Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

thermostat stuck open?

Old 10-31-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
LAExplorer
Torrance, Ca
'97 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
thermostat stuck open?

I wonder if someone can help me out... My engine will not heat up much past the low mark on the H2O temp gauge, even when towing. I think the check engine light is probably related to this issue. As far as I can tell, the thermo must be a "fail open" type. Is this the original thermo? I bought the X used so I'm not sure if this is a factory part or not. If I just go to the local parts store will the O.E.M. thermo also be a "fail open"? Do I have to order a special one? I like the safety of not having a $20 part turning into a $2500 problem. Other than guzzling more $2.60 regular gas than normal (and the heater never getting that warm) am I hurting anything? How do I reset the idiot light? I tried to unplug the battery but it didn't change anything. Thanks.

more to come... (aal, tt, shackles 33"+...)
LAExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-31-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
wired_af
Wichita, KS
'98 Sport

Vehicle Specs

I don't know about the "fail open" or whatever, but when my t-stat was stuck open I didn't get the CEL. If I were you I would just replace the t-stat and see if it fixes it.

wired_af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
Robb

Vehicle Specs

Your stock t-stat will be a traditional "fail close" t-stat. But it is possible for it to stick open and stay that way. If you have a concern about the stat being to blame, go ahead and replace it. It will only run you about $5 + antifreeze.

To tell you the truth though, I have replaced the stat in my '95 several times, and the gauge always hangs out at the low end of the scale. The gauge just isn't very accurate.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:05 PM   #4
unclemeat
Elite Explorer
Richmond, VA

91 sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Are you getting lots of hot air out of the heater? Does the temperature of the air heat up after running the engine? That should tell you if it is the gauge or the termostat.
unclemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
huskyfan23
Rah no Hans Bwix
WA

1994 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I had one stuck open and my gauge wouldn't move much at all. You could also have a bad sender but I'd think it's the t-stat.

I'm no doctor, but I am a self-proclaimed genius. There's no reason not to trust me.
What kind of dessert causes women to gain the most weight? Wedding cake
huskyfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
jayhawkexplorer
Elite Explorer
Mission, Kansas

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Bringing back an old topic. I'm wondering if my thermostat is alright too. The outside temp has been in the mid to high 30's lately, and when driving on highway or in town, my temp gauge doesn't ever move much more then 1/5 of the way up the scale. I know in the '03 Ranger at work with the same gauge cluster, it moves to exactly halfway up and stays there. I've still got plenty of heat, except out of the far left vent, so I don't quite know what to think.

To answer another part of this question, you can buy a "fail safe" thermostat which will stay open when it fails. They cost around $11 but its well worth the investment, in my mind.

Had a Mazda Protege5 for 32 days before it got totaled by a fellow driver, now owner of an '03 Mazda 6s.
jayhawkexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
LAExplorer
Torrance, Ca
'97 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I just changed the t-stat and found that the small arms that hold the thing together had completely snapped off, fortunately in the open position. I don't think modern t-stats can fail closed and the guy at Auto Zone said the same thing. The difficult thing, other than getting at the damn thing, is that there were 2 different stats spec'd for my year and engine (4.0 sohc, 1997), I know of no way to know which is which, before you have thing taken apart (mine turned out to be the bigger and nominally more expensive one, $8 vs. $15). Also, the idiot light stayed on for a short time after the install, but eventually it went out.

more to come... (aal, tt, shackles 33"+...)
LAExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
jayhawkexplorer
Elite Explorer
Mission, Kansas

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Don't trust AutoZone on anything. Those guys are for the most part, idiots. Cheap thermostats can still most definitely get stuck closed. That's why there's products like the "Fail Safe" line, which fail and stay open.

Had a Mazda Protege5 for 32 days before it got totaled by a fellow driver, now owner of an '03 Mazda 6s.
jayhawkexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #9
Robb

Vehicle Specs

ALL thermostats, outside of Fail-Safe (and its couple of clones), ARE fail close thermostats. If it looks like a typical thermostat, it is fail close. The Fail-Safes look quite different.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page