Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Elite Explorer 911!

Notices

Elite Explorer 911! 911! is for situations where your truck is currently out of commission and the owner is in a crisis situation. Members will try to answer your questions asap, no time frame is guaranteed. Only Elite Explorers can post new threads in this forum

98 "Auto" 4WD lights flashing on dash

Old 08-17-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
rlhack
Corona, CA
1998 4 Dr, 4WD XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
98 "Auto" 4WD lights flashing on dash

My 1998 4WD (4.0, SOHC engine, 5 spd automatic) has the auto-4WD transmission. With 83,000 miles, the vehicle has operated reasonably well to this point. However, today while driving on dry streets, the dash lights that show "4WD high" and "4WD low" began to intermittently flash, sometimes alternating bethween the two, sometimes simultaneously and then would go out for a time period. The lights even flashed when the car was parked with the engine rounning. The vehicle continued to move and I got it home (short drive about 10 miles) but performance was noticeably more sluggish. Does anyone have an idea of what is happening? Is the transmission shifting into and out-of 4WD; or is this just a quirky short? (I would expect the former given the poorer performance). Right now, the car is dead in the water, not wanting to risk any transmission damage.
rlhack is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
caldi55
Boston Ma

97 Eddie bauer

Vehicle Specs

That happens on mine also, its going into the shop tommorow ill let you know the outcome
caldi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Blee1099
Evil Asian
Elkridge, MD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do a search on flashing 4wd lights.. You'll get alot of info on it. Most times, its the shift motor thats needs to be cleaned but it can also be the hall sensor and other sensors.
Blee1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:59 PM   #4
rlhack
Corona, CA
1998 4 Dr, 4WD XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
THanks for the quick guide/tips. I did the search as suggested and it seems to indicate that either the speed sensors or the shift motor. I would tend to not think the latter since the car has not been on anything other than street pavement for the last 6+ months. Nevertheless, the guidance is terrific and it will give me some ammunition when I try to get it serviced.

Thanks. Any additional input is appreciated. Great Web site and information forum!!
rlhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:08 PM   #5
paul99explorer
Charleston, WV
99 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mine started flashing a while back, but I didn't really notice any performance issues. It was like that for a few weeks until I cleaned my MAF sensor. After cleaning it, I unplugged the neg. battery terminal for about 20 minutes to reset the ECU. The lights haven't been back on since. Just thought I would throw that out there.
paul99explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
Bandido
Detroit, MI sometimes Germany
98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

refreshening this thread... PLEASE Help

ok, just a quick question to the same topic.
I know I should search, but I am on a weekend trip and am sitting in a hotel right now...

I also had this 6-times flashing of 4x4High and 4x4Low. It suddenly came on after 5 hours Highway driving! 4x4 doesn't engage anymore or at least the light in the dash doesn't come on. You can hear clicking and when you shift into low or back, it kinda clunks sometimes in the drivetrain.
Can I drive the X home the 500miles on Sun??? Or should I try to get something fixed tomorrow morning? As far as I can find a shop open...

Thanks, I really appreciate any answer...

EX:
1998 XLT, SOHC 4.0, stock baby
2004 Mini Cooper S
Bandido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
TPLYNCH
Brewster, NY
1999 XLS

Vehicle Specs

It's a little late, but if you haven't yet, try resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for 15-30 minutes. You should be able to drive, as long as you don't feel the front end binding when you are making sharp turns etc.

"Forget world peace. Visualize using your turn signal."
TPLYNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:57 PM   #8
Bandido
98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

thanks tplynch, yeah it is a little late. I am already back home... The lights stopped flashing the next day.
When I drove home on Sun after 1 hour of Highway driving they started flashing again! But I drove home and this morning on my way to work they didn't flash. So it must have something to do with the highway driving (70-80mph)

Maybe some sensor or the not enough fluid or so? I gotta check that later. But now, when the lights are not flashing I can shift into 4x4 high and low.
When the lights were flashing, it clicked but didn't engage in either one...

EX:
2004 Mini Cooper S
Old 11-30-2004, 01:36 PM   #9
TPLYNCH
Brewster, NY
1999 XLS

Vehicle Specs

The sequence of the flashes indicates the problem code. 6 flashes, repeated every minute or so is an indication of speed sensor issue for example. I'd check the simple stuff first, connections/fluid level etc., then see what happens.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:55 PM   #10
Bandido
98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

so if a sensor is broke, I can't shift into 4x4? What exactly does the sensor sense? I mean it is called speed sensor, but what speed does it note?

EX:
2004 Mini Cooper S
Old 12-02-2004, 02:39 PM   #11
TPLYNCH
Brewster, NY
1999 XLS

Vehicle Specs

It measures the difference in speed between the front drive axle and the rear axle. If they sense to great a difference in axle speed (tires spinning in rear), the GEM knows to apply the clutch in the T/F case to send power to the front wheels until the axle speeds are the same, then it disengages power to the front unless it senses differences in axle speeds, at which point it would apply power to the front again. That's how the Auto 4x4 works. In Hi, the clutch is locked so that 50% power goes to front and back. In Low, there is an actual shift into a reduced gearing. The clutch is not engaged. Depending on what codes the case is throwing, it may not allow 4x4 to engage if doing so could cause damage to the system.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #12
Bandido
98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I know this is the 911 Forum, but thanks for clearing that!!

EX:
2004 Mini Cooper S
Old 12-29-2004, 08:04 PM   #13
cindeelou
North Attleboro, Ma
1998 Exp. Sport

Vehicle Specs

I am having the same problem, it happened after I had my lower ball joints replaced ( coincidental??) But when it is in 4wd and turning it really binds up and makes a horrible noises.....what is it doing and why???
cindeelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:41 PM   #14
TPLYNCH
Brewster, NY
1999 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Cindee, exactly which 4x4 are you in when it does this.... Auto, 4Hi or 4Low? If 4Hi or Low, if you are driving on pavement, it will bind and make all sorts of nasty noises. Hi and Low should not be used on pavement or non slippery surfaces.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
dickypooh
Corinth,Ky
1998 Ford Explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

anybody help me my 98 ex 4wd hi 4wd lo started flashing and wont go in 4wd just hindin spins any thoughts
dickypooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page