2004 Electronic Throttle Hesitation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Electronic Throttle Hesitation

xltbluesport

Reaction score
City, State
St. Paul, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT Sport 4WD 4Door
My 2004 XLT sport (2200 Miles) has a hesitation when doing a slight acceleration. It’s most noticeable when driving under 15 MPH, letting off the gas and trying to accelerate slightly. I’ve been in traffic jams the last month and this is when it shows up the most. Also when driving around a street corner, I let off the gas and try to accelerate after I go around the corner. It lunges slightly when the vehicle eventually takes off. Reminds me of a bad accelerator pump on an older carbureted vehicle.
I took it to the dealer last week for a "Service Engine Soon" light and the hesitation issue. The mechanic test drove the vehicle but said this could be typical of the “drive by wireâ€￾ now on the 2004 Explorer.
They reprogrammed the PCM with updated software and reset the light. I thought the hesitation was better, but now I’m not so sure. It’s definitely still irritating.

Anyone else notice this on a 2004 with the new electronic throttle?

Everyone

Every DBW car I have ever driven has a lag. Everyone. Explorer, F-150, M-class, LS430, X5, A4, A6, 5-series, jetta, Magnum, and 300C. Some are better and some are worse, but the lag is there on everyone.

Aussie Ex had same issue.

I had a similar problem with mine (even check engine message)and since they replaced the electronic accelerator pedal it has been a heap better.
hope this helps mate.

I found a post (below) on Blue Oval News that describes much better than I could everything that I experience. I don't care for this but it looks like I'll just have to live with it.

"The 2004 Explorers have a "Fly by wire" electronic throttle control. I don't know when this was started. In general, it gives smoother control, but you can't rush it - it requires a slow and patient application of the accelerator pedal. For one example, if you are off the accelerator ,coasting, approaching a corner, then you start adding power, there is a pause while the PCM decides what it is going to do. If you add the power too quickly, you catch it as it is deciding to shift gears and you get a shift that is not smooth, and if done too quickly, you get a bump as it shifts."

Back