Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

Trouble code P0443

Old 10-14-2004, 09:33 PM   #1
Doug
I'm Awesome!
Home is where the Army tells me. Right now it's Manorville, NY

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Trouble code P0443

I finally got my codes read at autozone and I got code P0443. I know it's something related to the evap. system but other than that I can't seem to find out much more. Any one know what part(s) need to be checked/replaced?

( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:09 AM   #2
Doug
I'm Awesome!

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Bumpity Bump, come on someone have an idea, i don't want to go ask Ford, they'll probably charge me eleventy billion dollars to tell me whats wrong.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:34 AM   #3
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not where I have access to my ODB-II materials but from memory, it's a gross leak - meaning a leak equal to a .060 hole in the system...check all your fittings and the cap....when I am where I can check out the book on it I'll see if a) My memory is any good and b) what you can do.

EDIT. Ok I am stupid. It is NOT a gross leak but a purge valve circuit error. The purge valve is near the power steering pump as I recall... check your wiring, but in all liklihood for once a code MAY actually point to a bad component. It will have 2 hoses coming off of it, one goes to the charcoal cannister.... Not sure how you would test it.... but I am guessing that barring any obvious wire issues, it is the valve itself.... sorry for the earlier bad info. I left it up so you know I am just like all of us... and make mistakes too - a LOT !

Last edited by Glacier991; 10-16-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:38 AM   #4
Blee1099
Evil Asian
Elkridge, MD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It refers to your EVAP system/Emissions. Try cleaning your IAC.. I've heard that replacing the PCM can also correct it but I wouldn't go that route unless it was a definate. Not sure if it would be related to your 02 sensors or not.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:10 AM   #5
xltbluesport
St. Paul, MN
2004 XLT Sport 4WD 4Door

Vehicle Specs

This is a copy / paste from a search on the web...

* P0443- Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction

* Generic OBD II codes are written in a standardized format. The first letter indicates the vehicle function: Body, Chassis or Powertrain. Code P0443 begins with the letter “P”, which indicates a powertrain code. The next character tells us whether it is a generic or manufacturer specific code. “0” is generic, so P0443 is a generic code. The next three characters tell us more about the problem area. In this case a “4” indicates an auxiliary emission control code. The last two characters tell us that the code refers to “EVAP system – Purge valve circuit malfunction.”

* P0443 indicates an electrical problem in the charcoal cannister purge
valve. Since it's in a rather hostile environment, check the connector first to be sure the contacts are bright and shiney and that the connector is undamaged and pushed all the way in - should be that tiny little 'click' as the lock tab engages. If there is any doubt at all, make sure all is clean and tight,
clear codes and see if it returns.... if so, there's about an 80% chance
that it's the Evap Purge solenoid.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
Doug
I'm Awesome!

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I had a feeling it was the charcoal canister, I'll check it out today and hopefully that'll get rid of my check engine light and fix the super crappy gas mileage im getting.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page