Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

throw-out bearing?

Old 11-05-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
thumper73
Boston, MA
1993 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
US throw-out bearing?

Help in cost and what to expect.

my 1993 explorer [standard trans and 114,000 miles] just through out its throw-out bearing [no pun intended] this afternoon. Had it towed to the garage.

1. what can I expect to hear from the mechanic in cost?

2. would a new clutch be part of the fix?

3. would it be easier to have a automatic trans replace the standard transmission cost wise? It this is going to cost $800-$1000 for the repair a bearing, $1200 for a standard transmission would be a better deal. YES/NO

4. anything else I have not though of in fixing/replacing/repairing the truck.

thanks, oh and question #3 is just a thought. after all the truck is 12 years old and 114,000 miles.
thumper73 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-05-2004, 05:42 PM   #2
fordby4
Santa FE New Mexico
92 xlt

Vehicle Specs

I dont think switching to an automatic tranny would be a cheap solution. The mechanic will have to drop the tranny to replace the throughout bearing/ slave cylinder so it is not really that the parts cost that much it is the labor. I would have him put in a new clutch and reface the fly-wheel while he has the tranny down.
fordby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
Ford_Racing_Guy
Spencer, Wisconsin
'92 XLT & '98 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

well this is what i heard from a mechanic i used to work, about the hydraulic clutches,

he told me that if your going through all the trouble of taking everything apart you mind as well replace everything and be done with it, as in the pilot bearing, the throwout bearing, the slave cylinder and the clutch itself

06 Yamaha R1
Ford_Racing_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
Az_NavajoRob
Tucson, Az
'91 Navajo

Vehicle Specs

I agree with fordby4. The cost associated with installing the auto, plus the downside of putting in a problomatic tranny, far outweigh the minimal cost of replacing the clutch and throughout bearing. You're probably looking at $400.00 - $500.00 to have it done. If you are handy and can do it yourself, about $150.00.
Az_NavajoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:00 PM   #5
spindlecone
B
San Jose, Calif
2003 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

Just had the clutch done on my 1/2 ton gmc beater (94) New OEM disc and pressor plate, re-surface-balance flywheel, new bearing, new pilot bearing, replace leaking rear main seal, flush hyd system, 800 bux, is one of those things you gotta do it all with 175K miles
spindlecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:11 PM   #6
Robb

Vehicle Specs

A lot of places charge $400-$500 just to pull the tranny and reinstall it (which will be 90% of the labor). Then add on a couple-a few hundred for the clutch kit, bearings, and s.c., flywheel (or resurfacing), and a little more time to install that stuff.

Not a cheap job to have some do, but the DIY cost would only be a couple hundred.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:01 AM   #7
thumper73
Boston, MA
1993 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thnanks for the help, guys!

But DO IT YOURSELF is not an option. The only car tools I own are a set of socket wrenches. Other than that, my mechanical ability is nil.
thumper73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:19 AM   #8
Dakota1358
Cockeysville,Md
'93 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Just replaced throw out bearing and clutch on mine.clutch was $189 and bearing/slave cylinder assembly was $70 did the work myself.I'd buy all the parts and if you can't do it yourself ask around and find someone who can do the work cheap.
Dakota1358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page