)

YL2F-18C815-BE (Ford Escape)

3L2T-18C815-AD/BD/CD/DD (Explorer Sport and Sport Trac)

regards,

cobrajeff
Old 08-18-2004, 04:07 PM   #12
uansari
Cincinnati, OH.
'00 XLS

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Sweet! Thanks bro!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
spruse
99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

99 Explorer XLT

I have a 99 Explorer XLT with the optional subwoofer installed, but the stereo it came with isn't the original so it doesn't work with the woofer. So I'm trying to get one on eBay like this guy.

How do I tell if I have the Audiophile system and which one will work for me?

Thanks!
spruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
cobrajeff
Elite Explorer
Daytona, FL
2007 Lincoln MKX

Vehicle Specs

Explorer Audiophile radios

If your '99 has the factory subwoofer in it, then it would have had the Audiophile Sound System. The correct radio for a '99 with the Audiophile System would be a "T100i+" Dual Media radio, part # F87F-18C868-AD (any radio with the same prefix, "F87F", and a suffix that begins with the same first letter, like AA, AB, AC, AD, AE. AF - would work).

Another radio that should work, but wouldn't have exactly the same EQ, would be F87F-18C868-BD. This radio is EQ'd for a 2-door Explorer (and also for the Ford Escape).

If your plans include to upgrade the the factory CDX6 (6-disc changer/receiver) radio, the following models should fit your truck and drive the factory subwoofer:

1L2F-18C815-LA/MA
YL2F-18C815-BE/FA/LA
3L2T-18C815-AD/BD

These radios are Audiophile models for Escape, Explorer Sport 2 door, and Explorer Sport Trak. The EQ may be slightly different than for the 4 door Explorer. Ford was also playing around with radio bezel colors at that time, that's why there are so many part numbers for basically the same radio. Some of those will have black, some silver, and some charcoal colored bezels.

regards,

cobrajeff
Old 09-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #15
CDW6212R
Elite Explorer
Knoxville, TN

98 Mountaineer A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
I know of two colors for OEM radios, have I missed one? What is a charcoal colored unit like?

Say Jeff, that is all good information, but what do you know of the later CDX6 units? Were any of them made by Pioneer like the first Mach and Premium HU's?

I have a Mach with 5 RCA outputs, made for my three amps and stock location speakers. I like the factory look and features, I don't want to attract thieves to my truck. I'd love to be able to get the same quality of sound from a CDX6, but I have heard that the other OEM HU's have normal cheap stock signal quality. Thanks,

Be American, Buy American (Manufacturer)
CDW6212R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #16
naner9
Brackettville, Texas
2002 xlt

Vehicle Specs

How do I find Compatible part numbers for the 6 disk radio/cd thing ?

Hi Yall

Im trying to find out what parts are compatible to replace my 6 disck cd player radio thingy in my Explorer ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2002 4 door XLT Explorer. the part number is 1L2F-18C815-AE

I have seen very similar numbers that look just like mine.... but I hesitate to do the ebay thing and get it wrong. I have called the dealerships... but they have been no help.

thanks Ya'll
Nancy
naner9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #17
cobrajeff
Elite Explorer
Daytona, FL
2007 Lincoln MKX

Vehicle Specs

CDX6 Premium Sound Radio Head Unit

Your CDX6 radio, part number 1L2F-18C815-AE is the standard "Premium Sound" version of the CDX6 with a "hardmount" bezel. The unique "hardmount" (it bolts in instead of using "spring-clips" like earlier version Explorer radios) limits yoyr choices for a replacement radio. Here are the part numbers of a couple units that should be a direct replacement:

2L2T-18C815-EA (this radio is for a later production 2002 Explorer)

2L1F-18C815-AC (this radio is from the Ford Expedition truckline)

"Audiophile" versions of the CDX6 radio will not sound right in your application because you don't have a subwoofer in your original application.

regards,

cobrajeff
Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #18
jrford
Birmingham, MI
'10 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

I also have an '04 EB that came with the Rear DVD Ent system, steering controls but no Sub-Woofer. Radio doesn’t have the extra plug for and its a 4L2t-18c868CA. When i upgraded to Polks (some 2ways, mdl number I forgot - $30 a pair) I lost the low end bass. When I listen to my friends '04 he had a CD-6 W/Factory Subwoofer and it sounded great. When I switch my radio i have AM/FM/FM2/CD/VID/AUX2.

Hopefully someone may know what radio do i need to get the Audiophile HU CD-6 with Rear DVD and Subwoofer - the part no. I think is 4L2T-18C815-?? something something letters. So I have the subwoofer already, I can change the harness or add wire but I Don’t know what letter to look for. I'm thinking AD but I did find a AF for cheap
Thanks for any help
Jim

2004 EB Quad Buckets V8 AWD, 105k

Last edited by jrford; 01-24-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: sp
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #19
titanstats

Vehicle Specs

Hate reviving old threads, but don't like making new posts unnecessarily. I have a 2000 as well, and am wondering if the newer changers fit in as well. I work in a downtown area, and don't want a crackhead popping my window for an aftermarket unit -- don't need to replace any more door locks!

A fellow has a changer unit, part number 5L8T-18C815-CE on CL -- would this be a match for my vehicle? I think it's from an '05 Escape.

Thanks!

Last edited by titanstats; 10-31-2008 at 05:18 PM.
titanstats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:49 PM   #20
CAHUNTERMAN
Turlock, CA
99 XLT 4.0 OHV 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Don't know if this helps but I put the stock Ford in-dash 6 changer out of my 2003 F-350 into my 99 Explorer with no problems, same plugs and mounting.

CAHUNTERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page